Author Topic: Ican S3 XC Frame  (Read 30966 times)

mtbluvr68

Re: Ican S3 XC Frame
« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2022, 06:22:28 PM »
I won't buy a frame that doesn't have BSA / T47.  Threaded is the only way to go. 
2021 Tan Tan Seraph FM027  w/Light Bicycle wheels(XC)
2022 Marin Rift Zone 3 w/ elite wheels (trail)
2021 Tideace FMR185 w/Light Bicycle Wheels (road)
2023  Chasing Wind w/ elite wheels (Gravel)

theirishrider

« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2022, 06:07:39 AM »
I won't buy a frame that doesn't have BSA / T47.  Threaded is the only way to go. 

From an engineering POV, a properly toleranced bb92/bb86 is better because it allows for a wider BB area. The issue is most manufacturers have POS QA and that causes excessive bb wear/creaking. My Carbonda fm936 has 0 bb creaks and a well-toleranced bb bore.

RDY

« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2022, 04:57:35 AM »
I'm very wary of threaded BBs on anything except steel frames.

Forum decided to delete two thirds of my post.  Can't be arsed to rewrite.  But TLDR:

IMO threaded is far more problematic than pf, and even if done perfectly it still represents a performance and design compromise over pf.  Other industries long ago abandoned thread fits. Cycle industry is just too cheap to pay a few dollars extra to get pf tolerances acceptable.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 05:39:32 AM by RDY »

Ben78

« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2022, 02:02:59 PM »
Just wanted to share, I've been riding my ICAN S3 for nearly 10 months, and have put a modest 1200km on it. This weekend just gone I entered a NSW Enduro series and decided to run the S3 rather than my S-Works Enduro - the particular course is very rocky off the top but transitions to flowy single track with berms and jumps, little else by way of technical features. Anyway, I took out P1 in my category and finished 17th overall from 110 participants.

I've ridden a lot of different bikes, and honestly this one has been the most fun I've ever had on a bike. If I could buy the exact same frame in 140mm travel I'd be all over it, I think then I'd sell my Enduro as it would be redundant! (for the courses I ride anyway).

dan_cx

« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2022, 07:34:35 PM »
@Ben78 how's the frame stiffness? Did you notice any flex/wiggle-wobble under hard corners, etc? Always hard to tell just how slender the frame really is/isn't, and how it will ride just by looking at pics.
SRAM Neutral Race Support Mechanic

FEGGE50

« Reply #110 on: March 02, 2022, 03:07:16 PM »
Just finished my 2022 Ican S3 build and have a few Urban rides on it (still fat bike season where I am and trails are ice and slush). So far this is pretty stiff and nimble but will know for sure in the next few weeks when trails open up.  I have to say Im impressed with the quality on this frame, it is my second ICAN (built up a SN04 fatty for my wife last year and she has over 2500 miles on some pretty rough terrain and it has been flawless).

Disassembled the frame to vinyl wrap it and pivots were all nice sealed bearings and fit was good so it all went back together well. Put pretty decent components on it, not all high end (XX1 drive w/Quarq power meter, carbon rims with I9 hubs, with One up seat post, carbon bars, and pedals).  Not the lightest XC bike since I went with some trail components for durability like the rims, SRAM G2 brakes, and a heavy power meter spider but seems to be in the 24-25lb range (on my cheap bathroom scale) and the frame didnt do me any favors. 

Think I am going to like it, I will report back after a few hundred miles this month.

Bammu

« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2022, 11:26:54 AM »
My bike build is now almost completed. I will still add some vinyl wrap details to match the golden brakes.
Based on short rides in the yard, it feels more stable than my XC bike.

endo.alley

« Reply #112 on: March 20, 2022, 03:05:18 PM »
What does the finished bike weigh in at? Ican shows it as just shy of 30 pounds. Could this be built light enough to do XC racing?

dan_cx

« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2022, 03:30:49 PM »
What does the finished bike weigh in at? Ican shows it as just shy of 30 pounds. Could this be built light enough to do XC racing?

