Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-177  (Read 57688 times)

MovinMamba

Re: Velobuild VB-R-177
« Reply #285 on: November 12, 2022, 06:32:54 AM »
did you put the spacer on as well?

I don think so. I believe the BB came with one spacer? Is this supposed to go on the crank side? Sorry for the questions. Big newbie.

carbonazza

« Reply #286 on: November 12, 2022, 12:50:18 PM »
Not sure if you are with a SRAM DUB BB but here is a document that explains spacer details for road and MTB
https://www.sram.com/globalassets/document-hierarchy/user-manuals/sram-mtb/drivetrain/dub-mtb-and-road-cranksets-and-bottom-brackets-user-manual.pdf

MovinMamba

« Reply #287 on: November 12, 2022, 02:27:47 PM »

thanks you guys really helped managed to fit the crank normally and it woeks now. Now im just trying to figure out if i can run these 28mm tires on this frame? anyone else with super tight clearances? is this normal?

RDY

« Reply #288 on: November 12, 2022, 03:01:22 PM »

thanks you guys really helped managed to fit the crank normally and it woeks now. Now im just trying to figure out if i can run these 28mm tires on this frame? anyone else with super tight clearances? is this normal?

Definitely something wrong if those are 28s ... frame is supposed to fit 32s, some people have fit CX33s and I seem to recall there've been a few 34s.  So unless you're running super wide MTB rims, something isn't right.

MovinMamba

« Reply #289 on: November 12, 2022, 04:40:22 PM »
Definitely something wrong if those are 28s ... frame is supposed to fit 32s, some people have fit CX33s and I seem to recall there've been a few 34s.  So unless you're running super wide MTB rims, something isn't right.
These are winspace wheels, d45 and schwalbe tyres… 28mm, i dont get how its so different from what others have been saying… makes no sense

pearl

« Reply #290 on: November 13, 2022, 06:42:20 PM »
The 28s may be wider on that rim. Bust out the calipers.

MovinMamba

« Reply #291 on: November 14, 2022, 04:41:39 PM »
Slowly getting there, what do you guys think? Should be enough clearance right? Also i ordered the wrong casette because turns out I have a shortcage derailleur that goes for a 10-33, luckily for me I ordered a 10-34 casette so thats getting replaced.

patliean1

« Reply #292 on: November 14, 2022, 04:45:03 PM »
What was your solution regarding using crank spacers with your SRAM rival/DUB crankset?

I have a spare SRAM eTap groupset that I’m considering putting on my 177.

slow_poke11

« Reply #293 on: November 14, 2022, 06:04:31 PM »
Slowly getting there, what do you guys think? Should be enough clearance right?

That looks better than your previous photo.  The first looked like 2mm clearance. This looks more like 8mm.  Are they the same 28mm tyres?  If so, what did you change?

hazzer19

« Reply #294 on: November 14, 2022, 11:25:05 PM »
Slowly getting there, what do you guys think? Should be enough clearance right? Also i ordered the wrong casette because turns out I have a shortcage derailleur that goes for a 10-33, luckily for me I ordered a 10-34 casette so thats getting replaced.

Ohhh this build is gonna look good with all the parts so far!!

MovinMamba

« Reply #295 on: November 15, 2022, 01:42:29 AM »

That looks better than your previous photo.  The first looked like 2mm clearance. This looks more like 8mm.  Are they the same 28mm tyres?  If so, what did you change?

i changed the angle of the picture hahahaha did the trick

the dub bb works, not the smoothst bb compared to my other bike which has a bb30 but hey. there should be enough clearance from the frame but i do think that dub wide and wide cranks might fit this frame slightly better than what i got. also mounting the front derailler was super annoying with the braze on for some reason. getting it aligned was near impossible

Liter

« Reply #296 on: November 18, 2022, 10:20:27 AM »
I think the 177 might be VeloBuild's best frameset offering:

-Sub 1000g painted without derailleur hanger, braze on, or plastic grommets.
-T1000 carbon, lighter yet stiffer than T700/800.
-EPS molding.
-Traditional seatpost.
-(Subjectively) classic frame design.
-Stiff enough for climbing, while the seatpost offers compliancy.

My size Medium frame with Farsports Ventoux C4 wheels comes in at 7.3kg without pedals. And if I were to swap those out for my set of Elite Drive 45D w/ latex tubes I could easily get the bike down to 7.1kg - Crazy to think a $500 frame with a hydraulic disc groupset could be that lightweight.

Few things keeping the 177 from being perfect, that I'd like to see VeloBuild sort out. But for $500 I know they wont:
-Redesigning and/or relocating on the front derailleur opening/cable stop.
-Redesigning the stem and top cap for the separate stem/bar combo option.
-Redesigning the saddle rail clamp. There's no easy or logical method to tightening top bolt for the clamp if your saddle does not have cut away/hole/pressure relief channel.

I suspect that even as new designs get released from major brands, which VeloBuild will inevitably copy, VeloBuild will always have a market for the 177.

How did you get the bike so light? I´m running Elite wheels with DT240 hubs, Ultegra R8000, GP5000TL 28 Tires and the bike is around 8.3KG

I do think the mechanic went overboard with sealant, might be able to drop 100g there

patliean1

« Reply #297 on: November 18, 2022, 01:44:28 PM »
How did you get the bike so light?

Frame w/ paint is less than 1000g - In retrospect I should have ordered an unpainted raw carbon frame.
Elite Drive 45D wheels are 1288g
OG Evkin carbon stem is 122g
Fully carbon saddle, no padding is 100g
Latex tubes...you get the point.

Keep in mind weight is without bottle cages, pedals, or wahoo mount.
I'm also considering going 1x - Removing the front derailleur, small chainring, and shifting cable should drop the weight another 150g.

One of my primary bikes now is the latest Allez Sprint fitted with SRAM Force eTap. It's crazy how much lighter the Ultegra R8020 groupset is on my VB-177 (hydro brake/mechanical shifting) compared to eTap.

Liter

« Reply #298 on: November 18, 2022, 02:29:46 PM »
Frame w/ paint is less than 1000g - In retrospect I should have ordered an unpainted raw carbon frame.
Elite Drive 45D wheels are 1288g
OG Evkin carbon stem is 122g
Fully carbon saddle, no padding is 100g
Latex tubes...you get the point.

Keep in mind weight is without bottle cages, pedals, or wahoo mount.
I'm also considering going 1x - Removing the front derailleur, small chainring, and shifting cable should drop the weight another 150g.

One of my primary bikes now is the latest Allez Sprint fitted with SRAM Force eTap. It's crazy how much lighter the Ultegra R8020 groupset is on my VB-177 (hydro brake/mechanical shifting) compared to eTap.

Elite Drive weight is damn impressive! Now that makes sense. I also weighted my bike again with a new scale and its showing 8.135G.
If I change my K7 to Dura Ace and use less sealant I could probably get it under 8KG and a tire change would also save me some 100g.

For the price we paid its a very good weight for a disc bike.

MovinMamba

« Reply #299 on: November 25, 2022, 11:51:33 AM »
So here it is people.. SRAM Force / Rival mix, weighing in as seen here at 8.2kg... without pedals and garmin accessories its around 7.9 which is still 1kg lighter than my older specialized allez disc from 2020. Might be able to shave off another 100-200g if I hadnt overdone it with the sealant and gotten lighter tires. Possibly could lose some weight by cutting the seat tube to length as well and maybe even cutting the fork a bit more, but so far very happy with it. SRAM is definitely a different experience to my 105, not sure which i like more honestly.