Author Topic: XC frame comparable to Specialized Epic Evo (110mm travel)?  (Read 5096 times)

monocongo

I'm considering a frame that looks to be reasonably close to a Specialized Epic Evo, which is the bike I thought I'd get before I decided to build something similar instead.

TanTan FM038: http://www.tantancycling.com/index.php?_m=mod_product&_a=view&p_id=916

Can anyone comment on this frame and/or any experiences with TanTan? Are there other comparable frames I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

CasualRider

Re: XC frame comparable to Specialized Epic Evo (110mm travel)?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 05:28:08 AM »
Haven't bought it to test but icanbikes s24 looks the fit.

http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3098.0.html

Ben78

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 02:55:15 AM »
Consider Ican S3 - https://icancycling.com/products/xc-full-suspension-mtb-bike-frame-s3#

66° HA at 120mm fork, and can take a 165x45 shock to gear 112mm travel. Very up to date geo, identical to FM936 from Carbonda. Longer reach than Epic Evo. Little bit heavier. FM936 comes in a superlight frame option but the longest travel shock you'll fit is 165x42.5.

*disclaimer* I chose the Ican S3 as it ticked all the geo boxes for me. I've done nearly 200km on it now and I love it. It's definitely on the chubbier side and I am working on that, have changed the front to a carbon wheel and lightweight hub, will do the rear when I get a bit more cash together.

RobertRinAustin

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 11:36:57 AM »
Ican S3, FM936 and the FM909 are the only frames I'm aware of that are short travel with a slacker front end. All 3 have steeper seat tube angles than the Spec, but for me that's a plus.

looksee

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 03:04:08 PM »
If you looking at size M, the Topcarbon TCSF046/Lexon Riot in M or L (reach brackets the Epic Evo M) is essentially identical in geometry (BB drop, head angle, seat angle, chainstays) using a -1.5 degree angle headset (68 to 66.5) like the Works Components Angle Headset and going 110/120 travel. You could even go with a -2.0 headset if you want to go a tad slacker.

monocongo

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2022, 02:14:10 PM »
Reviving this old post since it now looks like the Chinese bootleggers have finally made an Epic Evo clone: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804496327363.html?spm=a2g0o.ppclist.product.96.6a72bUR2bUR2Nn&pdp_npi=2%40dis%21USD%21US%20%24665.00%21%24625.10%21%21%21%21%21%402101d1b916672659113901621eb41f%2112000030085464825%21btf&_t=pvid%3A07fd90aa-37ac-400b-b241-e23cb59e0795&afTraceInfo=1005004682642115__pc__c_ppc_item_bridge__xxxxxx__1667265911&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

If anyone has bought this or another similar frame I am definitely interested in reading your comments. I can't find an Epic Evo in the shops here and I'd prefer to build my own using this or another similar frame, but I'll feel better about taking the plunge if I'm not the first in the water.

BTW I ended up building an XC FS bike with a frame from Tantan FM078 (similar to the FM038 I mentioned at the start of this thread), nothing but good times so far.

Condorman

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2022, 12:59:48 PM »
I'm curious about this frame as well.  I was set to purchase the Carbonda FM909 until I saw this post.  However, I'm still on the fence because I have a question/concern with the rear triangle.  It appears that the seller provides two options for the link: 1) threaded link for a 200x50 Brain shock and 2) normal link for a 190x40 standard shock.  However, there is only one option for the rear triangle itself.  By comparison, Specialized offers two different links and two different rear triangles depending on which version of the Epic you buy.  The Specialized Epic rear triangle has the threaded link, bolt holes on the non-drive side swingarm for the Brain hose, and a larger hole near the rear axle for the Brain itself to install on the rear triangle.  The Specialized Epic EVO rear triangle has the regular link, and it eliminates both the bolt holes on the swingarm and the extra hole for the Brain near the rear axle.   

I reached out to the seller about this, and they confirmed they only provide a single version of the rear triangle whether you want to use a Brain shock or not.  It has the holes on the swingarm, which is not too big of a deal to me, I can just install some bolts to plug them up.  I am concerned, however, with the hole for the Brain.  Since I plan on using a regular rear shock, the seller said they will provide a rubber stopper to plug the hole in the back.

I have asked for photos of this and will post them if/when I get them.

Anyone have experience with a Brain shock that could comment on whether I should be concerned with this rubber stopper design? 

Condorman

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2022, 01:07:10 PM »
Oh, and here are a couple of pictures of the mounting bolts on the swingarm for the Brain shock hose, as well as the Brain mounting location near the rear axle.

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2022, 03:41:12 PM »
What exactly is the brain shock/system? Why are there holes in the seatstay

Condorman

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2022, 06:07:16 PM »
A starting place to learn about the Brain system is on Specialized's website:

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/stories/brain-technology

Depends on which holes you're asking about.  First, there are threaded holes on the seatstay used to to mount the hose that runs between the shock and the "Brain" mounted on the rear triangle near the axle.  Second, there is a larger hole to mount the Brain itself, since it has kind of an "L" shape.  When installed, part of the Brain is external on the frame, part of it is internal in the frame.  The larger hole for the internal part of the Brain is what I am questioning how well a rubber stopper will work to protect.

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2022, 03:23:04 AM »
Interesting, and I wonder if you buy the brain version of this frame with the shock does it come with the brain system? And then will it be reliable. Probably safer to just get the standard version.

vioch

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2022, 05:16:01 AM »
Does anybody have concerns that advertised frame is not EVO?

Just Epic and Epic EVO have different construction... Thus there are also doubts and about declared frame geometry...

Epic

Epic Evo

« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 09:04:55 AM by vioch »

Swolie74

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2022, 09:42:16 AM »
Does anybody have concerns that advertised frame is not EVO?

I think there will be doubts no matter what until you have the frame in your hands.

And as far as the Epic FS frame without Brain, that would be my preference personally. People have been removing the brain for a while now. Getting it serviced is a pain from what I’ve read.

Patch64

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2022, 06:26:13 AM »
Hello, so nobody never try this Epic Clone on the forum?
Thanks

acedeuce802

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2022, 07:58:16 AM »
I think interest in this frame will be pretty low, because it's usually more risky to buy clones.  When you buy an "open mold" frame, it's often a design that several manufacturers and sellers will use, it's been engineered and tested, and there are a lot of frames sold to help refine the design (see FM936 being made by Flybike and sold by Carbonda and ICAN, then also retailed by Vitus, NS, Boltcutter, etc).  Often times clones aren't engineered, because they just copy the geometry of a known frame, but may not know the layup or material type.  This is just a generality, it's possible an open mold frame is poor and a clone is high quality, but that's not as common.