Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 128228 times)

cybrsrce

Re: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!
« Reply #450 on: August 31, 2021, 11:49:45 AM »
Thank you for the idea! Oneup claims that their 35 mm bar has an oval shape making it confortable like an old 31 mm. Probably it worths the investment; a failure in the handlebar could be an hospital trip.
There are three "levels" of handlebars:
- generic chinese aliexpress, the cheapest but no warranty at all
- chinese reputable brands (og-evkin,ican, lightcarbon); middle price and mostly good reviews
- brand names: most expensive, still made in china but probably with a different quality control that makes a world of difference.
Said that if you search over the web you will find photos of failures of any kind of handlebars (even alluminium ones). For sure they suffer fatigue, after many small hits they get weaker; carbon ones maybe even aging from UV etc.

Probably better to go with 30-35 mm rise and limit the stem spacers, this is my idea what do you think?

That will be exactly how I do it for nothing more than because my steerer is already cut for the same length head tube :)  I agree though, but the disclaimer is to leave your steerer a little longer so you can play with it if you don't like it.
I replaced a 20mm rise AL bar with the Oneup 35mm rise and it feels pretty good.  I prefer a more aggressive position when the saddle is up but it hasn't seemed to cause a negative effect.  This frame will have better geometry so I expect it to get better, some of the Hightowers come with 30 or 35mm rise bars so how bad can it be?

Agree on all counts about bar reliability. I have had aluminum handlebars fail due to my own negligence, get torque wrenches people, and I have been very particular about it ever since.  If I see EWS riders using it I feel comfortable with it.  On the other side, I will buy the well known Chinese brand components for road and gravel since I don't full gorilla those bikes as often.

Snacks

« Reply #451 on: August 31, 2021, 01:54:15 PM »
About 40 GBP for the set plus they say you need their special tool, ouch!! Did you order 8x22 ?
The 8x30 is available on aliexpress for approx 5 USD, not the 8x22 or 8x22.8, still we don't know for sure which one we need of the two.
I also got notification of frame (size M) shipped.
Urrah!!!

Can you post a link to this $5 8x30 hardware on aliexpress?

scourge

« Reply #452 on: August 31, 2021, 06:26:18 PM »
I bought an Iveke cheap Chinese carbon bar. I will let you guys know if it snaps on me.

jham

« Reply #453 on: August 31, 2021, 11:42:12 PM »
you guys are hilarious.  I have run a carbon bar for 4 years from ali and i weigh 255 lbs and havent had a single problem.  Their products are way better than the majority of you let on.. your brand name crap probably comes from the same factory.

xtinction

« Reply #454 on: August 31, 2021, 11:55:21 PM »

Im going to use a 24x8 hardware which can be found on ali and 3x8 aluminium spacers also from ali to make up the difference.

darius72

« Reply #455 on: September 01, 2021, 02:11:28 AM »

Damn it I can`t find it any more, even if I am sure I saw it; maybe it was from this seller, now the 30 mm option is grayed out.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000034051514.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.98d527e9gu5SDf&algo_pvid=58103966-f0a3-4eb6-84df-37f444b366fd&algo_exp_id=58103966-f0a3-4eb6-84df-37f444b366fd-0

darius72

« Reply #456 on: September 01, 2021, 02:16:16 AM »
you guys are hilarious.  I have run a carbon bar for 4 years from ali and i weigh 255 lbs and havent had a single problem.  Their products are way better than the majority of you let on.. your brand name crap probably comes from the same factory.

The problem of the no brand is the quality control; maybe 9 out of 10 are good, but if you get the unlucky one  :o .
No brand has no reputation to defend.
Handlebar failure could be a serious accident, there is an example on this forum even with an attached video:
http://chinertown.com/index.php?topic=763.0

cybrsrce

« Reply #457 on: September 01, 2021, 06:15:29 AM »

Even from a sample of 1 that is good data, is it a truly off brand or one of the larger manufacturers?
My direct Chinese frame failure rate is pretty high at 20% but they haven't been catastrophic failures.  For 1/4 to 1/3 the price of the name brands I keep coming back for frames but go with big brand components with my "savings."
I like that the big brands publish their failure rates and the Oneup carbon bar is only $129.  Previous to that I was running your average $40-50 alloy bar but I wanted to try something new.  That is peace of mind for me but I recognize that extra $100 over an Ali bar could go to other components for some.

BSAM

« Reply #458 on: September 02, 2021, 10:49:52 AM »
Gentlemen,

Can anyone please confirm that the AM831 has the boost or Non-boost Crank configuration?  I do appreciated for your response in advance.

Bsam.

BSAM

« Reply #459 on: September 02, 2021, 11:10:22 AM »
Attaching a picture of my finished build. This frame size is "S".
Only the bottom cage is missing and I haven ridden it yet, apart up and down the street to tune suspension and saddle height.

