Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 128545 times)

Snacks

Re: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!
« Reply #720 on: October 11, 2021, 01:34:20 PM »
Snacks - please post a picture from further away.

Here's a couple. You can see from where the pedal is it couldn't have been my foot unless I had it at a very awkward angle. I can assure you I did not  ;D

cybrsrce

« Reply #721 on: October 11, 2021, 01:40:56 PM »
Are the linkage bolts torqued up enough?  If those bolts aren't loose, did the rear triangle feel all squirrelly?  Looks like it would have to move in a lot to make contact there.

sips56

« Reply #722 on: October 11, 2021, 06:33:02 PM »
Frame showed up Saturday way ahead of schedule. Under 3 weeks to NJ!
finalizing paint decisions and will get to work shortly.

Snacks

« Reply #723 on: October 11, 2021, 07:07:11 PM »
Are the linkage bolts torqued up enough?  If those bolts aren't loose, did the rear triangle feel all squirrelly?  Looks like it would have to move in a lot to make contact there.

The bolts aren't loose. Riding it down the street and back it felt fine. Not squirlly at all. Now im just even more confused. I'm not sure what else could have caused this

Confused

« Reply #724 on: October 11, 2021, 07:19:51 PM »
Outer edge on the triangle looks like a strike from something - it is more of a chip.  The spot on inner edge of triangle and on the frame look like rubbing.  Even if something was loose when installing I don't think the parts would have rubbed enough to damage paint.

StefanB

« Reply #725 on: October 12, 2021, 01:39:46 AM »
Things are slowly progressing. Tested the dropper än it fits perfect, no problems there.

BSAM

« Reply #726 on: October 12, 2021, 10:32:11 AM »
Things are slowly progressing. Tested the dropper än it fits perfect, no problems there.

Would you mind to share with us what you used for the chainstay protector?  looks like a sticky back type.  Thanks.

scourge

« Reply #727 on: October 12, 2021, 12:16:57 PM »
I tried to put in my PNW Loam dropper last night, and it got stuck with about an inch and a half or so left until the max insertion point. I had to break out the file. It took a while but I finally got it in there. Luckily I had a long file I bought to file the steerer tube after cutting it.

scourge

« Reply #728 on: October 12, 2021, 12:20:29 PM »
It was a little stressful because the file was just long enough to where the handle had to go in the seat tube just a bit. So where I think I needed to file, I kept catching the handle on the top of the tube. Add to that the fact you're just hoping your filing the right spot way down in there. It wasn't fun, but I finally got it.

StefanB

« Reply #729 on: October 12, 2021, 02:44:08 PM »
Would you mind to share with us what you used for the chainstay protector?  looks like a sticky back type.  Thanks.

The chainstay protector is for a Nukeproof Mega 29.

darius72

« Reply #730 on: October 12, 2021, 03:46:05 PM »
Gentlemen,

Anyone completed the build with the crown spacer to prevent the front fork from hitting the downtube?  I'm quite confused on what we should use;  +0.5° crown spacer?  My fork hit the downtube (Frame Size S).  The rated head tube angle is 65.5° -  This would make 65° with the crown spacer?  I assumed the headset uses 45 degree bearing race. 

https://reverse-components-usa.com/products/reverse-angle-spacer

Most of the forks hit the downtube; a 3 mm can creek with zero change in head angle does the job; remember to change the bearing too to one with 36/45 degrees

scourge

« Reply #731 on: October 12, 2021, 04:23:46 PM »
Most of the forks hit the downtube; a 3 mm can creek with zero change in head angle does the job; remember to change the bearing too to one with 36/45 degrees

I was going to put my reverse angle spacer on mine. I actually put it on my Durolux but when I installed it, I couldn't get rid of the play in the headset. Then I figured out that I messed up and didn't replace the crown race, but rather put the reverse right on top of the crown race. This is my first build so I'm learning and there are errors.

So I popped off the reverse and removed the crown race. When I tried to put the reverse back on it didn't want to go back on. It was frustrating and I just decided to do without. My Durolux clears the downtube on my large frame, so I don't have to worry about that.

I still have a little bit of play in the headset without using it. I'm thinking of trying a star nut because I'm just not getting along with what came with the headset. I'm hoping the star nut will solve that.

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #732 on: October 12, 2021, 05:34:14 PM »
Has anyone that's gone with Shimano 12 speed been able to get the derailleur set up right? It seems like when the B screw adjustment is correct the derailleur isn't at the right angle. I'm still playing with it but shifting isn't very good so far.

I'm also going to try to find Shimanos specs on derailleur placement in relation to the axle. I'm new to 12 speed but was a bike mechanic for quite a few years and something seems "off".

Snacks

« Reply #733 on: October 12, 2021, 06:00:22 PM »
Has anyone that's gone with Shimano 12 speed been able to get the derailleur set up right? It seems like when the B screw adjustment is correct the derailleur isn't at the right angle. I'm still playing with it but shifting isn't very good so far.

I'm also going to try to find Shimanos specs on derailleur placement in relation to the axle. I'm new to 12 speed but was a bike mechanic for quite a few years and something seems "off".

Yea I'm using shimano 12 speed and its shifting real nice. I used the guide on the back of the derailleur to set up the b screw. My buddy had a bit more trouble but he followed directions on a website that suggested to use a setting that's inbetween what shimano 12speed and sram 12 speed recommends and his has been shifting great ever since.

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #734 on: October 12, 2021, 07:45:59 PM »
I tried the line on the back of the derailleur as well and it doesn't matter if the line is above, below, or right at the teeth tips, the line isn't perpendicular and one side angles away, like the angle is wrong. I cut the chain at front and biggest rear plus 5 and a quick link. Something seems off and not finding what and the shifting isn't great and isn't spinning very smooth.

I've gone over Shimanos installation documents a bunch and keep double checking and expecting to find something off but it hasn't happened yet...