Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 128423 times)

xtinction

Re: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!
« Reply #495 on: September 08, 2021, 12:26:37 PM »
Concerning rear shock bearings I vote against: the relative movements between parts is of a few degrees and very slow: there is absolutely no need for bearings, bushing is the best solution IMHO.
Bearings will be more expensive and prone to failures due to corrosion, mud etc etc.
Consider that the shock has a damper, that it's made to dissipate energy through movement in a viscous fluid (oil); some more friction in the bushing is absolutely insignificant.

I would like to disagree. When i changed my ican p9 top bushing to a roller bearing the suspension was so much more active. The force needed to start compression was significantly less. In the end it all depends on the suspension platform and how much rotation does the bushing experience

JJJ

« Reply #496 on: September 08, 2021, 12:52:14 PM »
The top bushing on the 831 is really not going to rotate much. It might be more worth installing needle bearings in the bottom bushing...

cybrsrce

« Reply #497 on: September 08, 2021, 01:13:16 PM »
The top bushing on the 831 is really not going to rotate much. It might be more worth installing needle bearings in the bottom bushing...

Exactly, one point of contact is going to have a lot more movement than the other and that is where a bearing helps if you have binding or sticky issues.  One of the big reasons that the hightower gets all that "plush suspension" praise is the roller bearing damper on the stock Super Deluxe which we can't use...

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #498 on: September 08, 2021, 04:44:29 PM »
I would like to disagree. When i changed my ican p9 top bushing to a roller bearing the suspension was so much more active. The force needed to start compression was significantly less. In the end it all depends on the suspension platform and how much rotation does the bushing experience

I agree. Hard to tell how much difference it makes in the middle and end of the travel and is probably the equivalent of a little less dampening, but for the small stuff it makes the shock much more active. On the last bike I installed it on I had to increase the shock pressure because it also allowed more sag.

For this frame it's the 22 mm mount that benefits from bearings. I already have the RWC 22.2 mm as well as the 0.5 mm washers ready to put in the shock. Just waiting for the frame to double check the width.

The last time I installed the RWC bearings they were still running smooth after 4 years. There was a small clunk if I lifted the rear end and took weight off the shock but it was never felt while riding. It wasn't in the bearings and according to RWC it was normal in some applications so I stopped worrying and trying to troubleshoot it. The only thing I could figure was that the mounting bolt was slightly smaller than the hole in the 'axle' that ran thru the needle bearings and it never seemed to have a negative effect other than feeling a slight clunk when lifting the bike.

JJJ

« Reply #499 on: September 09, 2021, 01:45:51 AM »
One of the big reasons that the hightower gets all that "plush suspension" praise is the roller bearing damper on the stock Super Deluxe which we can't use...
Why can't we use it?

JJJ

« Reply #500 on: September 09, 2021, 02:29:48 AM »
There was a small clunk if I lifted the rear end and took weight off the shock but it was never felt while riding. It wasn't in the bearings and according to RWC it was normal in some applications so I stopped worrying and trying to troubleshoot it.
Well, that was the kind of negative feedback I saw on this type of bearings... Not very reassuring - this means you have a clunk at each compression/extension, small enough at the beginning to not notice or hear while riding, but you end up with an oval bore!

Anyway, putting roller bearings in pivots that don't do full turns does not make sense - the forces are always spread over a same small portion of the bearing, which will wear out prematurely. That's why some manufacturers also use bushings in their frame pivots (like Rocky Mountain).

cybrsrce

« Reply #501 on: September 09, 2021, 05:15:17 AM »
Why can't we use it?

It is 30mm wide and the opening is 22.Xmm.

jonnybearback

« Reply #502 on: September 09, 2021, 10:25:05 AM »
Well, that was the kind of negative feedback I saw on this type of bearings... Not very reassuring

I dunno, after 4 years that seems pretty reasonable.

I have used needle bearings on all my kids bike builds on the higher rotating end. The RWC one needed more fettling work than any of the Enduro bearings versions. Fancy RWC anodized end caps aside (which I think are actually the problem) I would use the enduro version again. Its less pretty but better ime.

scourge

« Reply #503 on: September 09, 2021, 02:29:59 PM »
So is it ok to use Fox 22.86mm mounting hardware in the back? Or is it not the right fit? Too tight? Is it better to get 22mm and buy some spacers?

cybrsrce

« Reply #504 on: September 09, 2021, 02:42:32 PM »
So is it ok to use Fox 22.86mm mounting hardware in the back? Or is it not the right fit? Too tight? Is it better to get 22mm and buy some spacers?

As long as your shock has a 1/2" eyelet it should fit, how well it fits is a different story.  I also don't have the frame yet so I don't know if 22.86mm is too big so I opted for 22mm and spacers as some have measured 22.6mm.  That just seems like 22mm or 22.2mm with shit tolerances.

elgaucher

« Reply #505 on: September 09, 2021, 06:53:59 PM »
So my frame came in today and like I said I’ve disassembled it completely for paint prep.

Bearing are all unmarked but tomorrow I’ll have a digital caliper to take measurements.

More info to come

Snacks

« Reply #506 on: September 09, 2021, 09:12:24 PM »
I should have had my frame today too but USPS delivered it to the wrong address! it even required a signature but that wasnt even enough to prevent an incorrect delivery.  i really hope they can recover it but seeing as i havent heard back from them and its already 7pm here, i fear the worst.

scourge

« Reply #507 on: September 09, 2021, 09:28:17 PM »
Oh, that sucks. Hope you get it back.

Got my large frame today. Haven't got to open it yet, though. I'll pop it open when I get home in a bit.

Eddy-haideli

« Reply #508 on: September 09, 2021, 10:39:04 PM »
I should have had my frame today too but USPS delivered it to the wrong address! it even required a signature but that wasnt even enough to prevent an incorrect delivery.  i really hope they can recover it but seeing as i havent heard back from them and its already 7pm here, i fear the worst.

Eddy,

There are some really nice and honest people. A lady with two young babies just dropped off the box . It was delivered to her house by mistake and she went through the trouble to make sure it was delivered correctly  thank you for all your help and sorry for bothering  you! I have thr frame now.

Jon

The frame received, thanks.

BSAM

« Reply #509 on: September 09, 2021, 11:24:56 PM »
Gentlemen,

I recently purchased this rear shock in preparation for the build.  I made sure it is 210x55mm rear shock.  However, I wasn't pay attention to the way the eyelids are.  They are not facing the same direction.  Is that mean i'm out of luck with this rear shock?  Is there a way it can be converted from 90 degree facing to same direction facing? 

I'm appreciated for your advice in advance. 

Best regards,

Bsam.