Author Topic: Ican S3 XC Frame  (Read 30944 times)

Ben78

Re: Ican S3 XC Frame
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2021, 11:38:46 PM »
I received the new chainstay today. 4 weeks after they agreed to replace, this did come on EMS though rather than DHL that the original frame came on - which is a large part of that.

The area where mine cracked appears to have slightly different shape, so I wonder if they have expereinced some problems, or if it is normal variance in parts.

emu26

« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2021, 11:40:44 PM »
That's good to hear Ben. Any chance you can post a pic of the new one so we can compare to the old?

Wahl

« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2021, 03:13:20 AM »
Wondering if this might be the new bike for me, looks like it can fit my riding pretty good.
 But I can't decide what size I should go for, any suggestions and tips?
I am 186cm long and inner-leg is 92 cm.

Wahl

« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2021, 02:16:46 AM »
What parts is included in the box?

Anyone know how much shipping to Europe is (Sweden)?

Ben78

« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2021, 03:18:49 PM »
What parts is included in the box?

Anyone know how much shipping to Europe is (Sweden)?

I paid $1335aud delivered, and that is about $835 euro. Australia is closer to the factory, but there is probably better freight deals to Europe so who knows. It shipped on DHL.

In the box was the frame (assembled) and a small box with headset, seat clamp, rear axle. I asked for a spare derailleur hanger which was included at no additional cost. I had to buy a bottom bracket.

As for sizing, your height would push you into XL territory, but the way bikes are nowadays you really should consider your riding style as well. Prior to me buying the ican my son and I both had identical merida 96 in med and large. They were completely different in terms of riding experience to me. The medium accelerated faster and was much twitchier, but I could maneuver it a lot faster. The bigger bike was a lot more stable but slower handling.

Wahl

« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2021, 02:54:33 AM »
I paid $1335aud delivered, and that is about $835 euro. Australia is closer to the factory, but there is probably better freight deals to Europe so who knows. It shipped on DHL.

In the box was the frame (assembled) and a small box with headset, seat clamp, rear axle. I asked for a spare derailleur hanger which was included at no additional cost. I had to buy a bottom bracket.

As for sizing, your height would push you into XL territory, but the way bikes are nowadays you really should consider your riding style as well. Prior to me buying the ican my son and I both had identical merida 96 in med and large. They were completely different in terms of riding experience to me. The medium accelerated faster and was much twitchier, but I could maneuver it a lot faster. The bigger bike was a lot more stable but slower handling.

Great information. Thank you very much!

Mayby I should go for a XL then. Have to think about it a little more.

Ben78

« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2021, 03:24:05 PM »
Was in the bike shop today because I broke my full face racing on the weekend and wanted to make sure I could get a replacement before the next race and they had a OneUp 180mm dropper on the shelf. So I bought that too and replaced the Bontrager 150mm that was on the bike. The OneUp had the exact same insertion length and slightly lower stack height. Fits perfectly and so now I have a 180mm dropper, just for info if anyone on a large and is 6' was interested in knowing.

Liter

« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2021, 09:50:47 AM »
I´m 1.80 should I got for the M or L, does it have internal cabling for a dropper post? Does the frame come with the headset included? Also if I buy a trunnion shock do I need to by anything else to install or they ship the bushings with the frame?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 10:19:02 AM by Liter »

Ben78

« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2021, 01:50:14 AM »
I'm 1.82 and got L, but it depends on the reach you would prefer.
Yes, it has internal dropper routing.
Frame came with headset
You'll need a bushing set for your shock. Off the top of my head, mine took 30mm

Liter

« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2021, 04:00:22 PM »
I'm 1.82 and got L, but it depends on the reach you would prefer.
Yes, it has internal dropper routing.
Frame came with headset
You'll need a bushing set for your shock. Off the top of my head, mine took 30mm

Thanks, I think I will go with the FM936 considering they ship with a fork and for a better price.

Ben78

« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2021, 03:39:07 PM »
Thanks, I think I will go with the FM936 considering they ship with a fork and for a better price.

Might want to confirm that, when I was looking at them they offered a rear shock, at a reasonable additional cost. I know their product imagery shows a fork fitted but not necessarily included.

Ben78

« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2021, 03:45:08 PM »
Further update,

I've finally been able to get my hands on a proper trunnion mount shock (Fox DPS Factory damn!!!)
Can confirm that a 165x45 fits and cycles cleanly with plenty of rear arch clearance as previously confirmed in this thread.

• I really need to work on a paint job for it.
  • Still sitting on a hacked RS Revelation out the front, I don't like it. My old Reba was plush, my Lyrik is plush, this revelation is harsh, blows through its travel and is just unfun. Once I can get a 34SC I think that will get it there.
  • Change the DT trail rim out back for a carbon rim. Just waiting for CarbonBeam to have a sale again to pick up one of theirs.

Ben78

« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2021, 08:13:35 PM »
Little bit of an update to my cracked chain stay. I did receive my replacement from ican but I've continued to use the cracked one to see what happens. Cracking grew a little but has then held steady. I recently destroyed a chain ring so whilst I had the crank off I did some exploratory sanding. Interestingly it would appear there was a layup fault that had been "fixed" with fibre filler. I think the filler has cracked not the carbon.

I'll purchase some ud tape and epoxy and see how I go for effecting a repair.

Hayek

« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2021, 07:56:04 PM »
I’ve finally finished building mine up and have had a chance to put around 200 miles and 30,000’ of climbing/descending on it. Decided to run 45mm stroke on the rear shock to give me ~112mm rear travel with a 120mm fork and it rides great. Mine came in at 23.5# as pictured. My previous XC bike was a hardtail so I can’t say what a “good” XC suspension platform feels like in comparison, but I’ve felt like it offers plenty of pedaling support while remaining active enough to make trail riding fun. Overall, really happy with the bike. It’s been a blast.

neilether

« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2021, 10:56:01 AM »
I'm jumping on the bandwagon!  It was a difficult choice between this and the Carbonda FM936, but have decided to go this route.  I'm really looking forward to getting it built up. 

Quick question.  When I landed on the iCan website from my phone the other day, a 5% off coupon code popped up.  It indicated that it would be emailed to be, but I have not seen it (even in my spam folder).  Does anybody happen to know what this code is?