Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 128516 times)

Thrill21

Re: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!
« Reply #1215 on: February 20, 2022, 10:34:54 AM »
Exactly what I’m looking for, looking at the possible tyre, bb, headset and rear shock options. Thanks!

If your start reading on page 9 you will get your answers your looking for. I ended up using dpx 210x51 the body fits perfectly, I believe the frame does not accommodate a spring shock. 29x2.4 max tire width or you do start getting tire rub on the rear.  You'll need a Crown race spacer pr your fork will rub the down tube. but, again all information if you read through this forum.

colboy

« Reply #1216 on: February 20, 2022, 11:19:20 PM »
If your start reading on page 9 you will get your answers your looking for. I ended up using dpx 210x51 the body fits perfectly, I believe the frame does not accommodate a spring shock. 29x2.4 max tire width or you do start getting tire rub on the rear.  You'll need a Crown race spacer pr your fork will rub the down tube. but, again all information if you read through this forum.

Thank you, I have been asking around about the tire width and thanks for the info about the spacer.

promoto

« Reply #1217 on: March 02, 2022, 03:54:32 AM »
After around 50 trail miles I have had to park the 831 , The movement of the bearings in the seat stays has become excessive so for fear of making the bearing housing oval or enlarged I've stopped riding it until JJJ's bolts are ready or the replacement rear triangle turns up.
The few miles I have done so far have been very impressive , Once the rear shock was set up the rear gives that endless travel feeling and the ride is fantastic , Its definitely more at home at speed and descending , Really stable over jumps and high speed corners but not so good in slow twisty single track where it feels a bit big and clumsy . I have fitted the Meg neg air chamber to the Rockshox super delux shock that I'm using and whilst it transforms the ride performance on the back it has made pedal bob worse when climbing so for long climbs I use the lock out
Just thought I would leave a quik   update on my impressions of the frame so far

colboy

« Reply #1218 on: March 04, 2022, 08:48:10 PM »
After around 50 trail miles I have had to park the 831 , The movement of the bearings in the seat stays has become excessive so for fear of making the bearing housing oval or enlarged I've stopped riding it until JJJ's bolts are ready or the replacement rear triangle turns up.
The few miles I have done so far have been very impressive , Once the rear shock was set up the rear gives that endless travel feeling and the ride is fantastic , Its definitely more at home at speed and descending , Really stable over jumps and high speed corners but not so good in slow twisty single track where it feels a bit big and clumsy . I have fitted the Meg neg air chamber to the Rockshox super delux shock that I'm using and whilst it transforms the ride performance on the back it has made pedal bob worse when climbing so for long climbs I use the lock out
Just thought I would leave a quik   update on my impressions of the frame so far

What are JJJ bolts? mind sending a link?

promoto

« Reply #1219 on: March 05, 2022, 11:14:28 AM »
If you read back through the post all will be explained

darius72

« Reply #1220 on: March 09, 2022, 07:41:20 AM »
Just about shifting performance:  I have a 1x12 shimano with 51-10 cogs; the shifting performance is maybe average but not good and crispy; I`ve played with the "B" screw on derailleur but I can't align the marks: as stated in previous posts it looks like the derailleur hanger is wrong and no proper alignment is possible.
What is your experience?

Nekross32

« Reply #1221 on: March 09, 2022, 10:32:31 AM »
Just about shifting performance:  I have a 1x12 shimano with 51-10 cogs; the shifting performance is maybe average but not good and crispy; I`ve played with the "B" screw on derailleur but I can't align the marks: as stated in previous posts it looks like the derailleur hanger is wrong and no proper alignment is possible.
What is your experience?

Hey i have the same issue with my frame i ordered a couple of derrailer hangers to see if the issue gets fixed, seems to be a QA issue

darius72

« Reply #1222 on: March 09, 2022, 01:43:54 PM »
Hey i have the same issue with my frame i ordered a couple of derrailer hangers to see if the issue gets fixed, seems to be a QA issue

Where have you found compatible different hangers? Can you provide a link?
Thanx

BIGOIL

« Reply #1223 on: March 21, 2022, 07:10:15 AM »
Still possible, hurry. Details here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VllNnFhMycufNw3H4toELJPXWNQe-djAg7zDEYvuD0o/edit#gid=0

Hey if anyone picked up two pairs of the bolts and is looking to get rid of one please let me know, I missed getting on the list in time.

hagerd

« Reply #1224 on: March 21, 2022, 11:23:37 AM »
Hey if anyone picked up two pairs of the bolts and is looking to get rid of one please let me know, I missed getting on the list in time.

Its worth reaching out to JJJ, looks like there might be some stragglers not paying.

BIGOIL

« Reply #1225 on: March 22, 2022, 07:07:40 AM »
Its worth reaching out to JJJ, looks like there might be some stragglers not paying.

I reached out to JJJ first, he pointed me in the direction of group members that ordered multiple sets and may be willing to separate with one.

Thanks for Reply.

scourge

« Reply #1226 on: March 22, 2022, 11:22:57 AM »
I got my bolts in the mail from JJJ a few days ago. I was using the 3D printer spacers before getting these. I was pretty happy with the spacers' improvements. I  installed the bolts with washers, and gave the rear a shake. I can still get it to move, but it seems like even less than with the spacers.

Took it for an initial ride on Sunday. I'm very happy with them. I didn't really notice any rear end flex while riding. Not saying there is none now, but it wasn't noticeable to me. I am not the greatest rider and it was only one ride, but it so far so good. And I'm not a light rider at 265lbs.

I was more concerned about a creaking sound I have had since before winter. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the bottom bracket now. I'm still using the cheap provided one, but want to switch it out now. Will any BB92 bracket do? Or is there something special I need to look out for? Recommendations on a good one?

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #1227 on: March 22, 2022, 01:19:40 PM »
I got my bolts in the mail from JJJ a few days ago. I was using the 3D printer spacers before getting these. I was pretty happy with the spacers' improvements. I  installed the bolts with washers, and gave the rear a shake. I can still get it to move, but it seems like even less than with the spacers.

Took it for an initial ride on Sunday. I'm very happy with them. I didn't really notice any rear end flex while riding. Not saying there is none now, but it wasn't noticeable to me. I am not the greatest rider and it was only one ride, but it so far so good. And I'm not a light rider at 265lbs.

I was more concerned about a creaking sound I have had since before winter. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the bottom bracket now. I'm still using the cheap provided one, but want to switch it out now. Will any BB92 bracket do? Or is there something special I need to look out for? Recommendations on a good one?

Wheels Mfg thread-together is the only way to go IMHO.

Some have tried the ZTTO version but it comes with terrible bearings so you have to replace them, which brings the cost almost up to the same as Wheels Mfg — particularly if you have to get a press specifically for the task.

scourge

« Reply #1228 on: March 22, 2022, 01:46:25 PM »
That's the screw in press for one, right? Is it really better?

emu26

« Reply #1229 on: March 22, 2022, 02:57:12 PM »
Just be advised that the screw together Press Fit bottom brackets have thicker flanges on them than normal press fit. In most cases this won't be an issue but I have had an issue where the thicker flanges, making the overall width of the bb more, meant that the spindle from the crankset didn't engage into the crank arm far enough for the endcap to be able to be used properly. I always felt uncomfortable with the spindle being short in the arm so ended up swapping out BB's because of it.