Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 128642 times)

FullCarbonAlchemist

Re: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!
« Reply #1230 on: March 22, 2022, 04:48:07 PM »
That's the screw in press for one, right? Is it really better?

Functionally it may not make much difference, but in terms of preventing creaking, yes absolutely.

As Emu points out though, you may need to change the thickness of spacers you use with certain cranks to account for the flanges, and some cranks may have some issues fitting at all, but I know riders with RF Cinch and SRAM direct mount cranks that haven’t had any problems with the Wheels Mfg version. Two of the riders I’m thinking of had severe creaking before swapping and zero noise after.

JJJ

« Reply #1231 on: March 24, 2022, 03:48:24 AM »
Its worth reaching out to JJJ, looks like there might be some stragglers not paying.

Everyone paid now!

scourge

« Reply #1232 on: March 24, 2022, 04:11:07 PM »
Zero noise is what I'm going for.

colboy

« Reply #1233 on: March 26, 2022, 11:19:31 AM »
Hi, anyone here able to push their seat tube down? I can't seem to push it beyond the top tube. See pic

scourge

« Reply #1234 on: March 26, 2022, 03:51:59 PM »
Are you asking if we get the post inserted further?

Yes. Earlier in the thread many if us had this problem where it was catching on a lip in the seat tube. I had to file mine down. It took some work but I finally got it in all the way.

colboy

« Reply #1235 on: March 26, 2022, 06:42:42 PM »
Are you asking if we get the post inserted further?

Yes. Earlier in the thread many if us had this problem where it was catching on a lip in the seat tube. I had to file mine down. It took some work but I finally got it in all the way.

Yes, i meant seat post. Gotcha thanks.

JJJ

« Reply #1236 on: March 29, 2022, 09:53:49 AM »
For those of you seeking for information on the bolt upgrade for the V1 rear triangle, there is a new dedicated thread started by StefanB:
http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3622.0.html

scourge

« Reply #1237 on: March 29, 2022, 09:04:42 PM »
So it looks like it's not the bottom bracket causing the creaking sound. I redid the bolts at the upper part of the rear triangle. When I did I sat on the bike and heard the creak. When I did this the cranks were off the bike. So it looks like I'm totally wrong where the creak is coming from. I took a video of the creaking. Anyone know if we can post quick videos on here,?

scourge

« Reply #1238 on: March 29, 2022, 09:06:48 PM »
Video:   

scourge

« Reply #1239 on: March 29, 2022, 09:08:18 PM »
Hopefully that video works. Anyone have any idea what could be causing  this awful sound?

emu26

« Reply #1240 on: March 30, 2022, 01:49:28 AM »
I could be way off here but looking at how much your wheel still moves in that rear triangle and the fact that sounds to me more like something under tension rubbing against cf I would be looking really closely at the dropouts to make sure everything is tight and also aligned where it should be.  As I said, I could be way off and just going by experience with similar sounds on other bikes.

colboy

« Reply #1241 on: March 30, 2022, 07:56:54 AM »
Hi All, has anyone tried installing longer shock? just found a used fox float x2 for a good price but it's 215mm eye to eye.

Jal

« Reply #1242 on: March 30, 2022, 04:34:58 PM »
   Hello.

Scourge, sounds like two little noises at once to me... I don't know. I'd say it could be some lateral play or space between the lower link and either the front or rear triangle. You may have a washer misplaced, missing or that they do not fill the space sufficiently. Disassemble and go checking joint by joint moving it energetically in all directions.

The joint of the lower link with the rear triangle must be in this order from the inside (where the wheel is housed) to the outside:

· Screw head - lower link with its bearing installed - washer - rear triangle; so on both sides.

At the joint with the front triangle make sure you have a washer on each side between the lower link and the frame, resting on the inner race of each bearing.

It could also be the junction of the front triangle with the upper link; here it must be placed from the outside to the inside in this order:

· Screw head - upper link with its bearing installed - shaped washer with the narrow part facing the bearing (this
                        narrow part rests on the inner race of the bearing) - front triangle; also the same on both sides.

Another option is that the bushings of the the shock are not the correct size and leave some space.

If everything is placed correctly but there is some play somewhere, you should add some thin washers that fill the space, but without being tight, so as not to block free movement or force anything.

I hope I explained well.

scourge

« Reply #1243 on: March 30, 2022, 07:59:00 PM »
Thank you for the detailed response. I'm going to tackle it as soon as I can, but unfortunately I am starting five days on at work tomorrow.. it will be next week when I can really start searching for the source.

scourge

« Reply #1244 on: March 30, 2022, 09:33:30 PM »
Although you are mentioning some bearings I don't ever recall seeing at some of the pivots.