Author Topic: Velobuild custom frame painting and decals  (Read 1858 times)

1Sigma

Velobuild custom frame painting and decals
« on: May 14, 2021, 05:25:36 PM »
Hi All,

Looking to pull the trigger on the R-168, but had a question about painting.

For those who had their frame painted, how would you rate the quality?
Also, has anyone requested decals added to their frame? If so, was there any additional charge?

Better than average - Extra Average

hazzer19

Re: Velobuild custom frame painting and decals
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 07:09:36 PM »
I've had my painted frame for under a week now and impressed with the paint job. I went with chameleon purple which turned out darker than the colour of theirs I reference but oh well. I was going to go with painted decals but didn't get them to them in time and may actually prefer to apply my own.

1Sigma

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 07:21:52 PM »
Thanks,
Could you let me know if there is an extra charge for chameleon?
Also, although you didn't get to him in time with decals, did Chris provide a price for that service?

hazzer19

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 07:27:24 PM »
I think the Chameleon paint jobs are priced at a 3 colour paint job on their site. No I didn't get a quote on the decals. Got the impression they could be included with the paint job but not sure

Jarne

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 01:56:30 AM »
Hi,

I went with 2 colors and decals for the price of 3 colors. Normally the decals cost you 30 USD. Plus the price of your colors. So it still is very cheap.

Jarne

1Sigma

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 10:26:56 AM »
I think the Chameleon paint jobs are priced at a 3 colour paint job on their site. No I didn't get a quote on the decals. Got the impression they could be included with the paint job but not sure

I just checked out your build in the other thread. Looks great!   Exactly what I am looking for, but with a dark red base instead of purple

I like the Milhouse touch. 

Here was Chris' answer:

Chameleon paint one color 70usd ,20usd more than regular colors
One color chameleon and one regular is ok ,80usd painting cost

Regards

hazzer19

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 11:06:25 AM »
I just checked out your build in the other thread. Looks great!   Exactly what I am looking for, but with a dark red base instead of purple

I like the Milhouse touch. 

Here was Chris' answer:

Chameleon paint one color 70usd ,20usd more than regular colors
One color chameleon and one regular is ok ,80usd painting cost

Regards

Thanks! The sticker is from Thrill House Cycling, awesome Simpsons inspired cycling account https://www.instagram.com/thrillhousecycling/?hl=en

I just checked my invoice and can confirm the chameleon paint was 70 which is the 3 colour option on the option list.

daforce84

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 11:52:25 PM »
I have an order on a GF001 with Velobuild right now, with a two color paint scheme and decals. I made a pdf with the details on where the paint color transitions should be, and the decal locations, sizes, and orientation.

Chris sent me photos the other day, and they got nearly all of it wrong... The decals were were rotated 90-deg, and they didn't seem to get the right colors in the right place... I'm waiting to hear back on their ability to fix the mistakes, but I'm not impressed so far... at all.

Part of me is surprised because based on their website photos, they should be able to do this simple design... but who knows what happened that day. I probably *would* trust their ability to paint a 1-color paint scheme...

Zoc

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 02:01:33 AM »
i ordered VB-R-168 Green Chameleon für USD 50
Painting quality is very goog, no decals
as already stated it's a bit darker thank expected, maybe it's becaus of the matte finish

pictures in this thread
http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3147.30.html

1Sigma

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 12:49:12 PM »
I have an order on a GF001 with Velobuild right now, with a two color paint scheme and decals. I made a pdf with the details on where the paint color transitions should be, and the decal locations, sizes, and orientation.

Chris sent me photos the other day, and they got nearly all of it wrong... The decals were were rotated 90-deg, and they didn't seem to get the right colors in the right place... I'm waiting to hear back on their ability to fix the mistakes, but I'm not impressed so far... at all.

Part of me is surprised because based on their website photos, they should be able to do this simple design... but who knows what happened that day. I probably *would* trust their ability to paint a 1-color paint scheme...

Hmm, let me know how that goes. I guess it's just about bothering them until they get it right?

How much is he charging for decals?

daforce84

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2021, 06:02:36 PM »
Hmm, let me know how that goes. I guess it's just about bothering them until they get it right?

How much is he charging for decals?

It was $30 USD for decals on the top tube, head tube, and a seat stay. Chris quoted a 3-week lead time to get the decals made, but it actually took ~5-weeks.

To fix it, he wanted me to pay $10 USD and wait another 2-weeks to reprint the decals...

My goal is to have them just sand the decals off, and paint the frame correctly... and see if they'll refund me the cost of the decals.

minisergium

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2021, 03:55:11 AM »

Same here. I told him but no answer yet (5 days). I think I'll go for a color scheme from the web or paint it myself.

1Sigma

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2021, 06:48:52 PM »
Hey, has anyone asked them to paint handlebars?

carbonazza

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2021, 08:36:15 AM »
Hey, has anyone asked them to paint handlebars?
They can paint anything, bars, stems and seatposts.