Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 128311 times)

Jal

Re: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!
« Reply #570 on: September 18, 2021, 12:02:57 PM »
WXY-Express = 2021-09-17 18:20:00   TAKE_OFF   Flight has departed :D

darius72

« Reply #571 on: September 18, 2021, 12:34:55 PM »
Same here flight departed with same timing. We are on the same flight. Final destination Italy. Where do you live JAL?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 12:42:23 PM by darius72 »

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #572 on: September 18, 2021, 04:00:38 PM »
Frame flex shouldn't matter. The 22.2mm is the lower  eyelet that connects to the metal linkage. That thing feels solid. I don't think its going to flex. The .5mm bushings you sent in the link look good, but I think they may be too big. People have said 22.86 works, so 22.2 plus another two .5mm shims give a us 23.2mm. I'm thinking that might be too thick. The shims ar only two bucks so I may order some to try. Your soda can idea is interesting.

Yeah, without the frame in hand (supposed to be monday) I was picturing the front mount even though I know that's 30mm. My mistake. I have those shims in hand as I was making an order anyways and I will post how a 22.2 spacer and one fits as soon as I get the frame if anyone is interested. I would imagine different thicknesses are available on eBay or McMaster and similar if someone rather buy them.

With those shims you can use just one, bringing it to 22.7. So that's 0.16mm which can't be much more than a sheet of paper if that. At some point it will have to be considered close enough or figure out some custom thickness shims whether made or bought.

I've made many shims over the years from soda or beer cans and they work well. Sometimes a plastic bottle works too, and come in a wider range of thicknesses.

scourge

« Reply #573 on: September 18, 2021, 04:54:17 PM »
I ordered some .1mm shims but they won't be here until mid October. I figure I could use three or four on each side. May do soda can shim until they get here.

Jal

« Reply #574 on: September 18, 2021, 08:13:42 PM »
Same here flight departed with same timing. We are on the same flight. Final destination Italy. Where do you live JAL?

Spain. Yes, it seems our frames are coming on the same flight then

Thrill21

« Reply #575 on: September 19, 2021, 08:30:36 AM »
Spain. Yes, it seems our frames are coming on the same flight then

Hey guys, curious to know, how long did it take for your to get a tracking number after paying for your frame?

Thanks,

darius72

« Reply #576 on: September 19, 2021, 09:01:23 AM »
Hey guys, curious to know, how long did it take for your to get a tracking number after paying for your frame?

Thanks,

The questions hasn't unique answer: I bought the frame in June and they told me I have to wait approx 1 month for building the frame; also Haideli found some problems on rear triangle and had some delays in production due to modification. At the end of August they told me the frame was ready and the day after they shipped it and emailed me the tracking number.
I think now the frames are in stock or have quite short production time; the first buyers on this thread waited as long as six months, they bought a dream that now is becoming real.

Jal

« Reply #577 on: September 19, 2021, 10:30:15 AM »
Similar to darius72, but I ordered and paid in mid-April. There wasn't even a sample photo of what the size L frame looked like, but the aesthetics of the samples and geometry of the Hightower caught my eye. The shape of the seat tube changed in the final production version compared to the photos of the samples, I'm not sure if changed for the better according to my taste, at least for the large sizes, I'll see when receive it... On August 27th Eddy asked me for address confirmation, the frame was ready to ship and on September 1st I already had the tracking number. But now will be another story, production is underway and the wait will be short I guess.

cybrsrce

« Reply #578 on: September 19, 2021, 02:04:59 PM »

Thanks,

I ordered after the first group buy, but before the second, on August 8th.  Custom single paint color size M, was recently told it was in paint, or queue for paint, and hasn't shipped yet.  If I get it under two months for ordering I will consider that a win.  Raw carbon or stock color and I probably would have it, or at least a shipping number, by now.

Thrill21

« Reply #579 on: September 20, 2021, 05:41:43 AM »
I ordered after the first group buy, but before the second, on August 8th.  Custom single paint color size M, was recently told it was in paint, or queue for paint, and hasn't shipped yet.  If I get it under two months for ordering I will consider that a win.  Raw carbon or stock color and I probably would have it, or at least a shipping number, by now.

Right on, thank you - I'm not sure what Group buy I was part of (Maybe B) I ordered middle of August and just got my tracking number

xtinction

« Reply #580 on: September 20, 2021, 06:40:45 AM »
hi guys ive received my M size frame recently so im here just to update the rest on some issues

1)as mentioned before the seat tube will not accept a dropper post all the way into the frame (150mm dropper for reference)
   i have tried sanding it for abit but havent managed it to get it to fit cant seem to find whats stopping it
   ive settled on using a shim to run my dropper all the way slammed with a 30.9 dropper

2) even with the m size frame the fork will contact the downtube of the frame so a headset spacer will be needed.
    your mileage my very im using a lyrik ultimate 51mm offset for reference ( idk if offset will make a difference)

cybrsrce

« Reply #581 on: September 20, 2021, 07:01:44 AM »
hi guys ive received my M size frame recently so im here just to update the rest on some issues

1)as mentioned before the seat tube will not accept a dropper post all the way into the frame (150mm dropper for reference)
   i have tried sanding it for abit but havent managed it to get it to fit cant seem to find whats stopping it
   ive settled on using a shim to run my dropper all the way slammed with a 30.9 dropper

2) even with the m size frame the fork will contact the downtube of the frame so a headset spacer will be needed.
    your mileage my very im using a lyrik ultimate 51mm offset for reference ( idk if offset will make a difference)

Thanks for the dropper information and tip about the smaller diameter working as an option.
You may not be surprised to hear but that big charger damper knob hits a lot of frames.  I'm going to pick up a 3mm Cane Creek crown race spacer just in case.
Are you using the supplied headset?

jabbajaw99

« Reply #582 on: September 20, 2021, 11:39:10 AM »
Frame flex shouldn't matter. The 22.2mm is the lower  eyelet that connects to the metal linkage. That thing feels solid. I don't think its going to flex. The .5mm bushings you sent in the link look good, but I think they may be too big. People have said 22.86 works, so 22.2 plus another two .5mm shims give a us 23.2mm. I'm thinking that might be too thick. The shims ar only two bucks so I may order some to try. Your soda can idea is interesting.
0.3mm shims are available
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000857907277.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.2ad93c00sm8jy6&mp=1
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32973709111.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.2ad93c00sm8jy6&mp=1

scourge

« Reply #583 on: September 20, 2021, 12:03:36 PM »
I saw those. I bought some .1mm shims. I'm guessing it won't make a difference if I use multiple .1 shims instead of one .3mm. at least I hope it won't make a difference.

xtinction

« Reply #584 on: September 20, 2021, 01:36:19 PM »
Thanks for the dropper information and tip about the smaller diameter working as an option.
You may not be surprised to hear but that big charger damper knob hits a lot of frames.  I'm going to pick up a 3mm Cane Creek crown race spacer just in case.
Are you using the supplied headset?

yup this was done with the suppiled headset. I'll be getting the reverse crownrace like many others here.