Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 128155 times)

Rod.GL

Re: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!
« Reply #1020 on: December 11, 2021, 10:04:22 AM »
Ah, the carbon eyelets with two bearings - similar to my fix  ;D

A lower link with through-axle. Better. Yet the link still has a cutout between the eyelets. Can do better without the cutout.

So what is the upgrade policy for the purchasers of the first version?

I lack the knowlede regarding speficics about bearings, bolts, and mechanical engineering in general. But what about ease of service to replace the bearings? Common tools either push the bearing in or out, and I know there are tools that pull (or jank even) the bearings out. How would the bearings from the revised rear triangle be removed? Is there enough space for a tool that pulls bearings out? Because I see that tools that push bearings in and out would not be possible to use here. Maybe I am just overthinking this or simply speak from my ignorance...

JJJ

« Reply #1021 on: December 11, 2021, 11:35:43 AM »
He did a lot of work, and it's not fair to let him down. Just my2cents.

Yes, I spent a lot of time, but it was fun and instructive. I have not paid anything yet, the guy is a friend and will only request payment when he starts the batch. The expensive part is the time needed the first time for programming and setting up the machine for a batch, and that cost is of course spread over the number of parts in the batch. So the more we are, the cheaper.

Eddy has not clearly responded about offering an official upgrade, and at what price. If they don't make a substantial commercial effort (they should!), the upgrade will not be cheap (as I understand, it would include the rear triangle and also the bottom link, and maybe even the top link, and all the bolts).

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #1022 on: December 11, 2021, 02:01:59 PM »
The Haideli revision looks pretty solid, but I’m hoping to commit to buying a frame (either AM831 or FM1002) in the next month or so and would only be comfortable getting an AM831 after at least one rider builds up the revised frame and can give us a review of their experience.

Hopefully someone receives theirs soon, because I can’t afford to commit without the confidence independent testing would give us.

JJJ

« Reply #1023 on: December 11, 2021, 02:49:10 PM »
The Haideli revision looks pretty solid, but I’m hoping to commit to buying a frame (either AM831 or FM1002) in the next month or so and would only be comfortable getting an AM831 after at least one rider builds up the revised frame and can give us a review of their experience.

Solid yes, but overkill. Four 6802 bearings on one axle is unnecessary. The design remains wrong, sorry Haideli. There should be two bearings only, held axially in both directions, preferably in the link, and a link with a through-axle.

Note also that some (lateral) flex in the rear triangle is not necessarily wrong (unless it's the bearings shifting in their eyelets!). Such flex only occurs when you tilt the bike, like when cornering. In that situation, the suspension is less effective vertically, and it's the flex of the triangle that gives you the plushness. I've read tests where reviewers complain that some (full suspension) frames are too stiff!

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #1024 on: December 11, 2021, 03:26:57 PM »
Solid yes, but overkill. Four 6802 bearings on one axle is unnecessary. The design remains wrong, sorry Haideli. There should be two bearings only, held axially in both directions, preferably in the link, and a link with a through-axle.

Note also that some (lateral) flex in the rear triangle is not necessarily wrong (unless it's the bearings shifting in their eyelets!). Such flex only occurs when you tilt the bike, like when cornering. In that situation, the suspension is less effective vertically, and it's the flex of the triangle that gives you the plushness. I've read tests where reviewers complain that some (full suspension) frames are too stiff!

I mean, in principle I’m a big fan of overkill. My current main bike has a 38mm 180 fork and 2.8 tires on it. But you make a good point.

I’m attracted to the idea of a VPP frame over another 4-bar like my current bike, but it’s looking like field testing the revised rear triangle/links is going to take too long for me to base my winter build on the 831. That’s too bad, it really seems like it would have obvious advantages over a 4-bar if it’s reliable.

JJJ

« Reply #1025 on: December 11, 2021, 03:59:05 PM »
I mean, in principle I’m a big fan of overkill. My current main bike has a 38mm 180 fork and 2.8 tires on it. But you make a good point.

