Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 200784 times)

Greenred

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #990 on: April 10, 2022, 11:44:56 AM »
You appear to be implying the 168 is EPS, and badly done EPS.  According to VB only the 177 is EPS.

I state that the vbr168 is done with EPS based on the publicly available VB information, which appears to contradict your information, interestingly.

Edit: as stated by the previous poster it doesn’t seem to be a consistent issue potentially. But in any way it doesn’t speak for a high standardization. Again, for the price, it’s ok
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 11:54:14 AM by Greenred »

RDY

« Reply #991 on: April 11, 2022, 11:46:13 AM »
I  hadn't seen the banner ad claiming that.  The model listing in their shop doesn't and has never claimed EPS, whereas the 177 claims EPS & latex.

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #992 on: April 12, 2022, 07:21:29 AM »
I sent Chris this photo and his response was "Seat post kit like that is normal"...

braincore

« Reply #993 on: April 16, 2022, 10:37:57 PM »
Looking to build another R-168. Have a few questions for all the people who've recently done it (my finished build is on page 12).

- How long does it take from order to shipping for the R-168 these days? I ordered early last year before it got super backed up.
- Are people still using the Wheels MFG BB86/92? Is there a cheaper solution that's still better than pressfit?
- I'm 5'8" and am really happy I got the 52cm. Next bike is for my wife who is 5'5". I'm thinking to get a 52cm again, but wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the 49cm (SL7 sizing chart would still recommend 52cm).
- How's the new integrated handlebar? Does it regress in any way? Once I figured out the old one, it's been smooth sailing, and I actually prefer the lack of exposed bolts.
- I got matte last time, but plan to get that awesome blue paint job that @zdrenka89 and @memebike have. Is there anything to watch out for?
- Non-VB wise, I got a 25mm width wheelset (ICAN) last time for 28mm tubeless tires. Was that wrong? Should I have instead bought a 23mm width wheelset?

memebike

« Reply #994 on: April 16, 2022, 11:29:53 PM »
Looking to build another R-168. Have a few questions for all the people who've recently done it (my finished build is on page 12).

- How long does it take from order to shipping for the R-168 these days? I ordered early last year before it got super backed up.
- Are people still using the Wheels MFG BB86/92? Is there a cheaper solution that's still better than pressfit?
- I'm 5'8" and am really happy I got the 52cm. Next bike is for my wife who is 5'5". I'm thinking to get a 52cm again, but wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the 49cm (SL7 sizing chart would still recommend 52cm).
- How's the new integrated handlebar? Does it regress in any way? Once I figured out the old one, it's been smooth sailing, and I actually prefer the lack of exposed bolts.
- I got matte last time, but plan to get that awesome blue paint job that @zdrenka89 and @memebike have. Is there anything to watch out for?
- Non-VB wise, I got a 25mm width wheelset (ICAN) last time for 28mm tubeless tires. Was that wrong? Should I have instead bought a 23mm width wheelset?

-It took about a month or so from ordering to receiving the frame
-I havent felt the handlebar flex, I weigh 86kgs and pump 1100w sprints fairly often and no issues
-The Blue paint job is awesome, personally i feel like i can see smudges and what not similar to when you hold like a matte black phone so I wipe down my bike every few rides or so.
-Running 28 tubeless on the vb 25wides and they seem fine

hope that feedback helps

memebike

« Reply #995 on: April 16, 2022, 11:31:25 PM »
Also, how are you finding the bike after having it so long?

braincore

« Reply #996 on: April 17, 2022, 12:54:26 AM »
Absolutely love it! But, I'm not a harsh critic. I'm primarily a runner and had never paid for a bike before until my hand-me-down bike was stolen. Only 750mi since getting it and almost all from chill weekend endurance rides with cyclist friends.

I remember having a vague worry that the bike wouldn't be able to conceal its poor provenance. But, it rides so smoothly (tubeless helps) without ticks, maintenance issues, or aesthetic warts. And I've gotten loads of complements and inquiries about the make ("cheap chinese carbon!" is my go-to :) ).

braincore

« Reply #997 on: April 17, 2022, 01:08:17 AM »
-Running 28 tubeless on the vb 25wides and they seem fine

Thanks for the info! I had an issue where my LBS and I inflated the VB wheelset (configured for tubeless) without rim tape and the side delaminated (exploded carbon shards everywhere) at ~50psi. Just wondering, did you experience any issue like that? It's why I switched to ICAN.

memebike

« Reply #998 on: April 17, 2022, 02:37:37 AM »
Thanks for the info! I had an issue where my LBS and I inflated the VB wheelset (configured for tubeless) without rim tape and the side delaminated (exploded carbon shards everywhere) at ~50psi. Just wondering, did you experience any issue like that? It's why I switched to ICAN.

nope no issues, but I had it taped up

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #999 on: April 20, 2022, 08:44:48 PM »
Update on my situation:
I opened a PayPal dispute after Chris wasn't much help resolving my problems, and they have requested that I send the frame back to China, at my expense. I looked up how much it would cost, and the cheapest option with tracking from Canada to China is over 500 CAD! More than half the original cost...

Does anyone know if there are any third party sources for the seatpost hardware? Chris denies that there is anything wrong with the one I received but I have no doubts they sent the wrong parts. If I can fix the seatpost, I can at least use it as an indoor trainer bike.

And they still haven't refunded me for the missing bottle cages (the least of my worries at this point).

kbike

« Reply #1000 on: April 20, 2022, 10:44:05 PM »
Here's the seat post clamp I've used on my vbr086 and vbr168. I'm pretty sure someone else on here found it.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0j1Eoe

braincore

« Reply #1001 on: April 21, 2022, 12:22:27 AM »
And they still haven't refunded me for the missing bottle cages (the least of my worries at this point).

I didn't get a refund on my missing bottle cages until I ordered a second frame a year later and asked for a credit. Good luck :)

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #1002 on: April 21, 2022, 05:55:43 PM »
Chris responded and said that if I agree to cancel the dispute he will send me the correct part and refund for the missing bottle cages, hopefully he follows through. Good thing I have another bike to ride in the mean time... I will probably end up making this a dedicated winter trainer bike anyways.

GilardiRT

« Reply #1003 on: April 24, 2022, 10:28:43 AM »

just finished mine, not 100% happy about it to be honest.
The integrated bar in scaring me, it flexes a lot. plus the holes for the spacer's pin are misalligned.
the bb30 holes look a little loose.

idk if that happen to the other as well, but when i get up and push on the pedal you can feel some flex cause at every push you can hear the front disc touching the brake caliper

GilardiRT

« Reply #1004 on: April 24, 2022, 10:32:29 AM »
forgot to mention a couple of things:

i had to swap the upper headset bearing with the specialized one, the one that come with the frame was too low.

the handlebar cant hold still on the fork, even screwing the bolts over 5nm it keeps turning on the fork, there was so much room that i could place a layer of tape between the two parts to solve the problem