Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 128195 times)

YEEPYEEP

Re: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!
« Reply #480 on: September 06, 2021, 07:17:37 PM »

I have most parts except for a few still trickling in and was told about a week ago it was heading to paint so hopefully will ship soon. I can try to document the build with pictures if anyone is interested? We are the first ones building it up and can hopefully help each other out if anyone has problems.

Would be good if you and anyone else who bought the frame document the build process to see if there's any flaws etc. Also would this frame fit a coil?

JJJ

« Reply #481 on: September 06, 2021, 11:50:32 PM »
Also would this frame fit a coil?

I believe this was answered. The Santa Cruz does not fit a coil shock, so this frame most likely does not either. Check https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/bikes/hightower#technical-support

xtinction

« Reply #482 on: September 07, 2021, 03:09:59 AM »
Would be good if you and anyone else who bought the frame document the build process to see if there's any flaws etc. Also would this frame fit a coil?

The current hightower v2 can barely run a coil with its flip chip on the low setting. This frame doesn't have a flip chip and so it mimics the hightower in its high setting . So i highly doubt u can run a coil in the frame

Eddy-haideli

« Reply #483 on: September 07, 2021, 03:48:35 AM »
Attached more pictures for the Groupbuy A of the Frame FS-AM831.

Thanks for all the supporting.
Anyone missed the groupbuy A, please go to the Groupbuy B contact Eddy.

YEEPYEEP

« Reply #484 on: September 07, 2021, 06:09:46 AM »
The current hightower v2 can barely run a coil with its flip chip on the low setting. This frame doesn't have a flip chip and so it mimics the hightower in its high setting . So i highly doubt u can run a coil in the frame

I believe this was answered. The Santa Cruz does not fit a coil shock, so this frame most likely does not either. Check https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/bikes/hightower#technical-support

Thanks guys, Will wait for afew more reviews on the frame before ordering.

der.radler

« Reply #485 on: September 07, 2021, 10:18:50 AM »
Dear frame owners,
My frame will be shipped this week. Can't wait to start building it.
Just a few questions.
1. What are the dimensions of the shock mounts? I know, asked a couple of times but the original SC Hightower has 30mm at the linkage side and 20mm at the frame side. Here w/ AM831 it seems the other way around. 30mm at the frame and 22.86mm at linkage. This would be standard FOX dimensions.
2. Did someone successfully install a linkage mod? If so, was it the standard or mullet link from cascade? Here the  eyelet spacing is 8mm x 30mm, which is the original SC size. This upgrad is just too expensive to wild guess.

Thanks

BSAM

« Reply #486 on: September 07, 2021, 11:23:11 AM »
Gentlemen,

I'm looking at the Chain guard/ protector and the downtube protector from SC High Tower.  Just wondering anyone who already built the bike to confirm, those protector would fit/ usable.

I'm appreciated for your input in advance.

Happy riding,

Bsam.

BSAM

« Reply #487 on: September 07, 2021, 11:52:32 AM »
After being out of town, waiting for parts, and finding the time. I was finally able to finish the build up today. Hopefully I can get it in some dirt soon.

It looks really nice Geekbox32.  Congrat.

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #488 on: September 07, 2021, 03:31:16 PM »
The frame is a close approximation of the original with the same dimensions, but isn't an exact copy. I don't think I would expect anything off the original to bolt right on to this one. It might fit, or fit with some modifications but it would be a complete gamble and might not even be close, IMO.

elgaucher

« Reply #489 on: September 07, 2021, 04:59:42 PM »
Receiving my small frame on Thursday I’ll take more measurements if you guys need.

I’m not building it soon but actually disassembling it for custom paint by a friend that those airbrush so I can measure all the bolts and linkage

Cheers

Confused

« Reply #490 on: September 07, 2021, 05:19:04 PM »
Elgaucher - any specs on bearings you can get will be appreciated.

jabbajaw99

« Reply #491 on: September 07, 2021, 09:17:21 PM »
Can anyone confirm the rear shock mounting hardware? 8x30 and 8x22.?
Measured 22.8 and 30.3mm. The front mount will be less precise as it is a painted surface.
Thinking of using 21.85mm needle bearing and 0.5mm spacers x2.
https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/shock-eyelet-bearing-kits/6mm-8mm-thru-bolts/NEEDLE-BEARING-21.85.html
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 11:02:45 AM by jabbajaw99 »

JJJ

« Reply #492 on: September 08, 2021, 05:17:09 AM »
Thinking of using 21.85mm needle bearing and 0.5mm spacers x2.
https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/shock-eyelet-bearing-kits/6mm-8mm-thru-bolts/NEEDLE-BEARING-21.85.html

Have you tried such bearings already? I've read pretty bad reviews saying that they started rattling after a while.

cybrsrce

« Reply #493 on: September 08, 2021, 06:32:51 AM »
Have you tried such bearings already? I've read pretty bad reviews saying that they started rattling after a while.

You really have to make sure you use the right axle.  They come with three different sizes and if you go with one that is too loose it will start to wear fast.  Grease them up when you service the shock and check if the larger axle(s) fit, it isn't that bad but you can make a mess if you use a standard bushing removal tool. Roller bearings are a more robust solution but I haven't found any smaller than 30mm.

If you're not one to tear the bike down and grease pivots and bearings every year then it might be safer to stick to bushings.

darius72

« Reply #494 on: September 08, 2021, 08:25:21 AM »
Concerning rear shock bearings I vote against: the relative movements between parts is of a few degrees and very slow: there is absolutely no need for bearings, bushing is the best solution IMHO.
Bearings will be more expensive and prone to failures due to corrosion, mud etc etc.
Consider that the shock has a damper, that it's made to dissipate energy through movement in a viscous fluid (oil); some more friction in the bushing is absolutely insignificant.