Author Topic: XC frame comparable to Specialized Epic Evo (110mm travel)?  (Read 5118 times)

casual_build

Re: XC frame comparable to Specialized Epic Evo (110mm travel)?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2022, 11:47:39 AM »
... (see FM936 being made by Flybike and sold by Carbonda and ICAN, then also retailed by Vitus, NS, Boltcutter, etc) ...

I think the mold is made by Flybike, and some of the carbon frames, but not all. NS bikes designed the bike frame and saved money on the frame mold, by forgoing exclusivity (On the front triangle mold). So Flybike gave NS bikes a deal on the mold, and then sells the mold to other companies like ICAN. Carbonda, ICAN, Vitus and Boltcutter could, in theory, all use different carbon layups for the same Flybike frame mold. That's why we see different quality and weights on the same frames from ICAN and Carbonda.

Carbonda is a good company to buy from because they are the B2C subsidiary of the B2B Flybike-asia. Also, open-design would be more correct, since open mold means something else.

RDY

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2022, 03:19:37 PM »
I'm pretty certain NS didn't design anything ... AFAIK they're purely a catalogue brand.  They've tried to claim with both the 936 and others that they either designed it or had significant input, were called out and then fell silent.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 03:21:10 PM by RDY »

carbonazza

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2022, 12:24:10 AM »
...were called out ...

Really?!?

I have the feeling too, fly bike asia have competent designers.
However in the case of the CFR-505, Thesis who took an exclusivity for a while, suggested improvements. That are now part of the frame they sell.

casual_build

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2022, 01:35:33 AM »
I'm pretty certain NS didn't design anything ... AFAIK they're purely a catalogue brand.  They've tried to claim with both the 936 and others that they either designed it or had significant input, were called out and then fell silent.

Are you sure? They also had 120mm rear travel available from the start. It seems like the only reason we have it because they lost exclusivity?

I'm not saying that Flybike doesn't have designers, but I think they are more mold and manufacturing focused.

https://nsbikes.com/introducing-the-ns-bikes-synonym,480,pl.html
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 01:38:00 AM by casual_build »

RDY

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2022, 03:13:05 AM »
They were called out by community members, and then either FBA or Carbonda directly commented when asked, confirming that NS had nothing to do with the design process.  Not my story, others posted about it here and elsewhere.

Catalogue brands rarely employ anybody capable of doing any design or engineering work.  NS may have requested a 120mm option when FBA didn't have one planned (we don't know).  But that's a long way from design.  FBA and similar operations are a one-stop-shop.  Their focus is not on OEM work (not even sure they do it?), they're primarily an ODM.

It's not like NS are the only ones pretending they design, though.  Lots claim it.  Very few do it.  Vitus (CRC / Wiggle brand) are a classic one.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 03:43:28 AM by RDY »

casual_build

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2022, 04:41:30 PM »
They were called out by community members, and then either FBA or Carbonda directly commented when asked, confirming that NS had nothing to do with the design process.  Not my story, others posted about it here and elsewhere.

Catalogue brands rarely employ anybody capable of doing any design or engineering work.  NS may have requested a 120mm option when FBA didn't have one planned (we don't know).  But that's a long way from design.  FBA and similar operations are a one-stop-shop.  Their focus is not on OEM work (not even sure they do it?), they're primarily an ODM.

It's not like NS are the only ones pretending they design, though.  Lots claim it.  Very few do it.  Vitus (CRC / Wiggle brand) are a classic one.

Sorry RDY, Can you show me what you mean when you say they were called out?

Over two years ago when I built my FM936, I got Enigma rims from an NS retailer. They were surprised to learn about the FM936 and they talked to NS about it. NS said that was the factory they use and I assumed they gave up exclusivity for a discount on the frame mold. I think NS was involved with the bike design. Vitus and other rebrands of the frame came later.

Really?!?

I have the feeling too, fly bike asia have competent designers.
However in the case of the CFR-505, Thesis who took an exclusivity for a while, suggested improvements. That are now part of the frame they sell.

I agree. Flybike clearly has expertise with frame mold design. I'm sure building carbon frame molds for mass manufacturing has its own difficulties. I feel like they invested a lot in bike frame molding and now have competent bike designers to help them grow.

I asked Adam and he says that NS and Flybike worked together to bring us Frame Mold #936

« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 04:48:27 PM by casual_build »

lukwy

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2022, 02:54:34 AM »
NS Bikes has its own designers. I'm sure - I'm also from Poland :)
Anyhow FM936 geometry is great. Especialy it ascend awesome.
I tested it this season racing MTB marathons.
FS: Carbonda FM936, XT/SLX 1x12, 2.4
Gravel: TanTan GR045, GRX820/105 2x12, 700x35c

casual_build

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2022, 08:25:52 PM »
Interestingly, the FM1001, FM1002, and FM1003 were all developed in house (by Carbonda and Flybike). So I have no doubt that they have good designers too.
I'm excited to see what they do next!

RDY

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2022, 04:42:28 AM »
Sorry RDY, Can you show me what you mean when you say they were called out?

Over two years ago when I built my FM936, I got Enigma rims from an NS retailer. They were surprised to learn about the FM936 and they talked to NS about it. NS said that was the factory they use and I assumed they gave up exclusivity for a discount on the frame mold. I think NS was involved with the bike design. Vitus and other rebrands of the frame came later.

I agree. Flybike clearly has expertise with frame mold design. I'm sure building carbon frame molds for mass manufacturing has its own difficulties. I feel like they invested a lot in bike frame molding and now have competent bike designers to help them grow.

I asked Adam and he says that NS and Flybike worked together to bring us Frame Mold #936

Like I say.  It wasn't my story ... if this forum had a better search function I'd find it.  On that note, at minimum, can we not have an in-thread search function?  It'd prevent a lot of the same questions and threads being constantly posted because nobody can find what they're looking for.