Some interesting parts of my build:
  • assembling the lower pin of the rear shock was challenging, as I could not find any position of the rear triangle that gave me enough clearance to remove the bolt. I ended up unscrewing the top hinge form the frame (removing the 2 bolts just under the saddle). Not sure if that was the best choice because repositioning the hinge wasn't easy, but it worked
  • my mounting hardware for the shock was M8x30 and M8x22.199. The x30 (top) fit perfectly, the x22.199 was loose: i measured 22.86mm for the opening. Rather than ordering a new one, I 3d printed 2 spacers, which seem to work well
  • My shock is a Fox dpx2. It fits pretty well, but the access to the air valve is tight, I can barely connect my pump to the valve.
  • I used a Fox36 fork, that barely clears the frame, after using the 0.5 degree angle spacer from Reverse, which is about 10mm tall. BTW, jham asked about installing the angle spacer: it is an "interference fit", just like a standard crown race. I used a piece of PVC pipe with id of about 1.5" to push it down, with the help of a rubber mallet

As for my component list, most of them are reused form other builds or both 2nd hand:
  • fork: Fox36 w/ GRIP2 damper. The damper adjustments barely clear the frame even after adding the angle spacer
  • rear shock: Fox dpx2, see my comments above for the mounting hardware
  • drivetrain: SRAM Eagle GX, with SRAM DUB 89/92 pressfit bottom bracket
  • wheelset: Lightcarbon 350MB-AD938-Race, shared with my other frame
  • breakset: Shimano M8200, which I got new at a good price form a seller on Pinkbike. The rotors are generic from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082NVF3TD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
  • dropper post: and old Tranzx 31.6x140. I pushed it all the way down the downtube.. and it still might be too high, I need to double check it, but I have not measured the insertion depth
  • saddle: a SDG Radar.. I have no idea of how good or comfortable it is, I got it at a discount because my other SGB Bel Air failed, but I have to say that I like a lot my WTB Volt on the other bike
  • stem and Carbon Handlebar: inexpensive from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0916YJ81R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JPF4T71/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
  • headset and Sitclamp: I used the one that came with the frame. The frame also came with 4 cable hole plugs, for the larger holes by the bottom of the downtube. They are rubber, not easy to install. Not sure if they will hold
  • missing: chainstay (and maybe downtube) protection. I have something that might work, but I haven't tried to install it yet.

I hope this is helpful to others..

Did you used this "RAM DUB PressFit Bottom Bracket - BB89.5/BB92, 89/92mm" in your build?  Trying to figure out which BB I should buy for my SRAM GX Crank.  I'm appreciated for your response in advance.

jabbajaw99

« Reply #460 on: September 02, 2021, 12:25:35 PM »
Some interesting parts of my build:
  • assembling the lower pin of the rear shock was challenging, as I could not find any position of the rear triangle that gave me enough clearance to remove the bolt. I ended up unscrewing the top hinge form the frame (removing the 2 bolts just under the saddle). Not sure if that was the best choice because repositioning the hinge wasn't easy, but it worked
It appears that Haideli recommends the lower link bolt removal. You got it done, so kudos to you! :)
[/list]

cybrsrce

« Reply #461 on: September 02, 2021, 12:36:21 PM »
Did you used this "RAM DUB PressFit Bottom Bracket - BB89.5/BB92, 89/92mm" in your build?  Trying to figure out which BB I should buy for my SRAM GX Crank.  I'm appreciated for your response in advance.

For a DUB boost crankset then that is the one.  Completely different BB if it is a GXP crankset. 

If you can't find a BB92 DUB BB available there are a few more expensive options from Wheels Mfg and RWC (Enduro Fork Seals) and then some insanely priced options from Binfinite and Kogel. 

scourge

« Reply #462 on: September 02, 2021, 07:20:41 PM »
So 8x30 for the top of the shock, have we determined what size the bottom mounting hardware should be?

Confused

« Reply #463 on: September 02, 2021, 07:52:17 PM »
So 8x30 for the top of the shock, have we determined what size the bottom mounting hardware should be?

Short answer - 22.2 and have some shims.  We don't have multiple samples of the linkage reporting dimensions...yet.  Also, one person will test the Santa Cruz linkage - if it works the 30mm front and rear roller bearings become options.

If going the 22.2 option BK5864 is a part that has a needle bearing.  Bikeinn had some in stock at the time of this posting.

riding_truckee

« Reply #464 on: September 02, 2021, 08:01:09 PM »
Short answer - 22.2 and have some shims.  We don't have multiple samples of the linkage reporting dimensions...yet.  Also, one person will test the Santa Cruz linkage - if it works the 30mm front and rear roller bearings become options.

If going the 22.2 option BK5864 is a part that has a needle bearing.  Bikeinn had some in stock at the time of this posting.

My measurement was 22.86, which you can find, for example here https://www.amazon.com/Shock-Mount-Hardware-Washer-M8x22-86mm/dp/B08HR4YLMY
I used 22.2 + shims, because that's what I had.