Author Topic: Best frame for 140mm fork and 200x57 shock?  (Read 1189 times)

lilbigmacky

Best frame for 140mm fork and 200x57 shock?
« on: May 08, 2021, 05:13:27 PM »
I currently have a 2019 diamondback release 2 29 which is a pretty great trail bike, but it has a really heavy frame. I've been looking into getting a carbon frame that I can transfer my components over to. It has a fox rhythm 34 fork with 140mm of travel and a fox float rear shock that is 200x57. Most of the frames that I have found that accommodate a 200x57 rear shock are more enduro style and have too much rear travel for a 140mm fork and I don't really want 150+mm of travel anyway for the trails that I ride.

The frames that I have found which I am considering are the ICAN p1 frame which is specced for a 200x51 shock, but I think I can put the 200x57 on and I can limit the travel of the shock if needed. I also am looking at the DCB F130 which seems to be the exact same frame with a different name because the geometry specs charts are the exact same for both bikes. The geometry for the p1 isn't far off from my current diamondback which is nice.

I am going to keep looking for frames that support the suspension I currently have, but if anyone knows of any other ones I would greatly appreciate if you shared them with me. Also I would like to know how much of a different size rear shock you can get away with on a bike.

lilbigmacky

Re: Best frame for 140mm fork and 200x57 shock?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 12:17:42 PM »
I've done some more research and found 2 more frames that look promising.

The first one is the TanTan FM10 which can accept many different shocks including 200x57 which will give around 150mm of rear travel. My fork is only 140, but it shouldn't be too much of a difference from a 150 shock as far as geometry changes. This frame is 200g heavier than the p1 and has a bit slacker geometry since it is more of an enduro frame. This frame is quite a bit cheaper than the p1 though at $600 plus $100 shipping to the US.

Next up is the Carbonda FM1002. I really like the look of this frame and it is specced with a 205x60 shock which I think I could get away with putting a 200x57 instead which would shorten the travel some and lower the bb. It is also meant to have a 150mm fork so a 140mm would lower the bb as well which might be a concern but I haven't tried to calculate that yet. This frame is about 120g heavier than the p1 and has an even slacker head angle than the FM10 and a much longer wheelbase and reach than the FM10 and the p1. The geo of this one is quite different to my current bike but I really like the look of it. Im not sure the price on this one as it is not listed on their sit and I am also concerened with quality issues that Carbonda has had in the past with cracking and fitment issues on other frames.

I think the FM10 from TanTan or the p1 is a better fit for my components and more similar to my current diamondback, but I'm having a hard time deciding between the three frames p1, FM10, and FM1002. Any feedback would be appreciated.

lilbigmacky

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 08:01:01 PM »
I put the geometries for the three contending frames and my current frame into bike-stats.de to see how each frame compares.

The ICAN p1 is very similar to my current bike but it is a little less slack. The TanTan FM10 is similar in geometry to the p1 but with a good bit more slackness up front which increases the wheelbase as well. The Carbonda FM1002 is quite different from everything else as it is shorter, longer, and slacker than all of the other frames.

lilbigmacky

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 08:43:30 AM »
After looking into the forums on the FM10 a bit, I probably do not want to run the 200x57 shock, but I could buy a 185x50 shock which would give 135mm of travel which would match up well with my 140mm shock.