Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 128223 times)

darius72

Re: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!
« Reply #1080 on: December 15, 2021, 08:08:23 AM »
I don't like that lower link, but I prefer V1 to V2. The lower link V1 is not as bad as the upper link, because the bearings are rigidly coupled to each other in aluminum, and the carbon chain stays are in a region where they will not flex much relative to each other, guaranteeing a substantially constant width in the link area, i.e. the flex won't tend to pull out the bearings from their recesses as much as in the upper link.
That is exactly my idea: in the lower area there is less flex and even less after we will lock the upper; and, as you say, the bearings are in the alluminium so it is much more difficult to move them.
After  implementing your mod IMHO the frame should be enough safe and durable. Your solution is an engineering solution, the haideli one is just "houston we have a problem let's make everything bigger just in case"; and is very expensive too.

JJJ

Bolt order for AM831 link upgrade kit
« Reply #1081 on: December 16, 2021, 08:37:53 AM »
OK, I received my 6703 bearings. Hey, they're so small!

The inner race is not very tall, so my fears of it rubbing against the carbon are unfounded.

Snug fit in the bolt head recess on one side, but harder to insert in the recess on the other side. Most likely the paint needs to be scraped off and then it should be OK, like for those of you who measured slightly less than 23mm diameter.

hagerd

« Reply #1082 on: December 16, 2021, 09:48:16 AM »
I received my frame and bearings, fit is similar to yours JJJ.

cybrsrce

« Reply #1083 on: December 16, 2021, 10:16:40 AM »
I provided the drawing from Sram and anyone is free to measure theirs to see if it's within spec, but it's not. Looking at the drawing, these hangers have a x=15 and an L=27mm.

My L=30.44mm and the X is really hard to gauge even with a straight edge but it is something like 13mm.  How much does that X matter when the b screw is properly set?  I honestly don't know.  SRAM has a new tool that is really easy to use to set the limit, did it once at sag and haven't had to do any AXS trimming for the gears.  Looking at the reference specs, all the major brands are L=~30mm and X=7-10mm but I don't know if that considers full suspension.

scourge

« Reply #1084 on: December 16, 2021, 03:52:56 PM »
The 830 looks awesome, but I agree with you. From the way the fix was handled, I don't really want to risk an early buy.

cybrsrce

« Reply #1085 on: December 16, 2021, 03:58:58 PM »
Hasn't it been around for a while though?  I remember looking at it a while ago, looks like it could be a nice ride but it is ugly like a Ripmo (fight me!)  It is probably the frame I should have bought. 

scourge

« Reply #1086 on: December 16, 2021, 06:18:50 PM »
I think it was announced last year. And I remember they sent out some of the smaller frames already. There's a thread on here with a guy who painted his like a yellow Pivot Firebird.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #1087 on: December 16, 2021, 06:21:01 PM »
Hasn't it been around for a while though?  I remember looking at it a while ago, looks like it could be a nice ride but it is ugly like a Ripmo (fight me!)  It is probably the frame I should have bought.

I think you’re right, I do remember looking it up a few months ago. I guess I was thrown off by Eddy referring to it as a “new mold.” I was more just thinking about the timing of a new group buy thread for it being posted now.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 06:27:19 PM by FullCarbonAlchemist »

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #1088 on: December 16, 2021, 06:26:21 PM »
I think it was announced last year. And I remember they sent out some of the smaller frames already. There's a thread on here with a guy who painted his like a yellow Pivot Firebird.

For some reason the search wasn’t bringing it up with any of the keywords I used, but I finally found it.

I guess with all the activity in the threads about the other frames I’m considering, this one being idle for a while made me forget all about it.

https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3018.0.html

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #1089 on: December 16, 2021, 06:36:26 PM »
Looks like that yellow frame is the only one I can find anywhere that’s been built up. I can see why it’s mentioned multiple times in that thread as an alternative to the 831, though it does look like only a small sample manufacturing run has been done up to this point.

If it’s available to ship more or less now, and that guy still has no complaints, it’s tempting. I do wish Haideli would make these frames with a little more tire clearance than 2.4, though.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 06:43:26 PM by FullCarbonAlchemist »

JJJ

« Reply #1090 on: December 17, 2021, 02:17:46 AM »
If it’s available to ship more or less now, and that guy still has no complaints, it’s tempting. I do wish Haideli would make these frames with a little more tire clearance than 2.4, though.

These frames are made in "open molds" that are shared among several manufacturers, so it doesn't depend on Haideli alone. Same thing for any upgrade - they probably discuss this among themselves so that they are in sync, which takes some time. I bought my frame from Winow Cycles, and they announced that an upgrade is coming, although they didn't say I would get it for free.

Eddy-haideli

« Reply #1091 on: December 17, 2021, 02:21:28 AM »
The 830 looks awesome, but I agree with you. From the way the fix was handled, I don't really want to risk an early buy.

If the frame FS-AM831 got the quality issue, anyone shows the picture we would be positive to solve it.
For the replacement. but for the VPP construction, that the flexing wuld be exsit even the SC frame.
What we can do would be try our best to avoid that, and offer you guys the best price we can offer for the upgraded new triangle.
The price USD220/piece is a reasonable price.

And the mold FS-830 without the same issue.
Thanks for your interesting.

Eddy

Eddy-haideli

« Reply #1092 on: December 17, 2021, 02:22:47 AM »
Actually this design flaw bite me in the ass, i broke my collarbone on a berm due to the flex, i usually rip those. Im not a heavy rider 85 kg fully kited. And i was charged the same price for a new rear triangle. I feel this is the worst way to handle this situation.

Can you please show us what happened, is there any broken for the frame?
We are sorry to hear for the hurts.

JJJ

« Reply #1093 on: December 17, 2021, 02:28:37 AM »
There's a thread on here with a guy who painted his like a yellow Pivot Firebird.

Yes, because the guy was persuaded it was a clone of the Pivot Firebird. Something that needs to be checked for design flaws - the links look like they can't be made much different than the original, which was not the case for the 831. So maybe ditch the 831 and switch to the 830... or give the 831 to your wife or your kid, if they don't ride hard.

JJJ

« Reply #1094 on: December 17, 2021, 02:35:15 AM »
If the frame FS-AM831 got the quality issue, anyone shows the picture we would be positive to solve it.

Eddy, all first versions of the 831 frames have the "quality issue" from the start, because the design is flawed. The quality issue is a bearing that is not held in its recess. The bearing is pulled in and out of its recess as the pivot is submitted to axial forces. As long as the press-fit holds, the flaw is not that visible, but eventually the press-fit will fade and the pivot becomes a ball joint.

Plus, the "issue" is not something you can show on a picture, because it's in the behavior of the bike, i.e. it's something you more feel than see. Unless you simply want a picture of the pivot showing that the bearing is not held, but that you know already.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 03:18:00 AM by JJJ »