Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 200712 times)

Djengiskhanye

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #1530 on: March 06, 2023, 02:05:03 AM »
Did you really put S-Works decals on your frame?

What's it to you? Let the man do what he wants. I find it good jest to be honest.

Eddy_Twerckx

« Reply #1531 on: March 07, 2023, 02:57:52 PM »
Hey guys, new to the forum. Wanted to show my upcoming 168 build. I’ll link the weightweenies thread at the bottom as well for a more in-depth build process. My painted size 58 came in at 1,155g with 380g for the cut fork. Not bad with the white paint. The fork is well under a lot of what I’ve seen here and I’m wondering if it’s a different fork, or one from the 177. So a question for the group: did your fork have an integrated crown race or did you need one? I needed one (you can see from the picture below) and they supplied it thankfully, but from pictures on here it seems most other have an integrated crown race and I’m thinking I got a different fork. Other quick thoughts on the cockpit. Has anybody tried the Allez top cap with the SL7 stem. Seems like it would work pretty well. And for the hanger, I have a Cube on order that is supposed to be the direct mount hanger compatible with this frame. Plus, it has the benefit of having the threads on the outer piece, adding a safety mechanism should the small screw fall out.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=172167
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 07:21:48 PM by Eddy_Twerckx »

theo__

« Reply #1532 on: March 07, 2023, 04:08:21 PM »
Hey guys, new to the forum. Wanted to show my upcoming 168 build. I’ll link the weightweenies thread at the bottom as well for a more in-depth build process. My painted size 58 came in at 1,155g with 380g for the cut fork. Not bad with the white paint. The fork is well under a lot of what I’ve seen here and I’m wondering if it’s a different fork, or one from the 177. So a question for the group: did your fork have an integrated crown race or did you need one? I needed one (you can see from the picture below) and they supplied it thankfully, but from pictures on here it seems most other have an integrated crown race and I’m thinking I got a different fork. Other quick thoughts on the cockpit. Has anybody tried the Allez top cap with the SL7 stem. Seems like it would work pretty well. And for the hanger, I have a Cube on order that is supposed to be the direct mount hanger compatible with this frame. Plus, it has the benefit of having the threads on the outer piece, adding a safety mechanism should the small screw fall out.

I've received a frame a week ago, I need also crown race, for the fork.It's included too. So now they are sending this type of fork.

hazzer19

« Reply #1533 on: March 08, 2023, 05:30:59 PM »

Nice! Looking forward to seeing the build and hearing how the direct hangers works out. Do you have a link for it? Nice work on the 3D covers.

carbonazza

« Reply #1534 on: March 09, 2023, 03:15:17 AM »
What's it to you? Let the man do what he wants. I find it good jest to be honest.

At least this will help him resell it for a much better price  ;D

Eddy_Twerckx

« Reply #1535 on: March 09, 2023, 04:51:18 AM »

Nice! Looking forward to seeing the build and hearing how the direct hangers works out. Do you have a link for it? Nice work on the 3D covers.

I just ordered this one, labeled H784. The first one I ordered was the 906 which is the wrong one. The 906 is too small and the outer piece is flat. The 784 has a bigger outer piece with a conical shape to where it meshes with the frame. Some pictures below.

Edit: Also, it will change the thru axle needed from a 1.5 thread pitch to a 1.0. May be a deal breaker with the smaller threads. I'd rather have 1.5 but it's fine. I'd rather have the direct mount and have an axle ready.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803598543431.html?spm=a2g0o.order_detail.order_detail_item.4.6504f19cFOTG0h&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

https://www.rearmechhanger.com/product/rear-gear-mech-derailleur-hanger-cc251/

Wrong outer piece (flat)

Stock outer piece (cone)

« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 07:22:21 PM by Eddy_Twerckx »

Djengiskhanye

« Reply #1536 on: March 09, 2023, 01:26:06 PM »
Just picked up my frame today. Gotta say, I’m pretty impressed with the quality, at a glance. Especially the paint job turned out better than expected! Once I get some white decals on, it’ll bridge the transition real nice, I believe

Zoc

« Reply #1537 on: March 10, 2023, 03:00:24 AM »
ist the transition from glossy to matte?

RDY

« Reply #1538 on: March 10, 2023, 06:43:56 AM »
I just ordered this one, labeled H784. The first one I ordered was the 906 which is the wrong one. The 906 is too small and the outer piece is flat. The 784 has a bigger outer piece with a conical shape to where it meshes with the frame. Some pictures below.

