Author Topic: Fully integrated rim brake frames.  (Read 1799 times)

Matt_C

Fully integrated rim brake frames.
« on: March 26, 2021, 07:16:10 AM »
I love my disc brake bike for every day riding but I am thinking of building up a 1x aero rocketship for crit racing on flat courses. I want to keep the sleek integration (no cables) of the disc bike with the aero and weight benefits of rim brakes. Some name brand models that fit this description are the Venge vias and rim brake Madone. Is anyone aware of any Chinese manufacturers that produce such a frame?

svanimpe

Matt_C

Re: Fully integrated rim brake frames.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 10:35:22 AM »
None of these frames have an integrated front brake.

svanimpe

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 01:07:33 PM »
Specialized claims their new disc brake bikes (Roubaix, Tarmac) are actually more aerodynamic than that old Venge, so maybe the integrated brakes didn't make much of a difference after all?
Personally, I just stay away from fully internal cables anyway, they're such a nightmare to work on.

Matt_C

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 04:55:06 PM »
It's hard to know what or who to believe. If I recall correctly discs might be more aero when the wind is completely straight on. When you actually take into account different yaw angles rim brakes are more aero. Hambini did a test and found his old look rim brake bike more aero than bikes like the Systemsix at high speeds (not sure if I trust these results either). The rim brake versions of bikes are usually about 500g lighter overall aswell which is a nice bonus. As for the pain of full integration I just love working on my bikes and I don't care how much a headache it is. I might start looking for a second hand madone frame.

carbonazza

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 12:51:29 AM »
Did you look at  Flybike's offering ?
http://www.flybike-asia.com/product/6/

Then ask Carbonda to get one.

svanimpe

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 01:33:16 PM »
Then ask Carbonda to get one.

Did you have positive results with that?
I tried it recently and the answer I got was that frames not yet offered by Carbonda themselves are either old designs, or proprietary moulds.

carbonazza

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 07:11:32 PM »
Maybe it depends, on the frame.

Another option...
PappaZ here tried to go direct to Flybike, arranged the shipping with WXY himself.
And happily got his frame.

https://chinertown.com/index.php?topic=3028.0

Did you have positive results with that?
I tried it recently and the answer I got was that frames not yet offered by Carbonda themselves are either old designs, or proprietary moulds.

Matt_C

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 12:31:12 PM »
Wow! Not sure how I feel about buying a replica though...