Author Topic: Bearings  (Read 781 times)

Matt_C

Bearings
« on: May 31, 2021, 02:41:51 PM »
Sick of paying £15 per bearing for decent performance. Sick of paying £5 per bearing for horrible performance. Anyone know of any good value bearings that last or is it really just what you pay for is what you get? Any way to buy them in bulk to save money? Just ordered some more "premium" bearings from AliExpress. Will report back on their performance.

cst_jpr

Re: Bearings
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 05:28:00 PM »
Be more specific please, which bearing are you paying $15 for? What is the part number and brand?
By performance you mean reliability right?

Generally you are best off with a more local supplier, and purchasing good but not highest tier brand if you want value.

For example this ebay seller offers quality tiers (608 10pc quantity): https://www.ebay.com/itm/322563429934
- Top tier is $2.80 each (NSK, NTN, SKF, FAG)
- Next tier is $1.70 ea (EU, maybe EZO falls here too?)
- Lowest (no name china or Dunlop std whatever that is) is $0.66 ea

So you can get an idea of realistic price differences.

Its tough with the Aliexpress "premium" bearings because you might be paying more for ABEC 3 vs ABEC 1 or whatever, which is completely meaningless for cycling. Or it may also mean the bearing itself is higher quality as well. Don't bother paying more for ceramic balls.

Matt_C

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 06:38:06 PM »
6903 in this case. I went with a company before called "British bearing company" ended up being absolutely crap

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 04:11:21 AM »
Headsets(bottom) and BB bearings tend to die whatever their quality, as I ride in the wet.
The cheap ones from Aliexpress are fine for that. And I change them when dead.

All other bearings for wheels, pedals and pivots, either SKF or Enduro depending on the online price and availability.

If you live in Benelux you may look at https://www.kogellager-express.nl/
EDIT: I just saw the £... but it may help others
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 04:17:02 AM by carbonazza »

cst_jpr

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 08:18:54 PM »
6903 in this case. I went with a company before called "British bearing company" ended up being absolutely crap

Thats just an ebay store, did the bearings have any manufacturing codes on them other than "6903-2RS"? If not, probably were no-name china bearings.

A 6903 from the A tier brands will cost about $10 each, or <$8 in quantity. If that is in your budget check a local supplier, or a reputable ebay seller (the one I linked says they have them but not listed in 2RS which you need). You may want to measure the size as well, in the other thread I was told some are mislabeled... 61903 and 6903 may not always be the same?

emu26

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 11:31:29 PM »
FWIW I'm just going to throw this out there but before I do I'll say that I am generally a tight ar$e, or a penny pincher. Don't normally pay extra just so I have a brand name I can see. That's why I'm on this forum, and I suspect probably a little bit of truth in that for everybody else on these forums.

I think in some cases you actually get what you pay for.  Just built the boy a new bike, he's growing and had outgrown his small Giant Reign that I built up early last year.  Frame swap to a medium Transition Patrol with most parts swapping over.  I had put a brand new Giant headset into the Reign when I bought it and had planned o just swapping it over.  About $40 Australian new at the time.  When I pulled it out both bearings were stuffed. I hadn't paid much attention at the time I first put it in but they have an open gap on the inside face of the bearing.  When I went to wipe more grease into this gap I cut myself on a small bit of metal protruding.  A little pit of pulling and out game one of the bearing spacers / ball holders. The gap was uneven and the more I played with it the worse the whole thing felt.

So he's now without a bike while I source a new headset. He rides several hours a day and needs that "fix" otherwise we all suffer.  Anyway caught between a rock and hard place I did what I normally would never do and went to my local Transition dealer, my LBS I usually use didn't have the specific headset I needed.  $180A later I walk out of the Transition dealer with a Cane Creek 110 headset.  Yes,  $180 for a headset.

Getting home and unpacking it I see why.  The seals on the cups and races are better than anything I have seen on any other headset. The bearings themselves have the best seals I have ever seen on any bearing I have ever held before.  It is tight, firm, buttery smooth and I believe incredibly well sealed. Obviously time will tell just how long it lasts but I was told with regular cleaning / re-greasing the bearings will outlast this, and every subsequent bike I build for him. I have to say from what I saw, I don't doubt that.

Lifetime gaurantee  https://canecreek.com/100-guarantee/
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 11:34:10 PM by emu26 »

carbonazza

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 04:02:05 AM »
I pay extraordinary amounts for some bike parts, but not headsets  8)
My first one was a Canecreek 40.
It is indeed much better manufactured.
But the bottom bearings didn't last long.
I then discovered the cheap ones from Ali, and never came back to expensive ones for any build.
The top Canecreek bearings is still laying in a drawer as it was still smooth.

I'm interested to know how the 110 will fare.

noodleshop

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 02:39:25 AM »
If you're looking for MTB pivot bearings, you could have a look at these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001579774398.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.6af768899RzzTw&algo_pvid=3faa7e7d-9891-4e29-9ed5-107cba642e64&algo_exp_id=3faa7e7d-9891-4e29-9ed5-107cba642e64-0

They're designed for MTB pivots apparently. Personally I've never tried, but the reviews seem pretty good!