Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 128169 times)

Eddy-haideli

Re: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!
« Reply #1125 on: December 24, 2021, 02:01:25 AM »
Merry Christmas.

threeathan

« Reply #1126 on: December 28, 2021, 05:21:01 AM »
Modified the megatower rear 3d printed mudguard to fit the frame. attached is the file for those still looking for a solution. Used zipties to tie it all together

Jal

« Reply #1127 on: December 28, 2021, 08:27:29 AM »
Great threeathan !! Looks good, thank you.
I need advice: I'm looking rear shocks to buy and start building the bike. I'm thinking in the Super Deluxe Ultimate, but I'm not sure if the normal version (with medium rebound and medium compression) or a specific version for Santa Cruz (with low rebound and low compression) will be better. I don't know if the suspension geometry of our frame is exactly the same as the Hightower or has different kinematics. Can anyone shed light on this matter? Weight 80kg (176Lb) without clothing.

cybrsrce

« Reply #1128 on: December 28, 2021, 09:49:20 AM »
I need advice: I'm looking rear shocks to buy and start building the bike. I'm thinking in the Super Deluxe Ultimate, but I'm not sure if the normal version (with medium rebound and medium compression) or a specific version for Santa Cruz (with low rebound and low compression) will be better. I don't know if the suspension geometry of our frame is exactly the same as the Hightower or has different kinematics. Can anyone shed light on this matter? Weight 80kg (176Lb) without clothing.

I have the M/M tune Super Deluxe Ultimate and I had a rough time getting it to an acceptable setup.  Standard can with enough psi for me to hit the low 30s in sag was like riding a hardtail.  Removed the 2 tokens that are installed from the factory, same sag, and it was still really stiff but linear - might be good for a sub 100kg rider.  Let it sag between 35-40% and it was hard to start, mid a little too soft, and stiff again at the end - oh and a pedal strike on every rotation.  Added MegNeg to try and get it to be more supple on the initial stroke and more mid support.  It works to a degree but it still isn't quite where I want it.  No bottom out issues like the L/L tune complaints of the Hightower so there is that.

Depends on what you ride, I'm looking for balance but mostly ground hugging traction and less pop and playfulness.  If your trails are more rock than dirt (like mine attached) it might take a lot of tinkering to strike a good balance.  I have some settings in my build thread for reference - http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3445.msg33138.html#msg33138

Beaux009

« Reply #1129 on: December 29, 2021, 05:41:44 PM »
Is there also of this version, a more xc trail oriented frame like the tallboy idee?

Jal

« Reply #1130 on: December 29, 2021, 09:27:47 PM »
Thank you for sharing your experience, cybrsrce, very useful. I'm still hesitating, but maybe I'm leaning towards the option of trying the Santa Cruz low/low version.
Beaux009, I do not know a similar one with less travel, let's see what others tell you.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #1131 on: December 29, 2021, 11:25:10 PM »
There are some complaints from SC owners about the stock Low tunes that come with their bikes but I suspect it will be better than the standard aftermarket Mediums.

When DVO’s new Topaz T3 with the sideways piggyback becomes available (or the Suntour TriAir equivalent which also has a sideways piggyback), that may be the ideal for this frame. The stock DVO tune is pretty close to most other companies’ Low tunes but a little more supportive and with a very tunable air spring curve.

threeathan

« Reply #1132 on: January 03, 2022, 06:03:40 AM »
Hi, has anyone found a way to quieten the rear cable routing hole through the rear triangle? I used foam for the front triangle so no rattling there, but on trails I can definitely hear the rear cables rattling around in the rear triangle since there are no rubber boots at the cable routing entry.

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #1133 on: January 03, 2022, 10:10:13 PM »
The holes on mine were fairly over sized and I was able to take an inch or so of black tubing and put a split lengthwise. Then slid it over the cable and pushed it into the hole, slice down. I think it was black aquarium air line tubing, but can find out the size if anyone wants. Can also probably take an old intertube and cut a piece and wrap around until it's the right size and push it all in. But will probably have to unhook the back end so you can pull about a half inch forward and push the entire wrapped section backwards.

Or get something like Sugru or even a blob of silicone caulk...

graved1gger

« Reply #1134 on: January 04, 2022, 02:05:44 PM »
One of the local guys just got the frame.
There is a noticeable lateral play in the lower link right out of the box.

Don't even know what say.
I mean, in total there are issues with upper linkage, lower linkage and rear triangle, lower linkage and front triangle...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 02:12:36 PM by graved1gger »

sips56

« Reply #1135 on: January 04, 2022, 03:22:30 PM »

I mean, in total there are issues with upper linkage, lower linkage and rear triangle, lower linkage and front triangle...

Are there metal shims between the link and the frame like in the original design.  What actually presses/tensions the two sides of the link to the frame now?

JJJ

« Reply #1136 on: January 04, 2022, 05:08:25 PM »

Yeah, that pivot between lower link and frame is not of great design (yet better than the pivots of the upper link), and the pivot in the new version between the lower link and the rear triangle is going to be the same, duh... In principle, if you tighten the bolt real hard, you could make the carbon flex to compensate the clearance, but that is difficult in that area, and you could crush the bearings if you go too far. In my frame, the shims fit pretty snugly, and there is no play. I suggest you add shims to the existing ones. The inner diameter is 12mm.

graved1gger

« Reply #1137 on: January 04, 2022, 10:10:00 PM »
That's not my frame but it is the first one locally, afaik. Usually when someone buys chinese frame some issues are expected, though there are quite a few different chinese XC frames around and I've never heard of so many issues with them as with 831.
We have a good mechanic who works with all kinds of stuff and this frame should be going directly to him for fixes and improvements. It would be interesting to hear what he thinks and how the build is going to go in general.

As for me, I'm waiting for more info on fs830, hope Eddy will come up with answers and photos.

Eddy-haideli

« Reply #1138 on: January 05, 2022, 12:41:22 AM »

As for me, I'm waiting for more info on fs830, hope Eddy will come up with answers and photos.
[/quote]

What kind information you need for FS830? Let's me know, thanks.

Eddy@haidelibicycle.com

graved1gger

« Reply #1139 on: January 05, 2022, 02:02:03 PM »

What kind information you need for FS830? Let's me know, thanks.

Eddy@haidelibicycle.com
The questions were asked in this thread http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3522.msg33222.html#msg33222
See that last post from JJJ and I'm pretty sure that it's not only me who would like to see detailed photos of pivots and linkages.
Thanks.