I’m attracted to the idea of a VPP frame over another 4-bar like my current bike, but it’s looking like field testing the revised rear triangle/links is going to take too long for me to base my winter build on the 831. That’s too bad, it really seems like it would have obvious advantages over a 4-bar if it’s reliable.

Whoa, that is overkill, but it depends on your riding style, eh? My 831 V1 is pretty reliable so far. I've ridden long gnarly trails and over jumps, here in the Alps, with no issues. My bearings are still holding, which is why I didn't understand people complaining about excessive flex until I looked closer at the design.

cybrsrce

« Reply #1026 on: December 11, 2021, 04:44:50 PM »
Whoa, that is overkill, but it depends on your riding style, eh? My 831 V1 is pretty reliable so far. I've ridden long gnarly trails and over jumps, here in the Alps, with no issues. My bearings are still holding, which is why I didn't understand people complaining about excessive flex until I looked closer at the design.

The tighter it is at the link the less I feel the flex.  Still feels like the rear is slipping around far more than it should and when I hit a tight berm at speed it can stand me up like a spring.  I'm also a heavy somewhat aggressive rider and I move the rear end of the bike around a lot.  I don't have a reference point for a frame like this but I've never had this type of feeling before.  It feels much more stable than any carbon bike I have ridden when putting down torque, they did really well with the layup for the forces required for their testing rig.  Lean the bike to the side though and it gets really awkward. 

I guess that is to put it into perspective for people that haven't been in the conversation as long as we have.  Big fan of your ingenuity to make this setup better and I can't wait to see how it works out.

Hell, my 831 has a 38mm fork :)  I do hope this new triangle design will cut the flex in half but not much more. 

Maffly

« Reply #1027 on: December 11, 2021, 05:44:47 PM »
My washers keeping it rideable but too much flex still. Hard turns flex the tire into the seat and chain stays. Way more movement than my YT.

threeathan

« Reply #1028 on: December 13, 2021, 03:14:15 AM »
Just messaged eddy regarding the fix of the rear triangle here are the replies, lowkey disappointed, would have rather waited till a proper fix was arranged, before my frame (with the flaw) was shipped, which was last week tuesday.

Eddy-haideli

« Reply #1029 on: December 13, 2021, 04:26:24 AM »
Got the emails, and i will replying sooner, thanks for all the feedbacks.

Thanks
Eddy
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 04:28:01 AM by Eddy-haideli »

JJJ

Bolt order for AM831 link upgrade kit
« Reply #1030 on: December 13, 2021, 07:07:02 AM »
Order list

The bolts are pretty cheap now, provided those in the list commit to ordering theirs.

Please commit to your orders with a down payment to my email address indicated in the spreadsheet, and by providing your email and shipping addresses. Either put your information, including your nickname, in the PayPal message, or send me an email.

I am far from having all the contact information and down payments for those in the list. If you are no longer interested, remove yourself from the list so that we can figure out the correct price for those that remain interested.

And don't forget to order your 6703-2RS bearings to see if they fit in the recess.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 09:46:08 AM by JJJ »

sips56

Re: Bolt order for AM831 link upgrade kit
« Reply #1031 on: December 13, 2021, 01:01:01 PM »
Order list

The bolts are pretty cheap now, provided those in the list commit to ordering theirs.

Please commit to your orders with a down payment to my email address indicated in the spreadsheet, and by providing your email and shipping addresses. Either put your information, including your nickname, in the PayPal message, or send me an email.

I am far from having all the contact information and down payments for those in the list. If you are no longer interested, remove yourself from the list so that we can figure out the correct price for those that remain interested.

And don't forget to order your 6703-2RS bearings to see if they fit in the recess.

Just sent down payment by the name of Luke Pardi.  Thanks again JJJ.

Gigelz

« Reply #1032 on: December 13, 2021, 03:11:53 PM »
I will take care of that tomorrow :) thanks JJJ !

BSAM

Re: Bolt order for AM831 link upgrade kit
« Reply #1033 on: December 13, 2021, 06:22:00 PM »
Order list

Just sent you the down payment.  Thank you for taking the Lead JJJ. 

Confused

« Reply #1034 on: December 13, 2021, 06:30:11 PM »
Down payment sent!