Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201023 times)

1Sigma

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #840 on: January 19, 2022, 08:49:34 PM »
Hi guys, thank you for all your advice, here is finally my bike mounted.
Very happy final weight:7 kg pedals.
Two exits the first two hours per setup, the second over 4 hours and a drop 1600 meters, excellent sensations.

Nice build! Very impressive weight!
Better than average - Extra Average

stmbike

« Reply #841 on: January 21, 2022, 09:47:44 AM »
Hi guys, just an update.
I’ve solved the little play of the steerer with this expander.
https://www.lordgunbicycles.es/expander-direccion-specialized-road-mtb-carbon

BTW, more than 1.500km, still very happy!

renrew

« Reply #842 on: January 21, 2022, 12:43:49 PM »
I have the same expander 0 problems
nice bike :)

OlieSimpson

« Reply #843 on: January 23, 2022, 02:40:32 AM »
Posted this in the VB-R-177 thread but thought I'd replicate it in here. I'd love to know the below torque settings and I'm sure it would help other users going forwards  :)

If someone could fill in the blanks and/or verify my assumptions it would be greatly appreciated:

Shifter Bar Clamps - ??Nm
Steerer Tube Compression Plug - 8Nm
Steerer Tube Top Cap - ??Nm
Steer Tube Stem Clamp - 6Nm
Computer Mount - ??Nm
Front Brake Calliper - ??Nm
Front Axle - 10Nm
Front Dropout Aluminium Insert - ??Nm
Seat Post Wedge - 6Nm
Seat Clamp - 6Nm
Front Derailleur Braze On Mount - ??Nm
Rear Derailleur - ??Nm
Rear Brake Calliper - ??Nm
Rear Axle - 10Nm
Rear Dropout Aluminium Insert - ??Nm

I think that would cover everything, however if there are others you think would be helpful please add them to the list  :)

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 03:44:41 AM by OlieSimpson »

dalon

« Reply #844 on: January 23, 2022, 10:09:11 AM »
Hi guys, just an update.
I’ve solved the little play of the steerer with this expander.
https://www.lordgunbicycles.es/expander-direccion-specialized-road-mtb-carbon

BTW, more than 1.500km, still very happy!

I confirm, I have the same expander 0 problems.

p.s. I live near Lordgunbicycles, very serious and safe seller.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 10:16:33 AM by dalon »

dalon

« Reply #845 on: January 23, 2022, 10:15:38 AM »
Posted this in the VB-R-177 thread but thought I'd replicate it in here. I'd love to know the below torque settings and I'm sure it would help other users going forwards  :)

If someone could fill in the blanks and/or verify my assumptions it would be greatly appreciated:

Shifter Bar Clamps - ??Nm
Steerer Tube Compression Plug - 8Nm
Steerer Tube Top Cap - ??Nm
Steer Tube Stem Clamp - 6Nm
Computer Mount - ??Nm
Front Brake Calliper - ??Nm
Front Axle - 10Nm
Front Dropout Aluminium Insert - ??Nm
Seat Post Wedge - 6Nm
Seat Clamp - 6Nm
Front Derailleur Braze On Mount - ??Nm
Rear Derailleur - ??Nm
Rear Brake Calliper - ??Nm
Rear Axle - 10Nm
Rear Dropout Aluminium Insert - ??Nm

I think that would cover everything, however if there are others you think would be helpful please add them to the list  :)

Thanks in advance!
I like old and good mechanical of bicycles, as when the dinanometric keys did not exist, I narrowed  everything without key. Just a little attention and manual skills.

Zdrenka89

« Reply #846 on: January 26, 2022, 03:02:18 AM »
I have a couple of road races coming up with significant amounts of gravel sections, so I have been trying to maximize the tire space in the frame. The split for one race is around 15% tame gravel/85% asphalt and 45% tame gravel / 55% asphalt for the other.
I have been looking for high volume road tyres with lower rolling resistance compared to gravel tires.

I currently have Vittoria Terreno Zero's in 32c and they are very puncture resistant but noticeably slower than a road tire (as it probably should be). Very good if there is a high risk of punctures or a need for more grip.

Schwalbe have a 34c model of their Pro One Evo TLE which I picked up. I mounted them on Light Bicycle WR45's which are 25mm internal (hooked). They measure 33,5mm.

Surprisingly there is still a bit of space. Obviously they are narrower than advertised but it probably also has to do with the lack of knobs and that the wide rim gives the tire a lower profile.
I would say if you have wide rims the bike could probably handle a 35mm WAM slick tire if you can live with minimal mud clearance. Anyone wanna sponser me some Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass  ;D ?

RDY

« Reply #847 on: January 26, 2022, 04:00:09 AM »
I have a couple of road races coming up with significant amounts of gravel sections, so I have been trying to maximize the tire space in the frame. The split for one race is around 15% tame gravel/85% asphalt and 45% tame gravel / 55% asphalt for the other.
I have been looking for high volume road tyres with lower rolling resistance compared to gravel tires.

I currently have Vittoria Terreno Zero's in 32c and they are very puncture resistant but noticeably slower than a road tire (as it probably should be). Very good if there is a high risk of punctures or a need for more grip.

Schwalbe have a 34c model of their Pro One Evo TLE which I picked up. I mounted them on Light Bicycle WR45's which are 25mm internal (hooked). They measure 33,5mm.

