Author Topic: Enduro Frame FS830 - Leverage ratio, Mistake?  (Read 1371 times)

Purple

Enduro Frame FS830 - Leverage ratio, Mistake?
« on: April 11, 2021, 05:49:12 AM »
Hi All

Just crunching the numbers on the FS830 for the suspension characteristics and getting a strange leverage ratio.  I'm guessing I've made a mistake somewhere. (First time I've done this)

If anyone has access to linkage or any of your other suspension design software I'm happy to share the details I have.

The reason I've to think I've made a mistake is the frame is clearly inspired by the pivot firebird, I've overlaid the photo of the firebird and the pivot points appear to be in the same position, however, the leverage ratio is completely different.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 04:28:03 AM by Laurenncet »

Purple

Re: Enduro Frame FS830 - Leverage ratio, Mistake?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 04:27:21 AM »
I paid for linkage and  It's spot on.. Not sure where I made the mistake

definitely recommend, if you want to check what you are buying.
Here are the correct graphs
https://bikechecker.com/

mtbluvr68

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 10:22:37 AM »
Pivot Bikes use a dw link which changes the ratios.  This bike uses a single pivot at the seatstay.  There is that usesless pivot at the hanger, i'd prefer a flexible chainstay. 
2021 Tan Tan Seraph FM027  w/Light Bicycle wheels(XC)
2022 Marin Rift Zone 3 w/ elite wheels (trail)
2021 Tideace FMR185 w/Light Bicycle Wheels (road)
2023  Chasing Wind w/ elite wheels (Gravel)

Purple

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 10:48:11 AM »
Pivot Bikes use a dw link which changes the ratios.  This bike uses a single pivot at the seatstay.  There is that useless pivot at the hanger, i'd prefer a flexible chainstay.

Pivot has a switch chip, that allows two different geometry but both bikes use a 4 pivot horst linkage system, allows for the rear wheel to come back when you hit big rocks.   They have also worked hard with the leverage ratio to even out an air spring shck allowing the initial travel to be softer.

By flexible pivots do you mean like in the picture, There great if you're on a super light cycle cross, down a country lane, but if your hammering through a rock garden or just cased a big jump a little extra travel is nice.   A bit like comparing a mars bar to a can of coke, both have their place.

endo.alley

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 05:54:48 PM »
Pivot has a switch chip, that allows two different geometry but both bikes use a 4 pivot horst linkage system, allows for the rear wheel to come back when you hit big rocks.   They have also worked hard with the leverage ratio to even out an air spring shck allowing the initial travel to be softer.

By flexible pivots do you mean like in the picture, There great if you're on a super light cycle cross, down a country lane, but if your hammering through a rock garden or just cased a big jump a little extra travel is nice.   A bit like comparing a mars bar to a can of coke, both have their place.

Pivot does not use a Horst link suspension. Pivot uses a DW Link on their full suspesion bikes.

RobertRinAustin

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 10:28:39 PM »

Pivot does not use a Horst link suspension. Pivot uses a DW Link on their full suspesion bikes.
To add to this, Pivot frames lack the rear pivot that distinguishes a Horst Link from a twin link design like the DW Link or VPP.