Author Topic: Best "Downcountry" 120ish-mm Frame for Long Climbs and Rough Downhills  (Read 5074 times)

tinecelmare

I hate buzzwords, but it's what I'm looking for. Ideally 120mm frame for a lightweight build as this will be a dedicated high mountain bike for long climbs. However I want to be able to descend the roughest terrain (but of course not at the speed of a true enduro bike). Planning on running a Fox 34 Stepcast in 120mm. Would like 66* HA.

Something in the realm of a Transition Spur or Santa Cruz Tallboy. I've been eying the Carbonda fm936, but I just don't trust the single pivot design for the rugged downhills - it just seems too fragile of a system.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 05:50:00 PM by tinecelmare »

theirishrider

Love my FM936. How much do you weigh?

tinecelmare

I'm 155lbs. Also important are the rocky and rooted out 2-3 mile downhills that many people shuttle to the top and come down on enduro bikes.

wfl3

I'm 10lbs heavier and the superlight FM936 has held up well for me.

Did a race in NC with similar characteristics as you mentioned, 8 mile climb in the middle plus to more extended climbs, some rough longer downhill, the last - Mid Black was really eroded out and I was a bit outside my comfort zone there (particularly with my brakes fading by that point), but the dropper & slack geo kept me upright.

The enduro guys killed me on a couple of the gnarlier descents, but having a 22lb bike on the climbs meant I was long gone before they got there.  ;-) 

The Transition Spur is a single pivot frame as well right, but with a little more travel?

If I was buying now I'd probably opt for the FM909, mainly because I could go large and still get a 125-150 dropper in it.  The seat tube on the FM936 was a bit too long for me to go large.  2 water bottle mounts in the front triangle would be a plus for me as well.

ilyamaksimov

the transit spur has exactly the same single-pivot suspension as the fm936 ;)

and yes, fm936 is a great frame

tinecelmare

I'm 10lbs heavier and the superlight FM936 has held up well for me.

Did a race in NC with similar characteristics as you mentioned, 8 mile climb in the middle plus to more extended climbs, some rough longer downhill, the last - Mid Black was really eroded out and I was a bit outside my comfort zone there (particularly with my brakes fading by that point), but the dropper & slack geo kept me upright.

The enduro guys killed me on a couple of the gnarlier descents, but having a 22lb bike on the climbs meant I was long gone before they got there.  ;-) 

The Transition Spur is a single pivot frame as well right, but with a little more travel?

If I was buying now I'd probably opt for the FM909, mainly because I could go large and still get a 125-150 dropper in it.  The seat tube on the FM936 was a bit too long for me to go large.  2 water bottle mounts in the front triangle would be a plus for me as well.

Are you talking about Pisgah area in NC?

Good point on the single pivot Spur - I didn't realize that! I looked at the FM909 but wanted a 120mm frame - 936 seems to allow.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 08:15:24 AM by tinecelmare »

wfl3

Yes, Pisgah area of NC.  My East Coast MTB mecca   :-)

This bike with a 120mm works really well in that area for all but the nastiest descents and that's probably more on me than the bike. 

scourge

Would the FM936 work for heavy riders? Or is it more for leaner guys?

RobertRinAustin

Would the FM936 work for heavy riders? Or is it more for leaner guys?
I'm 205 on a 936 and have no complaints. My build is 24.5 pounds and I really enjoy it. Handles the roots, rock gardens and short steeps in my area really well. I'll put it to the test this summer in the Rockies to get a better idea of how it handles the longer steep stuff.

theirishrider

I'm 70kg and have no issues with it. It's not a full 130mm trail bike, but it's not designed to be that, although it is very capable! I'm grateful for it's sub 12kg weight on the long climbs for sure!

mtbluvr68

Re: Best "Downcountry" 120ish-mm Frame for Long Climbs and Rough Downhills
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2021, 06:51:44 PM »
I thought the FM936 would only accept a 165X42.5 shock which is 115 mm of travel? 
2021 Tan Tan Seraph FM027  w/Light Bicycle wheels(XC)
2022 Marin Rift Zone 3 w/ elite wheels (trail)
2021 Tideace FMR185 w/Light Bicycle Wheels (road)
2023  Chasing Wind w/ elite wheels (Gravel)

Jotegr

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2021, 08:19:59 PM »
I thought the FM936 would only accept a 165X42.5 shock which is 115 mm of travel?

Surveying the thread says that some users are OK with 42.5 and it rubs for others at bottom out. From what I recall x40 and the imperial x38 are more common/reliable/recommended by the manufacturer

ChinerDetroit

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 08:14:12 AM »
i'm building two winow FS030.  It is designed for the 120mm travel you asked for.  Waiting on the frames to arrive.  http://www.winowsports.com/product/XC-Full-suspension-mtb-frame-FS030.html 

Zdrenka89

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2021, 02:42:02 AM »
Love my FM936

This is with the 165x42,5 shock which 'only' gives 107mm of rear travel (not 115mm - since it is impossible with a 2.5 travel ratio). For me it fits a 200mm dropper for the steeps. No problems so far.
I'm 91kg/200lb and 191cm/6'3"

If you need more descending capability I would also take a look at Carbondas FM1001. It'll cost you 350-400g more but it does give a 65.5deg HA and that rear triangle pivot.
Its rare to find a rear triangle pivot on downcountry focused bikes. Even the Transition Spur you mention doesnt have one - i'm pretty sure its fine without if engineered correctly (which the FM936 seems to be)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 02:47:17 AM by Zdrenka89 »

Notyetman

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2022, 07:42:06 PM »
Love my FM936

This is with the 165x42,5 shock which 'only' gives 107mm of rear travel (not 115mm - since it is impossible with a 2.5 travel ratio). For me it fits a 200mm dropper for the steeps. No problems so far.
I'm 91kg/200lb and 191cm/6'3"

If you need more descending capability I would also take a look at Carbondas FM1001. It'll cost you 350-400g more but it does give a 65.5deg HA and that rear triangle pivot.
Its rare to find a rear triangle pivot on downcountry focused bikes. Even the Transition Spur you mention doesnt have one - i'm pretty sure its fine without if engineered correctly (which the FM936 seems to be)

So which is it? Does the FM936 gets 107mm or 115mm travel in rear for a 42.5 shock? I'm reading both.