Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 128320 times)

Snacks

Re: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!
« Reply #540 on: September 14, 2021, 06:43:39 PM »
Dude that stuff is so cool! How have I not seen this before! Sooo many uses

jabbajaw99

« Reply #541 on: September 15, 2021, 01:49:42 PM »
Anyone used the bottom bracket that came with the frame? I measured the bb shell at 92.3-92.5mm. The central sleeve of the bb is barely holding on at that distance. Doesn't seem secure.

scourge

« Reply #542 on: September 15, 2021, 05:34:52 PM »
I have a noob builder question. So I bought a Manitou McLeod tear shock for my frame. I got the wrong size on the lower shock mount, but for the upper I got a Rockshox 30mm mount. I was just messing around with it last night and tried to slide the mounting pin in the eyelet. It went in a little, then got stuck. It was really hard to get out. It seemed too tight. When I go to really mount this up, will a little grease and a little more force get it in there? Or do I need to remove some sort of bushing? There is a metal ring in the eyelet, but if I remove that, it looks like the mounting pin will be way too small.

Anyone with more experience have any suggestions? Thanks.

cybrsrce

« Reply #543 on: September 15, 2021, 06:03:03 PM »
Most of the Rockshox mounting hardware will require removal of the thin metal bushing in the shock eyelets.  I believe they are the standard 12.7mm (1/2 inch) so Rockshox and Fox mounting hardware should work.

scourge

« Reply #544 on: September 15, 2021, 06:14:02 PM »
Just eyeballing it, removing the metal bushing might make the eyelet too big for the mounting pin if it's not there

cybrsrce

« Reply #545 on: September 15, 2021, 06:42:10 PM »
It will depend on the kit you have, do you have calipers to measure?  If the mount axle is 12.5mm then the tolerance of the eyelet isn't great but continue pressing it in...  If the axle is 12.7mm then remove the eyelet bushing.

scourge

« Reply #546 on: September 15, 2021, 09:39:12 PM »
No calipers to measure.

Another question: there are three super thin spacers in the headset they gave us, where do they go?

RobertRinAustin

« Reply #547 on: September 15, 2021, 10:12:36 PM »
Got my moss green medium today. I'll post some pics and weight tomorrow. Ordered a DT Swiss F535 160 to go up front. Missing a few small things, but will get started on the build.

cybrsrce

« Reply #548 on: September 15, 2021, 10:48:59 PM »
No calipers to measure.

Another question: there are three super thin spacers in the headset they gave us, where do they go?

If you need them they would go on the top race before you put on the headset cover.  They are there to make sure you can properly preload without the headset cover making too much contact with the frame and binding up the whole thing so you can't steer.  It should cover all the headset bits just enough to keep dirt out but not so much that there is a big gap under it.

cybrsrce

« Reply #549 on: September 15, 2021, 10:50:18 PM »
Got my moss green medium today. I'll post some pics and weight tomorrow. Ordered a DT Swiss F535 160 to go up front. Missing a few small things, but will get started on the build.

We need some build threads, break up the P9 monotony...

scourge

« Reply #550 on: September 15, 2021, 10:55:50 PM »
Thank you cybr

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #551 on: September 15, 2021, 11:35:46 PM »
Hi,

New to the forum and just received my frame. M size. Looks good BUT:

Like “riding_truckee”, my seatpost insertion length limited by few imperfections in the downtube (at the connection with horizontal tube). Tried to remove with sandpaper for 2 hours but still a lot to go… This stuff is pretty hard and don’t want to damage the tube by removing too much.

Like “cybrsrce”,  I need to change my bearing eyelet by a standard one on the Super Deluxe I had already purchased before receiving the frame (got the spare already but looking for a tuto).

A new issue (that I have not seen on the forum yet)  is one of the rear triangle thread came damaged .. and has damaged the link bolt.  I will try to repair the triangle insert thread (with a drill tap) but need a new bolt. Contacted winowsport and waiting feedback. Will see.

Did you buy the frame from Eddy and the group buy or a different source? I imagine you know this, but if thru Eddy it is made by Haideli and not Winowsport. If it is winowsport then the frame might be slightly different and they could be using different hardware. But I would hope they will take care of it and send replacements since it was most likely cross threaded when they assembled it. I would also inquire about the size of it and the thread and pitch. It is probably metric threading so depending where you are from it might be hard to find the right size tap. Hopefully the female side is an insert and can be replaced when they send new hardware (hard to tell in the picture). Hopefully it's good quality but you might want to order a replacement to have just in case if they give you the full dimensions.

I assume you mean that you need to replace the mounting hardware on the shock eyelet for a different width? If so, the eyelet should have a (usually white-ish) DU bushing pressed in from both sides. There is then an "axle" that is in various lengths that match up to the width of the frame mount. This is pressed thru the bushings and is normally a pretty tight fit. Then there is usually another spacer on each side of the eyelet that touches the eyelet and extends to the end of the axle, usually with a seal or o-ring that sits in a groove next to eyelet to help keep crud out. The spacers are usually aluminum or sometimes plastic and you need to get at least one side off and it's best to use something plastic so you don't ding up anything. Something like a guitar pick will let you get between the eyelet and spacer and work around it to create a gap. Once you get a bit of a gap it's pretty easy to get off. You can then try taking something hard (plastic or wood is best) and pushing on the axle and see if it will move with hand pressure. Once out it's just a matter of pushing the new axle in and putting the new spacers on each side. However, if you can't get the axle out or new one in you will need to use a vise or long threaded bolt with washers and nuts and something like a socket that is the right diameter. For this a YouTube video will be much better to see what's required. As long as this ended up, that was probably best from the start. But if the axle isn't real tight it can be done by hand, it just depends on your shock.

For your seat tube, a long wood or plastic dowel is best, then glue a strip of sandpaper to the end, stick it down the tube and put a mark on the dowel so you know you're at the right depth, and chuck it in a drill. The dowel won't damage the seat tube and just take your time sanding and checking it often.

Good luck and sorry this got so long...

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #552 on: September 15, 2021, 11:40:53 PM »
It will depend on the kit you have, do you have calipers to measure?  If the mount axle is 12.5mm then the tolerance of the eyelet isn't great but continue pressing it in...  If the axle is 12.7mm then remove the eyelet bushing.

Isn't the hole in the bushings supposed to be approx 12.7mm? And with the bushings removed and just the eyelet, it's a 15mm hole? To go from 12.5 to 12.7 with bushing removed, the bushing would only be 0.1mm thick...

Thrill21

« Reply #553 on: September 16, 2021, 04:52:47 AM »
Thank you cybr

This is out of control. I thought this thread was about the frame, and shipping etc. Wow. Admin?

JJJ

« Reply #554 on: September 16, 2021, 05:12:38 AM »
This is out of control. I thought this thread was about the frame, and shipping etc. Wow. Admin?
What posts in this thread are not about the frame? Haven't seen that many...