Surprisingly there is still a bit of space. Obviously they are narrower than advertised but it probably also has to do with the lack of knobs and that the wide rim gives the tire a lower profile.
I would say if you have wide rims the bike could probably handle a 35mm WAM slick tire if you can live with minimal mud clearance. Anyone wanna sponser me some Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass  ;D ?

Try Challenge Strada Bianca or Panaracer Gravelking Slicks
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 05:52:51 AM by RDY »

Zdrenka89

« Reply #848 on: January 26, 2022, 04:43:46 AM »
No need to qoute the pictures RDY :)

Yeah those tires could be interesting to try if these tires prove to have insufficient puncture resistance. The Strada Bianchi is on the limit though as its a 36mm tire.

I am also interested to try Pirelli Cinturato 35c. I tried a 26mm version of the tire on another bike, but i found the sidewall a bit to thin for harsh gravel. Should be ok for tame gravel though.

dalon

« Reply #849 on: January 26, 2022, 07:13:37 AM »
Hi guys,

Why in the Topic of the Chinese frame Velobuild VB-R-168, we talk, write about tires??
Write a new Topic, for gravel tires, so it is more visible and not hidden in that of the frame.

thanks in advance
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 07:18:06 AM by dalon »

Zdrenka89

« Reply #850 on: January 26, 2022, 09:58:05 AM »
Hi guys,

Why in the Topic of the Chinese frame Velobuild VB-R-168, we talk, write about tires??
Write a new Topic, for gravel tires, so it is more visible and not hidden in that of the frame.

thanks in advance

Because people care about tire clearance obviously

OlieSimpson

« Reply #851 on: January 26, 2022, 01:41:00 PM »
Hi guys, thank you for all your advice, here is finally my bike mounted.
Very happy final weight:7 kg pedals.
Two exits the first two hours per setup, the second over 4 hours and a drop 1600 meters, excellent sensations.

Very impressive weight indeed!

I've weighed each and every part on my VB-R-168 and I'm estimating the final weight at around 8131g. A full list of weights can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JRhus6SxSn-_OqfEiuNH-_bxQrsS67ouus0gICANTKk/edit?usp=sharing

Everything in white is actual weight as measured by myself and the yellow highlighted cells are claimed weights taken from the manufacturer website. These will be updated once I take the parts off my current bike and will be weighed before being installed on the 168. I'm still in the process of building the bike so I don't have an actual confirmed final weight yet.

You can also see a link to most of the parts I'm using, including the tools needed to assemble the bike + the cost of each item in tab Bike | Parts List if you're interested.

I'm struggling to see how I could drop nearly 1.2kg from my estimated weight to get to your 7kg build, as none of my parts are particularly heavy.

I am planning on swapping the cranks for Magene P325CS 50/34 in 165mm, rotors for Galfer and pedals for Ultegra SPD-SL, however this would drop 400g at best so would put the bike at around 7800g.

Any other recommendations?

Nickk2000

« Reply #852 on: January 26, 2022, 07:54:06 PM »
Im calling bull on the 7 kg with pedals, because the sl7 weighs the same. Only weight savings i can see are really shallow wheels (shave 100g) and the handlebar (shave maybe 50?), tires ect, maybe 200 TOPS. Sl7 is 6.8. The frame/fork.seatpost is plus like 300-400g minimum.

Greenred

« Reply #853 on: January 27, 2022, 02:23:44 AM »
Hi Olie, nice list. It takes some patience listing it out on that level, I know it from experience.

Now let me tell you the obvious: the more you list and measure (the more detailed it gets), the heavier your bike gets.
While some are interested in the actual weight, others are interested in impressing ppl on the internet and only measure some parts, instead of all actual parts of the bike. And: not everyone takes actual weights but many use claimed weights from what I have seen.

The handlebar tape would get lighter when cut.
Btw, wondering, which top cap replacement did you use for the integrated bars?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 02:52:28 AM by Greenred »

OlieSimpson

« Reply #854 on: January 27, 2022, 03:09:17 AM »
Hi Olie, nice list. It takes some patience listing it out on that level, I know it from experience.

Now let me tell you the obvious: the more you list and measure (the more detailed it gets), the heavier your bike gets.
While some are interested in the actual weight, others are interested in impressing ppl on the internet and only measure some parts, instead of all actual parts of the bike. And: not everyone takes actual weights but many use claimed weights from what I have seen.

The handlebar tape would get lighter when cut.
Btw, wondering, which top cap replacement did you use for the integrated bars?

Hey Greenred,

For sure I agree with everything you've said  :)

I'm still interested to know that if they have managed to build the bike at only 7kg how they managed to do that, as I may copy some of their build ideas to try and reduce the weight of mine.

At the end of the day I'll still be more than happy with my build if I can get it down to the around the 7.8kg mark, which should be achievable with the parts I still need to order.

From what I have read, a 1kg weight saving on the bike is the equivalent to around 3-5watts. As I always ride solo I'd be better off just adjusting my body position to be more aero which would yield better gains  ;)

For my top cap, I've bought this one from AliExpress: https://aliexpress.com/item/33026362844.html?

It's the 32mm size and I bought the unbranded top cap which weighs 3g and the black bolt which weighs 7g. I think you can drop another 2g if you choose the gold or rainbow bolt as they are Ti (when I bought it I didn't really read the description and though the black was also Ti). I got the black as I've replaced all of the bolts on my 168 with black Ti bolts so wanted this to match the rest.

I'm actually still on the hunt for another top cap as I want a UD Matte finish to match the bars, as the one I bought only comes in 3K weave. I can't for the life of me find a UD Matte top cap which is a bit annoying haha.