Author Topic: Difference in quality between ~600$ and ~1200$ frames?  (Read 5294 times)

jungian

Difference in quality between ~600$ and ~1200$ frames?
« on: March 12, 2021, 09:32:28 PM »
Looking to build up an aero frame and wondering what the difference in frame quality is between the frames of say the Velobuild VBR-099, or ICAN A9 versus Winspace or Yoeleo's aero frames? What am I getting for the extra money spent? Similar question applies to wheels but it seems like ~1k for a set is pretty standard.

Snacks

Re: Difference in quality between ~600$ and ~1200$ frames?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 10:30:58 PM »
I don't think you're getting anything more. They're probably trying to make it seem that a higher price translates to a better quality product but from the many testimonials on this site its pretty evident that most of these frames are very much the same.

I can personally attest to velobuild as I ride 2 of them. A little over 1k miles on my r099 and $350 55mm carbom wheels from CSC and still riding great. In a few clicks you can read similar stories with tantan, ican , Carbonda , dangfu etc.

I say find a frame that you like the geo of and if you stick to some of the more popular brands here you can't go wrong no matter the price.

FHS

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 01:37:02 AM »
Quality wise, I think the Tantan TT X21 frame I purchased for just north of 500 USD is pretty good. Im going to just sau its identical to the VB r099. But, it does have it's issues that showed up during the build. Nothing a first time bike  builder like myself couldnt eventually handle, but I can't imagine running into the same problems with a frame from a major name brand. I could be wrong, but I don't know that $500 more is going to mean you won't have the same issues.

I guess my question would be, what are you hoping to get for $500 more? I wanted a carbon framed aero road bike I could build myself, something faster and snappier than the aluminum framed endurance bike Id been riding, and well within my modest budget. Mission accomplished.

Matt_C

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 03:16:16 AM »
There is a chance that a $300 frame could be as good maybe even better than a $3000 frame but it is a really big gamble. With more expensive frames you don't just pay for the frame you pay for frame + quality control + warranty + plus communication etc. You are buying a service and a bike. Some more expensive frames offer better quality carbon which can make frames lighter. I thought this was the case with workswell until someone compared the weights of the exact same mould from velobuild and the weights were exact the same even though workswell charge $300 more. I think the sweet spot is around the $600-800 mark. Good quality with good communication warranty and returns if something goes wrong. Shit happens and carbon breaks even on the most expensive bikes, you just don't want to be left up shit creak without a paddle if it does.

Matt_C

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 03:23:28 AM »
I have bought 7 A9 frames from ICAN and I just keep going back for the level of finishing. Cable exit and entrance points are always clean and easy to route, no BB issues (so far), thru axles always aligned, etc. They do a quality check at the factory on each frame that lasts a few mins but it can save you months of annoying returns time if it wasn't done. I see lots of minor QC issues with tantan/seraph that I have never seen on one of my A9s but I am a small sample size. Tantan sell more frames than any other manufacturer so it is more likely for them to have more problems, it's a numbers game.

svanimpe

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 02:31:08 PM »
Looking to build up an aero frame and wondering what the difference in frame quality is between the frames of say the Velobuild VBR-099, or ICAN A9 versus Winspace or Yoeleo's aero frames? What am I getting for the extra money spent? Similar question applies to wheels but it seems like ~1k for a set is pretty standard.

The difference isn't in the frame quality I'm afraid. In the case of Yoeleo for example, they don't actually make any frames (see https://www.miraclecycling.com/ for example). What you're paying for is the brand, not the frame.

jungian

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 02:41:56 PM »
Thank you for all the replies, super insightful. Will sure to make a follow up post when the build is complete.

adriaanm

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 03:11:36 AM »
In the case of Yoeleo for example, they don't actually make any frames (see https://www.miraclecycling.com/ for example).
Interesting! I ordered an R11 from Yoeleo, aka -- apparently! -- the Miracle CR015...

How did you figure this out? Before ordering (on Dec 22 -- still waiting...), I did a lot of googling and geometry comparisons to find out who they are reselling for, but failed. I'm very curious how much cheaper it would be to buy direct from Miracle (I paid USD $1056, incl. handlebar, thru axles etc and shipping)

To stay on topic, my reason for buying from a brand is that they have more skin in the game than some anonymous reseller. Even if the same factory produces the frames, their quality will vary and some extra inspection before painting & shipping can save an expensive roundtrip back to china. Or maybe not...

carbonazza

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 02:30:14 AM »
To stay on topic, my reason for buying from a brand is that they have more skin in the game ...

This is an anguish tax  ;)
There are many named builders here that have as well their skin in the game.
With a more approximate English, and less or no shiny YouTube videos, and with reasonable prices.

adriaanm

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 05:21:04 AM »
Agreed, it's a tax I've chosen to pay. I'd say it's more about convenience than anguish, but hey ;)

I think I paid an additional 100 USD compared to e.g. Carbonda's CFR-1056 + integrated handlebar: someone said they paid 800 USD for the frame, painted & shipped. Add 150 USD for integrated handlebar (e.g. og-evkin on aliexpress) = 950 USD.

I'm ok with the extra cost, if only they'd ship the damn thing already  :'( (Or at least give me a straight answer on what's going on -- they said it was being painted a week before the CNY break).

zilcho

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 11:25:26 AM »
Agreed, it's a tax I've chosen to pay. I'd say it's more about convenience than anguish, but hey ;)

I think I paid an additional 100 USD compared to e.g. Carbonda's CFR-1056 + integrated handlebar: someone said they paid 800 USD for the frame, painted & shipped. Add 150 USD for integrated handlebar (e.g. og-evkin on aliexpress) = 950 USD.

I'm ok with the extra cost, if only they'd ship the damn thing already  :'( (Or at least give me a straight answer on what's going on -- they said it was being painted a week before the CNY break).

So you're saying its not actually more convenient and you aren't receiving a higher level of customer service?  Good thing they have a fancier website to accept your higher payment

adriaanm

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 01:16:54 PM »
Based on my experience so far, I would buy from them again.  I guess a lot of these resellers depend on the same factories and I’m sure those are all slammed right now, so I’m not surprised or upset about delays. Looking at other experience reports around here, the only vendor where you can track your order through the various production phases  is light bicycle.

My sales rep’s replies have been prompt and clear. They weren’t always able to answer my technical questions, though (e.g. the flat mount bolt length for the rear brake). I’m a bit worried about getting the right torque spec for the various bolts where it matters, to be honest. I haven’t asked yet.

jungian

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 01:22:12 PM »
Ended up ordering the Velobuild 186 and a set of 38's. Will post a review and thoughts on how it compares to my 2017 sworks tarmac disc. Hopefully there will be more parts available in the coming months.

Gowes

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 05:24:52 AM »
Anyone able to contact miracle bike? I didnt get any reply from them

BluCheese

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2021, 09:59:43 PM »
I contacted them via their aliexpress store very resposive there