Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 128349 times)

xtinction

Re: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!
« Reply #1035 on: December 13, 2021, 09:00:42 PM »
So guys i just got an update for the new upgrade triangle

hagerd

« Reply #1036 on: December 13, 2021, 09:19:24 PM »
So I JUST got my frame, its the old design. What do you guys think the chance of refunding through paypal? or is that a lost cause? This is some bullshit that they would ship the defective triangle, eddy even told me not to worry that they had fixed it and revised the mold.

« Reply #1037 on: December 13, 2021, 09:41:24 PM »
I got that same email. It's ridiculous to have knowingly shipped defective products and then charge $250 for the fix. He should at least make it right for the people that ordered the frame after they were aware of the issue over a month ago. They should have halted shipping at that point until the new mold was finished.

threeathan

« Reply #1038 on: December 13, 2021, 09:50:08 PM »
I fully agree eddy should have halted the shipping out of the new frames once this issue has been known. Charging us for a fix is simply outrageous. I would understand if we would have to pay to ship, and the fix is provided free of charge. Charging 220usd for the fix is honestly disappointing, noting that he mentioned the frame has been fixed, and we need not worry, 1 month later a "real fix" is issued, but we need to pay for it ....

xtinction

« Reply #1039 on: December 13, 2021, 09:50:14 PM »
I got that same email. It's ridiculous to have knowingly shipped defective products and then charge $250 for the fix. He should at least make it right for the people that ordered the frame after they were aware of the issue over a month ago. They should have halted shipping at that point until the new mold was finished.

I honestly feel they should honour their 1 year warranty agreement . I mean i don't expect a free rear triangle which is completely understandable but atleast a subsidised cost for the people who have taken a risk with the frame

Maffly

« Reply #1040 on: December 13, 2021, 09:52:38 PM »
I was told the issue was resolved as well. This frame is defective and should be a free of charge warranty fix 100 percent. Very very shady business dealings. Not sure I even trust the new rear triangle until someone actually uses it. Send more money to the company that basically scammed us? 

cybrsrce

« Reply #1041 on: December 13, 2021, 10:31:02 PM »
Maybe they did fix the QA issue on the upper link and triangle connection.  Also possible that they made layup adjustments on the "standard" triangle for small improvements.

This new rear triangle may just be an upgrade for the hard charging and/or 200lb/90kg+ riders where the standard triangle can't manage the lateral forces.

I don't know, I'm not trying to justify it because most of you know I have one the flexes beyond what I think is optimal.  Are we the vocal minority?

Yes, people getting frames right now don't have the beefier design but does it move around like it is barely attached?  If you have a wheel and seatpost to throw on and to test that would be interesting to see.

Email says in production and finished in mid January, to me that says starting in April and maybe shipped by June.  Add another month for paint.  I'd like to be wrong on the timeline and get one before spring.

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #1042 on: December 13, 2021, 11:43:07 PM »

Maybe they did fix the QA issue on the upper link and triangle connection.  Also possible that they made layup adjustments on the "standard" triangle for small improvements.

This new rear triangle may just be an upgrade for the hard charging and/or 200lb/90kg+ riders where the standard triangle can't manage the lateral forces.

I don't know, I'm not trying to justify it because most of you know I have one the flexes beyond what I think is optimal.  Are we the vocal minority?

Yes, people getting frames right now don't have the beefier design but does it move around like it is barely attached?  If you have a wheel and seatpost to throw on and to test that would be interesting to see.

Email says in production and finished in mid January, to me that says starting in April and maybe shipped by June.  Add another month for paint.  I'd like to be wrong on the timeline and get one before spring.

If the bearings are still pressed in from the inside with no way to retain them,, and there are 2 bolts, one on each side, then there is still a design flaw even if lateral flex is reduced.

It doesn't seem like as many people are having shifting problems, but the derailleur hanger is built outside of Sram's 12 speed design specs. For some it may shift ok now, but I have to think it could be better if within specs. And what will happen once things start to wear? I don't know, but I do know mine doesn't shift worth a....hoot, and no combination of adjustments will make it any better.

I gave the frame a chance and would love it if it worked as intended, but I will not be spending any more money on it when I still don't know if I will have a rideable bike.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 02:22:07 AM by FlaMtnBkr »

xtinction

« Reply #1043 on: December 14, 2021, 12:45:05 AM »
If the bearings are still pressed in from the inside with no way to retain them,, and there are 2 bolts, one on each side, then there is still a design flaw even if lateral flex is reduced.

It doesn't seem like as many people are having shifting problems, but the derailleur hanger is built outside of Sram's 12 speed design specs. For some it may shift ok now, but I have to think it could be better if within specs. And what will happen once things start to wear? I don't know, but I do know mine doesn't shift worth a....hoot, and no combination of adjustments will make it any better.

I gave the frame a chance and would love it if it worked as intended, but I will not be spending any more money on it when I still don't know if I will have a rideable bike.

Sorry if this sounds ignorant but the new rear triangle has 1 bearing pressed from the inside and one pressed from the outside no ? So its similar like jjj fix for the frame right . Wont that fix the issue

YEEPYEEP

« Reply #1044 on: December 14, 2021, 12:57:45 AM »
No one should be paying a cent for the new triangle including the shipping fee. They sent you a defective item, they should fix it. Lucky I didn't purchase this frame, sounds like a headache.

Stef Biggel

« Reply #1045 on: December 14, 2021, 01:16:45 AM »
I had buyed the Frame direct from Tideace Official Store. So i'm a lucky one, the frame was not shipped till yet and i got the possibility to get the new one in January. Hopefully the timeline of cybrscre will not became true.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 01:24:13 AM by Stef Biggel »

JJJ

« Reply #1046 on: December 14, 2021, 01:24:24 AM »
Sorry if this sounds ignorant but the new rear triangle has 1 bearing pressed from the inside and one pressed from the outside no ? So its similar like jjj fix for the frame right . Wont that fix the issue

That is apparently the case - the bolt will hold the two bearings against each other, cancelling the play without rubbing. It is however an overkill solution - they should have designed it with a single bearing, but held in the recess with a screw-in ring, à la Yeti SB150.

JJJ

« Reply #1047 on: December 14, 2021, 01:33:23 AM »
So guys i just got an update for the new upgrade triangle

That is indeed not a reasonable commercial effort... But the Chinese don't have a good reputation in that respect, alas. We've played to save big $, but we lost.

So they haven't changed the links. I wonder what the bottom through-axle design is like.

Stef Biggel

« Reply #1048 on: December 14, 2021, 01:45:03 AM »
Hy JJJ, maybe i'm one of the first getting the new triangle in Janury. If the the frame reach me, i will give the comunity some detail pics.

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #1049 on: December 14, 2021, 02:20:00 AM »

I was trying to reply to a post but managed to not get it quoted. He was suggesting that they had made changes to the layup of the carbon to make it stiffer, before this new triangle was designed. I was just trying to say that even if it was stiffer, if nothing was done like the double bearings, there would still be a design flaw. It wasn't about the new triangle. Sorry if that was confusing and I'll try to edit in the missing quote.