Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 127122 times)

Confused

Re: The shiney new AM831 Group Buy thread!
« Reply #180 on: May 30, 2021, 04:14:39 PM »
Same thing happened when I asked about a specific color.  Just their stock ones in glossy or matte or the chameleon color.

Mikey12345

« Reply #181 on: May 30, 2021, 09:22:51 PM »
does anyone know if it is okay to leave the finish as raw carbon or do I need to put at least a clear coat over it for UV protection?

Snacks

« Reply #182 on: May 30, 2021, 11:15:40 PM »
does anyone know if it is okay to leave the finish as raw carbon or do I need to put at least a clear coat over it for UV protection?

You will want to some type of clear coat over the carbon to protect the resin from degrading

carbonazza

« Reply #183 on: May 31, 2021, 01:52:15 AM »
Same thing happened when I asked about a specific color.  Just their stock ones in glossy or matte or the chameleon color.

Alas... few years ago they were coming with their limited colors, but were ok to paint it in any color.
Other builders still do.

Mikey12345

« Reply #184 on: May 31, 2021, 12:26:17 PM »
You will want to some type of clear coat over the carbon to protect the resin from degrading

Thanks! I asked Eddy about clear coat and he said they couldn't do it, so I just updated my order to arrive with matte black paint for the added protection. I decided I didn't feel like going through the hassle of painting it myself.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 02:00:19 PM by Mikey12345 »

helldan211

« Reply #185 on: June 01, 2021, 07:34:32 AM »
I'm planning my build right now and could use some ideas.  What are you guys planning to use?  I was thinking 150mm Pike Ultimate but don't know what rear shock to run.

Dan

Mikey12345

« Reply #186 on: June 02, 2021, 03:15:29 AM »
I have a fox 36 fork at 150 mm and a fox dpx 2 (also 150 mm with the given spec). I am about to order a shimano xt 1x12 groupset for the drivetrain but literally the only thing holding back (as a first time bike builder) is whether or not to order a bottom bracket, and if not, if this groupset will be compatible with the provided bb. If anyone knows, please lmk!

Jotegr

« Reply #187 on: June 02, 2021, 11:30:08 AM »
I'm planning on using a 140mm Pike. With the added headset spacer or whatever underneath to solve small frame problems I'm not sure if I'll bump it to 150mm.

For rear shock I'll use a cheap takeoff 210x55 Float DPS and then decide later if it'll go up to a super deluxe.

scourge

« Reply #188 on: June 02, 2021, 02:13:41 PM »
Have we figured out if 150mm or 160mm fork is ideal? I know Haideli website says 150mm, but I seem to remember talk of 160mm being the better option. Itt's been so long, I can't even remember things we've already discussed about the bike.

I plan on getting a Suntour Durolux for the fork. I have a new Manitou McLeod ready to go on the back. I'm gonna try Microshift Advent X for the drivetrain. Still thinking about what wheelset to get.

elgaucher

« Reply #189 on: June 02, 2021, 02:46:27 PM »
Have we figured out if 150mm or 160mm fork is ideal? I know Haideli website says 150mm, but I seem to remember talk of 160mm being the better option. Itt's been so long, I can't even remember things we've already discussed about the bike.

I plan on getting a Suntour Durolux for the fork. I have a new Manitou McLeod ready to go on the back. I'm gonna try Microshift Advent X for the drivetrain. Still thinking about what wheelset to get.

sound similar to mine lol. I'm putting my Manitou Mezzer pro on it , will play around with 150 or 160 since I can change it internally.

Will get a mara pro if it fits or a mcload (I wanna run same branc front and rear for once in my life lol)

I have box three prime9 right now but I think I'll go back to shimano 11speed , clutch is gone on my derailler and just to pricey to switch to box two or one right now

scourge

« Reply #190 on: June 02, 2021, 03:42:40 PM »
I would go with a Mezzer, but the Durolux is much less expensive. I'd love to try a Mezzer, though. I was gonna do Mara, but someone on mtbr pointed out there were new McLeods on eBay going pretty cheap. When I looked the size was what is needed for this frame so I snagged one. Hope it is good.

elgaucher

« Reply #191 on: June 02, 2021, 06:21:47 PM »
I would go with a Mezzer, but the Durolux is much less expensive. I'd love to try a Mezzer, though. I was gonna do Mara, but someone on mtbr pointed out there were new McLeods on eBay going pretty cheap. When I looked the size was what is needed for this frame so I snagged one. Hope it is good.

Nice find on the mcload ! Might snag one also the .

Can’t go wrong with the durolux imo. Had an aion before and was surprisingly good. On the mezzer, it’s really amazing but I don’t use half of the settings on it lol. Got it use for 800$ cad so can’t complain

Edit: wen with you hint on ebay for manitou shocks, sent 3 kinda low baller offer on a mara and 2 mara pro. We’ll see if one bites
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 07:29:52 PM by elgaucher »

helldan211

« Reply #192 on: June 03, 2021, 01:45:42 PM »
Nice find on the mcload ! Might snag one also the .

Can’t go wrong with the durolux imo. Had an aion before and was surprisingly good. On the mezzer, it’s really amazing but I don’t use half of the settings on it lol. Got it use for 800$ cad so can’t complain

Edit: wen with you hint on ebay for manitou shocks, sent 3 kinda low baller offer on a mara and 2 mara pro. We’ll see if one bites

Good luck with the bid!  I would like a mezzer too, but no one has them!

stefanyo

« Reply #193 on: June 04, 2021, 07:47:19 AM »
Anyone got their AM831 frame already?

Excited to see post on your build updates!  ;D

fieroracer

« Reply #194 on: June 04, 2021, 11:33:26 AM »
Hey all, just wanted to share that I bought in late (May 19th) with Eddy via PayPal. Looking forward to building my second custom build!

My first custom build was with an Airfox HT Highball clone off of Ebay (I outfitted it with a Fox 34 Factory off of marketplace, and a Sram NX groupset from my old bike)

I'm looking to put a Sram GX AXS groupset on this one, but those components and the custom wheelset I'm pricing out are sure adding up  :o

Thanks for all of the discussion and help posted here, I'll share my build as I go!