Author Topic: ZRACE crankset confusion  (Read 3637 times)

svanimpe

ZRACE crankset confusion
« on: April 13, 2021, 01:09:41 PM »
I've ordered the ZRACE RX 1x crankset (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001345854813.html) but it's pretty annoying/confusing to put together:

1) The nuts for the chainring bolts require a special tool ("chainring bolt wrench") to hold into place while tightening the bolts. Be warned if you don't already own this.
2) The T25 screws to mount the spider are the kind with a pin in the middle, so your tool needs to have a hole in it. I own four tools with a T25 bit (including two torque wrenches) and neither of them have a hole in it. The crankset does include a small tool you can use, but that is too small to get the screws up to 8Nm. I may try to replace these with SRAM screws. Both are M5x7mm, and I'm hoping the threads will match too.
3) The T25 screws shipped with a large rubber ring/band in the bag. I have no idea what that's for.
4) The dust cap looks like it's the Shimano Hollowtech type, but it's not (the Shimano tool doesn't fit). I have no idea how I'm supposed to loosen or tighten this.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 06:39:45 AM by svanimpe »

Zoc

Re: ZRACE crankset confusion
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 06:04:59 AM »
isn't it possible to use a small metall piece to fix the screw, or a screwdriver which fits in the slot?

svanimpe

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 06:41:15 AM »
The slots are too wide apart to fit a screwdriver and I didn't have anything else around that fits.

(Note: I've extended my post. It got cut off again halfway through because I used an emoji  :-\)

Zoc

svanimpe

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 07:49:25 AM »
No that's a BB wrench. The dust cap has a flower shape, like Shimano, but it's larger than Shimano.

carbonazza

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 09:43:26 AM »
You need a tool like this.

I had this tool for years and didn't know what it was about.
And one day, as desperate as you, I saw it and tried and woohoo !

BrianO

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 04:41:38 PM »
I've ordered the ZRACE RX 1x crankset (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001345854813.html) but it's pretty annoying/confusing to put together:

Check these regularly after your first few rides. I heard a creak and I thought it was the bottom bracket, but it was these screws. Two fell out and I had to replace the set from an old Shimano crank. 

svanimpe

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 01:34:08 AM »
@BrianO: Do you mean the spider bolts, or the chainring bolts?

cst_jpr

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 03:10:52 PM »
2) The T25 screws to mount the spider are the kind with a pin in the middle, so your tool needs to have a hole in it. I own four tools with a T25 bit (including two torque wrenches) and neither of them have a hole in it. The crankset does include a small tool you can use, but that is too small to get the screws up to 8Nm. I may try to replace these with SRAM screws. Both are M5x7mm, and I'm hoping the threads will match too.

aka security torx. Thats a bit dumb of them to use those. If necessary you can often break that pin off or drill it.

Chainring bolts thats not too surprising they don't include a tool. Sometimes its not really needed, the nut will grab.

Nickk2000

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 03:43:30 PM »
its called a security torque i think... i ended up stripping the crank arm because i installed the chainrings wrong.

ended up doing multiple chargebacks thru ali, paypal, and my cc to help cover the damage, they said it was 29mm when it was in fact 30.

BrianO

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 04:27:41 PM »
Mine is 29mm and needed a SRAM DUB BB86 bottom bracket.

Nickk2000

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 10:06:07 AM »
what the hell. i have a dub bb and that didnt work. used their zrace bb included (really good quality for the price tbh) and that didnt fit either. used my calipers and also got 30. every listing i see it is for 29 so i guess they screwed up, i dont know, its in the past and it was quite confusing

pantherman

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2021, 03:58:06 PM »
I purchased this same crankset, except it has 2 chain rings.  I can't recall having any issues putting the crank together. 

My frame has BSA BB.  The crankset came with BSA30 bearing cups.  The spindle is already connected to non drive side.  the drive side is secured onto the spindle with a hex bolt.  The dust cap you're referring to is actually just a cap that keeps the hex bolt in place.  When you unscrew the hex bolt from spindle, this cap will hold the hex bolt in place, acting as a crank puller.  if you remove the cap then the hex bolt, the crank will stay on the spindle and you'll have a hard time to remove it.