Edit: Also, it will change the thru axle needed from a 1.5 thread pitch to a 1.0. May be a deal breaker with the smaller threads. I'd rather have 1.5 but it's fine. I'd rather have the direct mount and have an axle ready.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803598543431.html?spm=a2g0o.order_detail.order_detail_item.4.6504f19cFOTG0h&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

https://www.rearmechhanger.com/product/rear-gear-mech-derailleur-hanger-cc251/

Wrong outer piece (flat)

Stock outer piece (cone)

Slightly unrelated, but does anyone recognize this hanger?  It's from a Chapter 2 Koko / Toa.  I ended up ordering a Koko to replace my 099 (which share the 168 hanger), and it looks very similar.  I suspect it's generic, rather than specific to Chapter2.  Want to replace it with a DM version.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 01:55:54 PM by RDY »

Djengiskhanye

« Reply #1539 on: March 10, 2023, 08:18:52 AM »
ist the transition from glossy to matte?

Yes! Its glossy blue chameleon, to matte black. It’s not a jaw dropping transition, but it’s definitely satisfactory for me  :)

Eddy_Twerckx

« Reply #1540 on: March 11, 2023, 07:21:15 PM »
*Warning, lots of pictures. If you guys want I can delete them all and link an imgur folder*

Had some "fun" today trying some things out in the name of science. I was curious whether you could use a Tarmac stem using the Allez conversion top cap. So I swung by my local shop and picked up a Tarmac/Allez compression ring for $25. Fired up the 3D printer and printed the top cap, which came out pretty nice.

This is where I started to run into problems. The top headset bearing included with the frame is ID 40mm, which is ever so slightly smaller than the Tarmac bearing, which is ID 40.5mm. You'd think that 0.5mm wouldn't make a difference, but it did. The main body of the compression ring woud snap into place, but the inner shim wouldn't fit because the compression ring was compressed.

As you can see, the slot was pinching, and the shim didn't have room to slot in. Almost just gave up, but I had a spare bearing, so I experimented...with the sander. Used a dremel and sanded the inner surface of the bearing to widen the ID. Got it to around 40.3mm before I ran out of sandpaper drums. But the good news was that it was just enough to get the compression ring and shim to fit. Woohoo!

On to the next problem. The Tarmac compression ring sits lower in the bearing, and I was running into the same issue as a lot of people here. The top cap was hitting the frame and couldn't preload the bearing.

Ended up not being a huge issue. I considered buying a thicker bearing (8mm probably would have worked), but I just made a quick change to the top cap design and reprinted. 5 hours later I had a new top cap the worked.

Routed the cables.

And mounted the stem.

And....new problems. As you can probably see, the spacers cause a tight bend in the white shift cable, enough so that I couldn't pass the cable. And after taking it off, you can see it kinked.

New plan. The Tarmac can use mechanical shifting, so I knew there was a way. In the end, I just drilled a hole for the shift cable.

Didn't look too bad, and a little better with the bat.

But the bat caused another kink in the shift cable so I left it off. A little piece of shrink wrap kept things tidy.

So, what did I learn? The Tarmac stem is possible and looks pretty good in my opinion. The Allez top cap will not work without either getting a thicker bearing or changing the design (I can post the STL of both if people want). The compression ring and bearing will have to be modified a little to get a bigger ID. Mechanical shifting will work but won't look as good as electronic.

patliean1

« Reply #1541 on: March 11, 2023, 07:36:37 PM »
I run the identical setup on my Allez Sprint. 3D printed top cap cover paired an SL7 stem.

Most frames use a standard headset bearing circumference so the SL7 headset c-ring/clip and 3D printed cover should work flawlessly.

siejak

« Reply #1542 on: March 12, 2023, 10:44:41 AM »
Fsa acr headset + fsa smr stem combo

elmtree

« Reply #1543 on: March 14, 2023, 09:57:23 PM »
Has anyone figured out a way to get a lower offset seatpost or zero offset seatpost? That's the last thing stopping me from getting this bike.

L

theo__

« Reply #1544 on: March 17, 2023, 04:12:42 AM »
Has anyone figured out a way to get a lower offset seatpost or zero offset seatpost? That's the last thing stopping me from getting this bike.

Some months ago, someone write here, that Velobuild was planning to develop one, but I think they.forgot de proyect.

It could be good idea to talk with the Chris's.... If they can ensure 20 or 30 seatpost on preorder, perhaps they try.