Author Topic: Full suspension build  (Read 1061 times)

huskydriver

Full suspension build
« on: May 26, 2021, 08:27:52 AM »
I have a few questions on a full suspension  build.  I've ordered and built up no less them 30 road, mtb hardtails, and cyclocross frames.  I've always used hardtail xc bikes, but want to build a full suspension bike. 

I'm not too familiar with full suspension bikes.  I know I'm  late to the game.  My first question is what frames are boost and make a good xc race frame?  My second question is what should I look for and what do I need to know about getting the rear shock
  Ideally I'd like to order a frame that includes the rear shock and all bushings and parts needed. 

Thanks in advance.

Schumo

Re: Full suspension build
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 02:18:28 PM »
I think Carbonda FM909/936 and Ican S3 are very popular XC Fully frames, you should find plenty informations about them here.

acedeuce802

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 02:25:28 PM »
Have you ridden full-suspension bikes before?  If not, have you ridden both XC and trail hardtails?  Do you have an idea of what geometry you'd want?  The FM909, FM936, and S3 that Schumo mentioned have great reviews, they're super light, fast, and aggressive.  They are pretty progressive geometry, though, which can be good or bad depending on your preferences.  They will have a longer reach, steeper seat tube angle, and slacker head tube angle than your average XC bike (although the newest name-brand XC bikes are starting to go that way too).  I have an LCFS911 that I really really like.  It's boost, moderately aggressive (kind of in between FM936 and typical old-school XC geo), and pretty light.  It's maybe 100-300g heavier than some of the other XC frames, but mine came in at 23.2 lbs with a moderate build kit.

As far as the rear shock, just get a shock that matches the eye-to-eye and stroke that the frame takes.  There's regular eyelet and trunnion mounting styles, too.  I personally am a fan of Manitous, so I run a McLeod on one bike and Mara on the other.  Most Chinese direct frames don't come with a shock, and I believe some may come with hardware.  The hardware is usually listed on the specs page, for example my LCFS911 uses M8x22.2mm hardware, so just purchase hardware of that size.

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 05:47:45 PM »
Was the same for me. A bit scared of going out of my comfort zone.
But last year I took the plunge. And have built 4 FM936 so far.
You have all the skills already.
Read here the whole thread of the frame you want to build.
And youtube and google will fill the gaps.

huskydriver

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 08:33:52 AM »
Have you ridden full-suspension bikes before?  If not, have you ridden both XC and trail hardtails?  Do you have an idea of what geometry you'd want?  The FM909, FM936, and S3 that Schumo mentioned have great reviews, they're super light, fast, and aggressive.  They are pretty progressive geometry, though, which can be good or bad depending on your preferences.  They will have a longer reach, steeper seat tube angle, and slacker head tube angle than your average XC bike (although the newest name-brand XC bikes are starting to go that way too).  I have an LCFS911 that I really really like.  It's boost, moderately aggressive (kind of in between FM936 and typical old-school XC geo), and pretty light.  It's maybe 100-300g heavier than some of the other XC frames, but mine came in at 23.2 lbs with a moderate build kit.

As far as the rear shock, just get a shock that matches the eye-to-eye and stroke that the frame takes.  There's regular eyelet and trunnion mounting styles, too.  I personally am a fan of Manitous, so I run a McLeod on one bike and Mara on the other.  Most Chinese direct frames don't come with a shock, and I believe some may come with hardware.  The hardware is usually listed on the specs page, for example my LCFS911 uses M8x22.2mm hardware, so just purchase hardware of that size.

it's been 10 plus years since i've test ridden a full suspension bike.  I've only ridden xc hardtails as that's what i've always ridden and raced.  I love to hate going uphill so not sure I'd want a really slack headtube.  My current race bike is a hardtail with a 69.5 or 68.5 head angle.  I'd say its semi progressive, but still along the lines of xc.  I've seen the video on the Trifox/ Scott full suspensioon I may look into.  What's the difference then with the "regular eyelet and trunnion mounting styles?"  So to answer your question on geometry I'd want it xc or maybe even down country, but like i said, i will be doing xc racing with it.

acedeuce802

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 10:20:55 AM »
https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/how-to-measure-the-shock-and-hardware-size-on-a-mountain-bike

There's a writeup and picture in this article about trunnion mounts.  Standard shocks use an eyelet at either end of the shock.  These eyelets require purchasing hardware to fit the frame on both sides.  A trunnion mount is basically two threaded holes on either side of the shock body.  There will be bearings in the frame or linkage, and frames will come with the bolts that go through them, so you will only need to purchase hardware for the one eyelet mount on the other side of the trunnion mount.  I believe the FM936, ICAN S3, and LCFS911 all use trunnion shocks.