Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 128130 times)

Thrill21

Re: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!
« Reply #390 on: August 22, 2021, 09:11:43 AM »
Guys,

Sorry if this has been asked multiple times already.  Is there a nice full parts list that someone has done for their build for this AM831 bike?

I'm kinda new to this whole "build from scratch" thingy...TIA!

Sick, I'm in Ontario sas well. Cheers!

elgaucher

« Reply #391 on: August 22, 2021, 03:53:58 PM »
wow, thanks for that elgaucher...

things can ramp up quickly when you start to get good stuff on it.  damm...

makes me wonder if I should just get a INTENSE 951 from Costco and be done with it.  Lifetime warranty too. ugh.

To be faire there’s a lot of takeoff from my other bike to get to that price.

Going from nothing, I’d probably shed 1k just by going with deore brakes, cheaper wheels and suspension

jham

« Reply #392 on: August 23, 2021, 09:44:02 PM »
so my question is the 0.5 degree spacer that i already purchased doesnt sit all the way down on fork... do i need a press or something? I may have to try and put the spacer in the oven and the fork into an ice bath and try and do an interference fit up. My headset tool and lots of grease has left me with a 1mm gap which is making it even more slack...

« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 10:25:19 PM by jham »

xtinction

« Reply #393 on: August 24, 2021, 01:11:19 AM »
Hi guys kinda new here
For those who have gotten the bike is the rear tyre clearance really only 2.35 ?

Eddy-haideli

« Reply #394 on: August 24, 2021, 02:33:46 AM »
The max clearnce for the tyre is 2.4"

der.radler

« Reply #395 on: August 24, 2021, 03:43:10 AM »
Hi Eddy and all enthusiasts again,

did anyone measure by chance which max shock length could be mounted to increase the travel a bit without hitting the frame? My intention is, as said, to go mullet and use a shock of 213x63, which will give around 170mm rear travel. If required with one or two 2mm offset bushings in case the shock would be too long.
A 27.5x2.4" rear wheel should clear the seat post if it was good for 29x2.4" (acc. Eddy's post) @ 150mm rear travel.

I’d highly appreciate if someone could take the time and measurements.

Thanks again and regards from Germany

graved1gger

« Reply #396 on: August 24, 2021, 04:51:39 AM »
My intention is, as said, to go mullet and use a shock of 213x63, which will give around 170mm rear travel. If required with one or two 2mm offset bushings in case the shock would be too long.
A 27.5x2.4" rear wheel should clear the seat post if it was good for 29x2.4" (acc. Eddy's post) @ 150mm rear travel.

Have the same idea, since I already have carbon mullet wheelset. From the bottom end of things should be okay if I calculated it right. Around 170 travel and the difference between 27.5 and 29 is 19mm of radius, so should be okay. And then 210-55 = 155, 216-63 = 153 when fully compressed, 2mm is around 5.5mm of travel on average, so should not be an issue.

I'm a bit worried about the other side of things and would be there enough clearance between front and rear triangles near the bottom bracket with 216 shock.

Nevertheless, I'll probably wait a couple of month and wait for reviews since I spent the budget on fixing my eyesight ;D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 04:53:20 AM by graved1gger »

der.radler

« Reply #397 on: August 24, 2021, 08:02:46 AM »
I just ordered mine. In a few weeks we know better. 8)
On my modification of the DengFu E10 eMTB with a 4-bar w/ shock linkage design there were 2 critical points.
  • Bridge of seat stay (if there is one limiting) touching the seat post from behind if compression too long. As 210-55 < 213-63 by 5mm it could be an issue. With 2x2mm offset bushings we are coming very close to the original compressed eye-to-eye distance.
    Tire clearance to seat tube is no factor in Mullet setup.
  • Increased length of shock too big to fit into the eye-to-eye distance w/o the yoke touching the seat post from front side.
    Corrective action: offset bushing of 1x 2mm and taking 1mm off the yoke (now 1,5mm yoke-to-seat post clearance)
    On AM831 frame shock length fully compressed no issue as longer as standard 210x55. Fully extended maybe (if someone with the frame could take the number, please), then 1 or 2 offset bushings could do the job.
The following numbers are from Linkage X3 based on the SC Hightower which has identical spec data w/o an error message that it would exceed the frame limits. But please do not rely on me making fancy adjustments.

With an 3mm longer shock length it's ~0.4-0.5° steeper HA, but no change in SA on New AM831.
584mm folk (~170mm for a Mezzer PRO) ~1.3° slacker HA.
Mullet with 2.5" wheels ~ 0.9-1.0° slacker HA and a BB drop ~6.7mm higher
As a result: 213x63 shock, plus 170mm folk plus Mullet setup will end around 64° HA which is a modern Enduro HA and of cause also slackening the SA by 2° in total which is not so sweet.

Rumours say that SC has only one basic frame design and they produce a Hightower, Megatower, Nomad, Bronson out if it. How about the new Bromadtower then  ;D

alexartzwy

« Reply #398 on: August 24, 2021, 08:47:06 AM »
Does anyone have a completed build yet?  The pictures of the 1 frame look fine, want to see if there are any unforeseen inconsistencies before I order one!

darius72

« Reply #399 on: August 25, 2021, 11:30:00 AM »
Anybody else has received the frame or at least the shipping notice?Anybody in Europe?

Eddy-haideli

« Reply #400 on: August 25, 2021, 10:06:24 PM »
Full bicycle picture attached,.

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #401 on: August 26, 2021, 02:04:34 AM »
so my question is the 0.5 degree spacer that i already purchased doesnt sit all the way down on fork... do i need a press or something? I may have to try and put the spacer in the oven and the fork into an ice bath and try and do an interference fit up. My headset tool and lots of grease has left me with a 1mm gap which is making it even more slack...

Did you get this figured out? Have a picture to clarify?

I think you're saying you have an aftermarket headset crown race which is slotted (not a solid circumference) and you didn't get it to go all the way down on the fork steerer tube?

The slotted races have become popular because this let's you remove it later fairly easily. It's been a while since I worked in a bike shop or installed a fork and some things have changed but I don't think the headset race is one. We used to have a weighted tool with a hole in the center and you just smacked the race a few times and the momentum knocked it down into place. With a slotted race I can't imagine it takes too much force but might be intimidating pounding on your new fork. I would also probably want a piece of plastic, leather, wood, etc between the race and your "slide hammer" so you don't deform the race any.

Hopefully you already got it figured out but thought I would say something in case not...

StefanB

« Reply #402 on: August 26, 2021, 07:26:38 AM »
Found a superdeal on a rear shock. Is this a good working choice?

RockShox Deluxe RL DebonAir

https://www.bike-components.de/en/RockShox/Deluxe-RL-DebonAir-Shock-OEM-Packaging-p83247/

Snacks

« Reply #403 on: August 26, 2021, 08:41:22 AM »
Found a superdeal on a rear shock. Is this a good working choice?

RockShox Deluxe RL DebonAir

https://www.bike-components.de/en/RockShox/Deluxe-RL-DebonAir-Shock-OEM-Packaging-p83247/

Wow that is a good deal! And yes the 210x 55mm will work just fine.

Confused

« Reply #404 on: August 26, 2021, 05:57:02 PM »
Small update on shipping dates/times - Eddy told me it is about a week from frame going into painting until it ships.

Also size M didn't have the issue with fork hitting the frame so the larger sizes should be ok.