Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 198505 times)

renrew

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #540 on: September 05, 2021, 01:34:50 AM »
Hi there,
that's not included in the frame Chris can't get it either. It is the original cover of the Tarmac SL7. I got it from a Specialized dealer.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 01:36:51 AM by renrew »

Zoc

« Reply #541 on: September 06, 2021, 06:47:52 AM »
still looking for a seatpost with 0 offset for the VB-R-168,
does anybody has the chance to check if the tarmac 7 seatpost fits?
or any other recommondations
thanks

renrew

« Reply #542 on: September 06, 2021, 09:07:49 AM »
I posted it on page 31, the original SL7 support does not fit

1Sigma

« Reply #543 on: September 09, 2021, 07:04:51 PM »
Finally!  I've only had time to pick at the build 15-30minutes at a time so it took forever.
Wrong paint color notwithstanding, here are the other hiccups I experienced(mostly trivial):
- Brake cable exit hole on fork had some flaking carbon
- One of the Front brake mount screw holes was not deep enough, requiring use of an extra washer as a spacer
- Handlebar carbon is a bit messy inside making routing fiddly
- Rear brake mounts slightly misaligned, resulting in the slightest rub once per revolution (even if I manually open the Juin Tech calipers the whole way). It'll probably be fine once the pads are bedded
- some minor cosmetic scratches

And here is the good:
+ Weight was within specified, including hardware
+ Other than handlebars routing was super easy
+ Carbon looked super clean on the inside, other than deep in the fork
+ BB pressed in very cleanly

End build is a 1x12 based on the Sensah Empire Pro.
Showroom weight (without pedals) = 7.58kg
Weight with pedals and cages = 7.79kg
Real-world weight (with computer mount, computer, lights, Airtag, repair kit) = 8.6kg

UPDATE:  Included my parts and pricing.  All prices are Canadian Dollars, incl. taxes, duties, and shipping where applicable.  Weights are a mixture of estimates and actual, so differ from the final measured weight (probably some parts came in lower than advertised, and losses from cutting cables, handlebar tape, steerer, etc.)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 09:27:44 AM by 1Sigma »
Better than average - Extra Average

jokage

« Reply #544 on: September 09, 2021, 11:42:50 PM »
A quick return of experience after some rides, during the last one I lost one part of the bike who is holding the derailleur hanger  >:( >:(

I've ask to Chris to send me this set of spare parts, I'm wating his reply.

Thanks to this, I've got mine checked before it's too late. They are quite loose, so I applied some threadlocker just now.

Interestingly, I've got a spare inside the frameset package box. Probably a bonus?

stmbike

« Reply #545 on: September 10, 2021, 02:33:42 AM »
I ordered a vb-r-168 frame this week with custom paint light metallic silver.
Size 58cm, my saddle height is 79cm.. I had doubts between 56 or 58, but my current bike has stack 586 and I also use spacers, so I prefer to go with 58. Also, I think it would be too much exposed seatpost in size 56 (only 496mm of seattube).

Chris told me that the frame is in stock and he is arranging for the paint, 10-14 days. Will see the times :).

Thanks all for sharing your experiences, amazing info!

GilardiRT

« Reply #546 on: September 10, 2021, 03:48:57 AM »
I ordered a vb-r-168 frame this week with custom paint light metallic silver.
Size 58cm, my saddle height is 79cm.. I had doubts between 56 or 58, but my current bike has stack 586 and I also use spacers, so I prefer to go with 58. Also, I think it would be too much exposed seatpost in size 56 (only 496mm of seattube).

Chris told me that the frame is in stock and he is arranging for the paint, 10-14 days. Will see the times :).

Thanks all for sharing your experiences, amazing info!

Mine has been shipped on 28th of August, the tracking is still giving no information about it, it just says "info transmitted to DPD" that's it

OlieSimpson

« Reply #547 on: September 10, 2021, 05:14:28 AM »
Mine has been shipped on 28th of August, the tracking is still giving no information about it, it just says "info transmitted to DPD" that's it

Same with mine, I spoke to Chris and he explained that part 1 of the shipping, out of China, is managed by WXY Logistics (I think), he gave me a separate tracking code for WXY which showed a more detailed tracking process.

DPD only took charge of the package once it had cleared customs here in the Netherlands, once they had the package the DPD link was updated with relevant tracking info.

**EDIT**
For comparison my frame was shipped on 23/08 and delivered to the Netherlands 07/09 with no additional customs to pay via WXY/DPD. Unfortunately I'm out of the country so have not actually seen the frame yet, I get back on 14/09 and can't wait to unpack it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 05:39:59 AM by OlieSimpson »

GilardiRT

« Reply #548 on: September 10, 2021, 06:37:55 AM »
Same with mine, I spoke to Chris and he explained that part 1 of the shipping, out of China, is managed by WXY Logistics (I think), he gave me a separate tracking code for WXY which showed a more detailed tracking process.

DPD only took charge of the package once it had cleared customs here in the Netherlands, once they had the package the DPD link was updated with relevant tracking info.

**EDIT**
For comparison my frame was shipped on 23/08 and delivered to the Netherlands 07/09 with no additional customs to pay via WXY/DPD. Unfortunately I'm out of the country so have not actually seen the frame yet, I get back on 14/09 and can't wait to unpack it.
Thanks so much for explaining, mine has to arrive in Italy, so probably I will see it next week, I'm looking forward to receive it

stmbike

« Reply #549 on: September 10, 2021, 07:22:51 AM »
In my case is for Spain.
But I’ve to wait before for the custom paint… by your comments the paint could be 10 days or 2 month

GilardiRT

« Reply #550 on: September 10, 2021, 07:39:31 AM »
In my case is for Spain.
But I’ve to wait before for the custom paint… by your comments the paint could be 10 days or 2 month
I got it ud black, cheaper, lighter, and shipped faster

OlieSimpson

« Reply #551 on: September 10, 2021, 01:27:56 PM »
In my case is for Spain.

I ordered a size small (52) VB-R-168 with custom paint and also custom decals (in 4 different positions on the frame). I made sure both the frame size and bar choice (400/90) were both in stock before placing the order.

It was paid for on 2nd August, shipped on 23rd August, and delivered to the Netherlands on 7th September. I only received a picture of the finalised frame on 23rd August along with the tracking code and shipment confirmation.

stmbike

« Reply #552 on: September 10, 2021, 04:19:22 PM »
That’s one month from order to habe it at home. Good!
Would be great. Will see in my case, but honestly, I dont have urgency. It’s my third buid.. I sold the first one one build (exept the frame) and currently I’m riding the second one, so let’s say is only for hobbie.. but you know.. after order it I’m ansious to receive it and start the build :)

1Sigma

« Reply #553 on: September 11, 2021, 09:27:30 PM »
Thanks to this, I've got mine checked before it's too late. They are quite loose, so I applied some threadlocker just now.

Interestingly, I've got a spare inside the frameset package box. Probably a bonus?

I think so.  I received a spare as well
Better than average - Extra Average

curvenut

« Reply #554 on: September 13, 2021, 08:14:11 PM »
Hi,

On the page of velobuild,  the spec for VB-R-168 Frame show a bttom bracket  :  BB86

I want to build with the ultegra groupset, that comes with the BBR60.

the question is : is it the same thing : BBR60 and BB86 ????
If not what bottom brakcet I have to buy to fit the Shimano Ultegra R8000 Chainset - 11 Speed ?

note: why bottom bracket so complex for no reasons !?

Thanks