Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 198433 times)

jokage

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #555 on: September 13, 2021, 11:06:10 PM »
the question is : is it the same thing : BBR60 and BB86 ????

nope. BBR60 is threaded while the frame accepts pressfit BB.

You'd need to get https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/ultegra-r8100/SM-BB72-41.html or get something with ceramic bearings while at it.

OlieSimpson

« Reply #557 on: September 14, 2021, 03:29:44 AM »
Took delivery of my frame today, very impressed with the initial inspection!

To begin with, the packaging was fantastic. The outer cardboard box was largely intact with only 1 small rip, it was nowhere near the frame internally so I had no concerns.

The frame etc. was then completely wrapped in bubble wrap and foam so arrived with zero damage.

The carbon then looks great on the frame, forks, bars and seat post, and the custom paint (Purple Chameleon fading down to Gloss Black) along with the custom decals is exactly as I requested.

I'll do a more thorough inspection once I have a bit more time but so far so good!

stmbike

« Reply #558 on: September 14, 2021, 06:57:23 AM »
Hi,

On the page of velobuild,  the spec for VB-R-168 Frame show a bttom bracket  :  BB86

I want to build with the ultegra groupset, that comes with the BBR60.

the question is : is it the same thing : BBR60 and BB86 ????
If not what bottom brakcet I have to buy to fit the Shimano Ultegra R8000 Chainset - 11 Speed ?

note: why bottom bracket so complex for no reasons !?

Thanks

Yo can use the Shomano SM-BB7241 bottom bracket for the R8000 in BB86

1Sigma

« Reply #559 on: September 14, 2021, 10:31:57 AM »
Question. 
Noticed a couple lines within under the paint on the left side of the fork.

Is this an issue or not? Is it maybe excess carbon to reinforce the area around the brake?  Do you 168 forks have something similar?(if you do, I am assuming it is part of the manufacturing)

UPDATE: Chris get back to me and believes it is an imperfection in the base coats of paint or resin.
He does not believe it to be an issue. 
I don’t see any other obvious signs of there being a problem, so I’ll just keep riding on it and keep an eye on it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 07:59:24 AM by 1Sigma »
Better than average - Extra Average

roghax85

« Reply #560 on: September 14, 2021, 10:50:38 AM »
finished the Bild today
everything fits perfekt, quality of the Painting is top

used a sram force Etap Got it  from  my local bike dealer,  1 month delivery shorter than  the frame
torx for the axle is 40 sorry for the confusion,

hope i  can fo for a first ride tomorrow

Hello, this its my first post. I am keep this post days ago, try to decide to get this frame.

bro one question, about the frame its bb86 and you are using DUB crank, how its work, the bearings are very small... how many kms do you have on the bike problems ?

OlieSimpson

« Reply #561 on: September 14, 2021, 11:04:06 AM »
Question. 
Noticed a couple lines within under the paint on the left side of the fork.

Is this an issue or not? Is it maybe excess carbon to reinforce the area around the brake?  Do you 168 forks have something similar?(if you do, I am assuming it is part of the manufacturing)

Just checked my fork and can't see anything on the left hand fork leg that looks like 2x lines on yours.

curvenut

« Reply #562 on: September 14, 2021, 11:55:45 AM »
Yo can use the Shomano SM-BB7241 bottom bracket for the R8000 in BB86

In fact i just notie this frame is press fit.
I am not really into press fit and really prefer threaded.

Does this frame has an option for threaded ?

1Sigma

« Reply #563 on: September 14, 2021, 12:16:17 PM »
In fact i just notie this frame is press fit.
I am not really into press fit and really prefer threaded.

Does this frame has an option for threaded ?

I do not think it does.  Although, I had great success using a threaded PF bottom bracket. 
No BB press, self-aligning, creak resistant, installs with a normal Hollowtech II BB wrench
Took me 2 minutes to install

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32856311570.html

1Sigma

« Reply #564 on: September 14, 2021, 12:17:36 PM »
Just checked my fork and can't see anything on the left hand fork leg that looks like 2x lines on yours.

Thanks Olie.  I shot an email to Chris, for his opinion. 
I hope it is just a cosmetic carbon lay-up imperfection

renrew

« Reply #565 on: September 14, 2021, 04:43:54 PM »
Hi there,
what do you do against the sliding seat post ???? ::)

kbike

« Reply #566 on: September 14, 2021, 06:19:07 PM »
These are my current projects. The 168 and 086 frames. I've always used plastidip on my frames. It allows me to peal to base and do a new paint every year or two. Plastidip doesn't come close to normal paint. The major issue is pealing and taping lines. I do hope you guys enjoy seeing how these bikes turn out.

jokage

« Reply #567 on: September 14, 2021, 10:28:16 PM »
Hi there,
what do you do against the sliding seat post ???? ::)
Slipping seatpost!! My problem for quite some time.

I've tried carbon paste, but it didn't work because the problem was that there's not enough contact area between the wedge and the seatpost.

My current solution is using a pure aluminium plate. I cut the plate so it's covering the wedge with enough margins and slip it between the wedge and the post. The plate increases contact area. And I use pure aluminium as it's pretty soft so it reduces the chance to damage the seatpost.

renrew

« Reply #568 on: September 15, 2021, 01:06:16 AM »
Slipping seatpost!! My problem for quite some time.

I've tried carbon paste, but it didn't work because the problem was that there's not enough contact area between the wedge and the seatpost.

My current solution is using a pure aluminium plate. I cut the plate so it's covering the wedge with enough margins and slip it between the wedge and the post. The plate increases contact area. And I use pure aluminium as it's pretty soft so it reduces the chance to damage the seatpost.

Great idea,
how thick is the sheet ... 0.5 mm ?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 03:49:23 AM by renrew »

jokage

« Reply #569 on: September 15, 2021, 06:53:35 AM »
Great idea,
how thick is the sheet ... 0.5 mm ?
mine is 0.3mm. 0.5mm should work.