Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 128589 times)

Deso

Re: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!
« Reply #960 on: December 03, 2021, 01:52:52 AM »
I really think Haideli should be doing something and trying to figure out some sort of solution to all of us that trusted in them to deliver a bike without a problem that will happen eventually. The fact we haven't heard anything, not even a 'sorry, we are looking at this and will figure something out,' doesn't seem very promising.

For those that have it, what are you planning on doing? Ride it as is? Figure out a solution? Wait for Haideli? Try to get your money back somehow? Something else? Just curious what others are thinking.

I'm really not feeling very hopeful about it! Even if the linkage issue is figured out, I still have to figure out the poor shifting problem that it looks like I'm the only one that's currently experiencing.

Guess I need to email Eddy since it doesn't appear he will be addressing the group. And if he doesn't then we should probably all start emailing him. We need to let it be known that we aren't happy and want a solution and if we speak up and all let him know, I would hope they take it more seriously or work on communicating if they are already doing so.

What about the shifting problem? I was already inspecting my derailleur hanger and found it is actually a bit to much to the back instead of going down. This also causes shifting problems on my side... Is this the same for you?

JJJ

« Reply #961 on: December 03, 2021, 02:56:00 AM »
What about the shifting problem? I was already inspecting my derailleur hanger and found it is actually a bit to much to the back instead of going down. This also causes shifting problems on my side... Is this the same for you?

I think we all have the same hanger. I do too, and have no shifting issues with a Shimano drivetrain.

cybrsrce

« Reply #962 on: December 03, 2021, 06:16:39 AM »

SRAM GX AXS here, no problems with hanger from factory.  I have had to straighten it twice since and have ordered two more.

You guys with shifting issues, especially Shimano, take some pictures of from the rear of the bike with it in a gear in the middle of the cassette.  If it is is anything like my SLX M7100 the cage might be the problem.  First Shimano drivetrain I've had in years and also the last.

JJJ

« Reply #963 on: December 03, 2021, 06:21:47 AM »
I found someone willing to make the bolts, a friend and co-founder of Effigear (https://www.effigear.com/en/). They make gearboxes for bikes (and also some bikes), and equip among others the Cavalerie bikes (https://www.cavalerie-bikes.com/home).

The cost is approx 280 EUR for a small series (up to ~50 bolts), so the more we are, the cheaper. They will even anodize them in black. They could deliver by end January 2022.

I've set up a spreadsheet for those interested. In there, please indicate the D and L dimensions for your frame, to check if these values are consistent. If not, I have another solution.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VllNnFhMycufNw3H4toELJPXWNQe-djAg7zDEYvuD0o/edit?usp=sharing

Maffly

« Reply #964 on: December 03, 2021, 09:29:51 AM »
Thank you and great work JJJ. With Eddy’s response a couple posts back and the possibility of a new carbon layup, what do you see as the most effective fix coming from the factory?  Bearings on the outside of the rear triangle with the c clip retaining thingy ala Yeti?  That seems very doable if the mold can be changed. Would like to hear your thoughts.

BTW. Going to take the bike out today with the 1mm nylon washers to see what it does. Will sign up for bolt buy when I can do the measurements.

Gigelz

« Reply #965 on: December 03, 2021, 10:12:47 AM »
good work so far, JJJ :) my frame is still on "customs clearance". Once i received it, i will do the measurements.

hagerd

« Reply #966 on: December 03, 2021, 12:18:50 PM »
So I had an idea about what the supplier could potentially do. The design could be changed to the Santa Cruz style without changing the molds for the rear triangle. All it would need is the link to be machined in a different way and some custom hardware. With this design everything could be tightened up and the bolt would pivot and not be fixed. Sorry in advance for the shoddy MS paint work. Thoughts?

Confused

« Reply #967 on: December 03, 2021, 12:34:36 PM »
I put my name on the bolts list.  Measurements to come later.

Maffly

« Reply #968 on: December 03, 2021, 12:47:02 PM »
I think the new link is best case scenario. 

scourge

« Reply #969 on: December 03, 2021, 01:53:02 PM »
I put my name on the bolts list.  Measurements to come later.

Same

JJJ

« Reply #970 on: December 03, 2021, 06:01:57 PM »
Thank you and great work JJJ. With Eddy’s response a couple posts back and the possibility of a new carbon layup, what do you see as the most effective fix coming from the factory?  Bearings on the outside of the rear triangle with the c clip retaining thingy ala Yeti?  That seems very doable if the mold can be changed. Would like to hear your thoughts.

BTW. Going to take the bike out today with the 1mm nylon washers to see what it does. Will sign up for bolt buy when I can do the measurements.

I really don't understand why they didn't clone the SC link, with the bearings inside the link and a through-axle. That's probably the best design, but SC use a rather complex axle system (which I didn't reproduce faithfully)... Bearings in the triangle are probably OK, provided they are held on both sides! (Hey, Yeti do that, but because they can't use a through-axle with their weirdo link).

emu26

« Reply #971 on: December 03, 2021, 08:54:11 PM »
I really don't understand why they didn't clone the SC link, with the bearings inside the link and a through-axle.

Point of difference to stop law suits / restriction of trade to other smaller companies?

Maffly

« Reply #972 on: December 03, 2021, 09:14:00 PM »
Agreed on putting bearings in the link. May even be some simple ways to do it. Big mistake on their part. That said…… I took the bike out today with the 1mm thick nylon washers on the outside of the carbon of the offending link underneath the aluminum bolt outside lip and it was very solid. There was no noticeable flex and the suspension seemed smooth and responsive. The bolts also did not come loose. There were not any clicking or creaking noises. Bike rode really well.

I think there is a chance that this may work. Bushings have long been used successfully in suspension design. We are all trial and erroring this thing but if the bushings are thin enough to allow the bolts inner sleeve to contact the bearings and thick enough to take up all the slop and provide structure and support to the link, could this not be a fix? 

One caveat: I only rode about 16 miles with 2k climbing and descending. No signs that it loosened up or the bushings wore down but how long can a fix like this last?  Who knows.

I locktighted the crap out of the bolts and let them sit for a couple days before riding. I also greased the area between the nylon and the aluminum bolts.

For what it’s worth.

hagerd

« Reply #973 on: December 03, 2021, 11:13:50 PM »
Where did you get your nylon washer?

Maffly

« Reply #974 on: December 03, 2021, 11:32:38 PM »
I got the washer at the hardware store and got to work with some scissors to trim the outer diameter