Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-177  (Read 57468 times)

s3si1u

Re: Velobuild VB-R-177
« Reply #210 on: June 14, 2022, 09:14:05 PM »
Do you have any pictures of the closest points to frame rub?

Thanks!

Here you go! I tried to get all the angles.
Upon closer inspection, maybe a 30mm tire may be cutting it close, what do y'all think?

I'm pretty happy with these tires. If anything, I might be looking to go a bit narrower in the future.

patliean1

« Reply #211 on: June 14, 2022, 09:16:19 PM »
Interesting that VeloBuild advertises that 32c tires can fit. I tried again fitting slick road tires that are label as "30/32" and absolutely no way they are fitting.

s3si1u

« Reply #212 on: June 15, 2022, 03:09:24 AM »
Just measured my front tire with calipers and it sits at 31.8mm exactly. Agreed that a tire that says 700x32c on it likely won't fit, but a true 32mm inflated tire should fit just fine. I'm pretty sure this is what Velobuild advertises (32mm tire clearance, not 700x32c tire clearance) and at least on my frame, this is very much accurate.
Instagram: @aerosloth

elmtree

« Reply #213 on: June 15, 2022, 05:34:20 AM »
Here you go! I tried to get all the angles.
Upon closer inspection, maybe a 30mm tire may be cutting it close, what do y'all think?

I'm pretty happy with these tires. If anything, I might be looking to go a bit narrower in the future.

Thanks for the pics! That's probably the closest I'd cut it. Maybe the 177 isn't right for me. I was hoping for 32s. I wonder if the 168 can actually fit em

pearl

« Reply #214 on: June 15, 2022, 01:07:48 PM »
Thanks for the photos! My 30mm Rubino Pros were maybe a little closer than those, but I agree, that would be "safe" in my standards!

Trying to find a good training tire that wont break the bank, good flat protection, last a while, etc. I'll save my fancy wheels for the go fast days  8)

slosada

« Reply #215 on: June 15, 2022, 02:20:20 PM »
I'm sorry to post this here but I can't continue enjoying my Velobuild bike since the rear wheel (not the tire) blew in a downhill at 55KPH. I managed to save it since I was already on the brakes and it was straight line.

Bike and wheels have only been used for 350Kms on asphalt (I'm around 85Kg these days, and use 90PSI)

The wheelset was also built by Velobuild, so no, I cannot recommend them

Not only I'm concerned about the front wheel that is still there and a catastrophic failure won't be as easy to handle.

WARRANTY?
Furthermore, This happened 10 days ago, I collected the pictures and send them to Velobuild, they said it was caused by an accident that never happened (the bike is in pristine condition and I sent pictures from both sides).
If you check the pictures, the cracks start at the nipples.

After 8 days and more pictures and silence radio, they don't honor any sort of warranty... They are barely offering half price on a rim (same "quality" plus I'd need to build it/get it built).

I'm bewildered: Half price of a rim vs the chances for me to die/go to the hospital.

So Velobuild, is adding to the poor rim quality or wheel construction, an abysmal after sales service.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 04:53:09 PM by slosada »

Jwzard

« Reply #216 on: June 16, 2022, 12:20:57 PM »
How about the bb tolerances on this frame? Any creaking with bb86 installed?

pearl

« Reply #217 on: June 16, 2022, 02:49:31 PM »
@slosada I hope this gets resolved, but I think you'd be better off starting your own thread with your experiences.

My bb86 to GXP has not creaked at all. I only have 158 miles on mine, so take that with a grain of salt if you want, but I would say its A+.

patliean1

« Reply #218 on: June 16, 2022, 03:01:01 PM »

I run a Wheels MFG threaded BB86 bottom bracket. No creaking.

slosada

« Reply #219 on: June 16, 2022, 03:26:44 PM »
@slosada I hope this gets resolved, but I think you'd be better off starting your own thread with your experiences.

My bb86 to GXP has not creaked at all. I only have 158 miles on mine, so take that with a grain of salt if you want, but I would say its A+.
I agree with you but, since I had participated exclusively in this thread, I thought it would be good to keep all together.
But yeah, I will open a thread.

I find no pleasure claiming a warranty, less so bashing a company from which I still have the frame and parts.
Also, there must be a lesson learned for all: Don't take the quality and warranty for granted

RDY

« Reply #220 on: June 16, 2022, 04:43:31 PM »
I agree with you but, since I had participated exclusively in this thread, I thought it would be good to keep all together.

I find no pleasure claiming a warranty, less so bashing a company from which I still have the frame and parts.
Also, there must be a lesson learned for all: Don't take the quality and warranty for granted

You're using GP5000 TL ... are you running them with tube or tubeless?  If tubeless, 90PSI is a really bad idea and can contribute to this kind of failure.

jaclipse

« Reply #221 on: June 16, 2022, 06:12:25 PM »

Maybe give some more info so we can make our own conclusions.
Is the rim hookless?
What version GP5000 are you using? Is it hookless compatible?
Are you running tubes or tubeless?

patliean1

« Reply #222 on: June 16, 2022, 07:06:15 PM »
Would be great if that new thread could be created…

s3si1u

« Reply #223 on: June 16, 2022, 07:18:03 PM »

I use a standard Ultegra BB86 (BB72-41? Something like that). I’m not one to really track every mile I ride but I’ve probably averaged about 75-100 a week since January and have no issues to report.

slosada

« Reply #224 on: June 16, 2022, 07:31:38 PM »
You're using GP5000 TL ... are you running them with tube or tubeless?  If tubeless, 90PSI is a really bad idea and can contribute to this kind of failure.
I have/had tubes in them.
90PSI is exactly what my current weight requires, when I select "mid range tire with butyl tubes" and worn pavement. If I pick high performance casing tubeless (which GP5000 TL most likely is), it says 95.5PSI

Pressure is prob. not the reason: For once I have ridden in warmer days and for longer.  This happened after 86Kms, not at the beginning. I use 90PSI tubeless in my other bike.

Rims were ordered tubeless.

To the other poster, they are hooked.