Looking at Ican's build spec, the weight is mainly in the fork and tires. The Judy fork is a boat anchor... the upper stanchion tubes are straight-wall steel tubing, vs taper-wall, or an alloy tube. And the tires alone are nearly 1kg/2.2lbs each. The GX components are fairly light, so there's not much weight savings by switching to XO or XX (full disclosure: I work for SRAM, and I run GX. It's the best bang for the buck out there!) Going back to tires for a second, a Maxxis Ikon weighs significantly less than the Minion, so theoretically you could drop 1.5-2lbs there, and its rotational mass so the benefits would be greater than just dropping component weight. The Judy would be a good chunk of heft to get rid of as well. It weighs in at nearly 2.5lbs more than a SID. Also, keep in mind, you've got an extra set of pivots on the chainstays, which means you have bearings & hardware to account for in the overall weight. While the bike is virtually is identical to the Carbonda FM936 (probably both made on the same line), the 936 is a flex-stay rear end and will weigh less than an equal-sized S3 because of the lack of those pivots & related bits.

Honestly, if you're going the complete bike route, I'd swap tires to something lighter, then run it until time and $ allow for a fork upgrade. There's nothing wrong with the Judy as a set-n-forget fork. It works smoothly & without much fuss, so just run it till it's done.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 10:41:52 AM by dan_cx »
SRAM Neutral Race Support Mechanic

Ben78

« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2022, 02:59:51 PM »

Hi, my S3 hovers around 25-26lb, depending on the tyres. Eventually when I can buy a 34SC fork i should get to 24-25lb. Not super light, but is actually a fun ride. I had a full XC race bike before and whilst quick, it wasn't something I was happy to spend 3+ hours on.

Currently my component list is
Revelation Fork
Truvativ carbon bars
Magura MT Trail Brakes
Microshift Advent X 10 speed
SLX Crankset
FOX DPS Factory shock (165x45)
Dropper OneUp 180mm
Saddle Giant Contact SLR Forward (Carbon, 173g)
CarbonBeam 30x30 front and 34x23 rear with Venfort Pro4 hubs (DT Clone) and Pillar TB2018 3B spokes (XC)
DT Swiss XM481 with Venfort Pro4 hubs and Pillar TB2018 spokes (Enduro, currently waiting delivery of hubs)
Front tyre Specialized Ground Control Grid 2.35 (XC)
Rear tyre Specialized Fast Trak Control 2.3 (XC)
Front Tyre Pirelli Trail S 2.4 (Enduro)
Rear Tyre Maxxis Aggressor 2.3 (Enduro)

Ben78

« Reply #115 on: March 28, 2022, 03:01:19 PM »
@Ben78 how's the frame stiffness? Did you notice any flex/wiggle-wobble under hard corners, etc? Always hard to tell just how slender the frame really is/isn't, and how it will ride just by looking at pics.

I don't notice any flex, but I'd be interested in trying to get some slow motion video to see if I can see it moving around. But then, if I don't notice it, does it matter?

endo.alley

« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2022, 03:07:10 PM »
the FM936 and the FM909 are also bikes I am looking at for xc racing. Maybe a little lighter. But also the might be flexy in the rear. Since the stays are flex stays.

HAYDENBRO

« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2022, 10:57:49 AM »
Ordered my XL yesterday.  Doing a budget XC build. Sitting at 2500 bucks CAD with everything in. When the frame arrives and I get it built up I’ll post some photos.

Fork Judy Gold RL 120
Shock Suntour Duair RL
Wheels Brand X trail wheelset * nukeproof ard
Tires Frt Nobby Nic rear Racing Ralph
Crank: sram sx eagle 34 dub
Dt: deore 12 speed
Brake: deore 2 pot
Bars: Nukeproof Horizon v2 780
Stem: zitto green 35 mm
Dropper: limotec alpha 1
Grips: ESI Chunky Monkey Green

Weight : 29 ish pounds.

southernorth

« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2022, 12:03:22 PM »
Has anyone from the UK ordered one of these frames? How long was delivery

HAYDENBRO

« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2022, 07:03:18 AM »
Has anyone from the UK ordered one of these frames? How long was delivery

Took 6 days to Canada can’t imagine it taking longer if they have stock unless UK customs are as brutal as all the other rules/regs there.