Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 128572 times)

cybrsrce

Re: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!
« Reply #1095 on: December 17, 2021, 06:40:34 AM »
Mistakes were made...  The Hightower is a bike park bro model and rides great in a straight line.  The numbers on this are in between that and a Megatower but the rear has a lot more flex which I'm hoping to solve with the updated triangle.

I shook one Megatower and asked another Megatower owner to do theirs as a test, much stiffer than stock 831.  That isn't a fair comparison but nobody rides a Hightower on my local trails.  There may be a Bronson or two.

JJJ's update with the outer bearing will provide a super smooth pivot action as well as a better connection because nothing will bind in the motion.  Something updated with the beefier triangle, I don't know how it will work without new bolts though so I hope they're included.  JJJ - have to keep your contact in the loop, I may need more custom bolts :)

The 830 looks like a Ripmo, maybe a 429 but not so much the Firebird, and is in theory a great rowdy terrain platform.  If you have a long chunky rock chute than ends in a tall drop to flat with a high tight berm right after the landing - this frame style is probably better for you.   

Maffly

« Reply #1096 on: December 17, 2021, 10:13:38 AM »
Eddy. 220 dollars is a great price for a crash replacement. If you send me a perfectly functional bike and I crack it by crashing into a big rock, that is on me and I am happy to pay to fix it. If you send me a bike with a clearly documented flaw that is not capable of basic trail riding without modifications then that is on the company.  I even emailed you about the issue when you still had the frame. You assured me that my frame was all good with no problems and that the issue was fixed.  You may get away with charging for this, but the trust in your company will take a huge hit. Haideli may save a few thousand in the short term by not taking responsibility for their mistake (deception?), but will probably lose in the long run by losing all consumer trust.  I understand that you are probably not calling the shots but this is bad bad business. No one should by buying frames from Haideli until they step up and take care of all of us who trusted them with our business.

darius72

« Reply #1097 on: December 17, 2021, 02:18:31 PM »
Any Haideli solution won't be cheap, even if they offer the rear triangle free of charge it will cost approx 100$ in shipping. JJJ fix is better on engineering side and cheaper; that's the  way to go. unless it turns out (I don t think so) that the 10 mm rear triangle eyelets are too weak and 14 mm is a must.

JJJ

FS830 Ripmo or Firebird?
« Reply #1098 on: December 18, 2021, 04:58:06 PM »
Hasn't it been around for a while though?  I remember looking at it a while ago, looks like it could be a nice ride but it is ugly like a Ripmo (fight me!)  It is probably the frame I should have bought.

Haideli sell them on Alibaba

I persist that it looks like a Firebird, yet an older version, like here. The links are arranged the same way, and the geometry is pretty close, with slight variations, such as a steeper seat tube (76°, closer to the latest Firebird version).

Might simply buy this one instead of a triangle upgrade. Looks like the links can't be botched as bad as on the 831...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 04:59:44 PM by JJJ »

sips56

« Reply #1099 on: December 21, 2021, 07:08:51 AM »
@JJJ what is the latest update on timing for the new pivot hardware?

Thanks,
Luke

JJJ

« Reply #1100 on: December 21, 2021, 08:48:14 AM »
@JJJ what is the latest update on timing for the new pivot hardware?

It was meant to be end January, I'll check again.

cybrsrce

Re: FS830 Ripmo or Firebird?
« Reply #1101 on: December 21, 2021, 02:01:28 PM »
Haideli sell them on Alibaba

I persist that it looks like a Firebird, yet an older version, like here. The links are arranged the same way, and the geometry is pretty close, with slight variations, such as a steeper seat tube (76°, closer to the latest Firebird version).

Might simply buy this one instead of a triangle upgrade. Looks like the links can't be botched as bad as on the 831...

Fair enough.  I might consider the FM1002 or even the FM1001 since they have a support member between the seat stays.  Not that it is a proven fix for the roll experienced with aggressive riding but I've never noticed an issue with a frame that had one.

The 831 was great while riding conservatively in slick/wet conditions this weekend. When you don't push it feels fine so I have hope that new rear will make it better at pace.

darius72

« Reply #1102 on: December 21, 2021, 02:16:56 PM »
At first I didn't pay attention to the flex issue, as my bike and many others here were fine, so I was thinking just about few defective ones.
After reading the great JJJ case study I also realize that the design is flawed and all frames potentially will show the flex issue.
JJJ fix is brilliant, Haideli one much less even if they invested in a new mold for rear triangle, obtaining the same result as JJJ on the upper link and maybe making it even worse on the lower; the triangle is beefier but this isn't necessary a good thing.
For sure the problem has to be solved on all frames, even the non flexing ones like mine: as haideli says carbon fiber is an anisotropic material (the paper sheet explanation); unexpected stress in unexpected direction can cause failure even with relatively low force; I would consider the frame dangerous without locking somehow the bearings in the recess.
The big question is if the old triangle section is strong enough after the bearings will be locked in place.
I am still positive that the fix will work and the bike will be a great bike as it is for now; for sure I don't want to invest 300$ in the new triangle or even worse 1000$ in the new haideli model.
We have to accept that we are beta testers of this frame, it's part of the fun too; just I hope at the end I will have a safe and reliable bike.
I am sure everybody isn't riding much due to winter season, but with the coming spring let's keep the community updated about possible failures or defects that this frame could bring.
Merry X-mas to all 831 team! 8)

Stef Biggel

« Reply #1103 on: December 22, 2021, 02:18:18 AM »
Hy Folks,
i had a nice talk to Eddy and the sellsman from Tideace.

In my case it was possible to stop the delivery of the AM 831 in the last minute. So they will send me a FS 830 Mold instead as soon as possible.
If i reach it, i will have a look on the Link and the bearings. Build it up as fast as possible, to give you a idea of is there some issues or not.

So long merry X-Mas and 've a good ride (currently hopfully more on Ski  ;D).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 02:21:13 AM by Stef Biggel »

JJJ

The FS830
« Reply #1104 on: December 22, 2021, 03:08:48 AM »
In my case it was possible to stop the delivery of the AM 831 in the last minute. So they will send me a FS 830 Mold instead as soon as possible.
If i reach it, i will have a look on the Link and the bearings. Build it up as fast as possible, to give you a idea of is there some issues or not.

I tried to look a the FS830 and asked for internal schematics. There could be an issue too. If you look at the pivots, there is a bolt on the left side, with the bolt head certainly pinching the inner race of a bearing fitted in the link eyelet. The bolt apparently goes right through and screws into a nut at the link eyelet on the right side, which nut probably pinches the inner race of a second bearing. Not sure how this works, because the link eyelet must be free to turn about the nut. In any case, both bearings are apparently pressed into the link eyelets from the left, meaning that they can't stop the link from moving to the right with respect to the frame.

Stef Biggel

« Reply #1105 on: December 22, 2021, 04:27:00 AM »
I have had bought a lot of shims  ;D. But Thank you a lot for you detailed eye on that.

JJJ

FS830 links
« Reply #1106 on: December 22, 2021, 05:09:16 AM »
I have had bought a lot of shims  ;D. But Thank you a lot for you detailed eye on that.

Shims won't fix that, if it's what I suspect...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 05:14:25 AM by JJJ »

Stef Biggel

« Reply #1107 on: December 22, 2021, 06:12:34 AM »
Ok, i understand. I will have a eye on it when I receive the frame, then we maybe will see if there is a issue.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 11:05:13 AM by Stef Biggel »

Stef Biggel

Deso

« Reply #1109 on: December 23, 2021, 12:45:24 AM »
Where can i find the instructions / details of the 'fix' You guys are talking about from JJJ?