Author Topic: Chipped my chain stay, thoughts?  (Read 714 times)

FHS

Chipped my chain stay, thoughts?
« on: May 31, 2021, 09:55:15 PM »
This probably happened a few weeks ago when I popped my quick link at the start of a sprint. It sounded nasty when I did it, but I thought I gave the frame a good once over. I just noticed the chip now when I pulled the crank off to clean things up a bit.

I've been riding as usual and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary as far as performance goes.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Nickk2000

Re: Chipped my chain stay, thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 11:40:38 PM »
Im not an expert but given its matte, i dont think theres any “paint” to chip so youre looking at a carbon chip.

It either looks like scratches or you tore through the first layer. Iirc someone on reddit said the bottom bracket is the most reinforced area (which makes sense) so chances are thats cosmetic due to the high layup in the bb area. If yoy want to still ride with it, inspect it after every ride or so and see if theres any growth of cracks or anything, if not, apply nail polish and or uv protectant.

Snacks

Re: Chipped my chain stay, thoughts?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 12:43:49 PM »
There are still layers of paint and clear coat with a matte finish. It's hard to tell how deeps it's gone but from the pic I'm assuming it's just chipped off the paint. although it does looks like there's a deeper scratch there within the chipped area.

The bb area has extra reinforcement because it needs to withstand the strength of your pedal stroke while seated and standing. That said i agree with nick, spray some clear o protect from UV and keep checking it to see if it gets worse. Although,  it would probably be a better idea to have a shop check it to have some peace of mind while sprinting or on high speed descents .