Author Topic: Frame suggestion  (Read 5504 times)

Gowes

Frame suggestion
« on: June 04, 2021, 07:04:48 AM »
Hi guys, I need suggestions about frame. I’ve narrowed them down with some pointers:
1. Should have relaxed geometry since I have shorter torso. 172 cm with 81 inseam.
2. Most of my rides are in hilly areas with little bad roads, and at least long distance ride once a week. So an aero and lightweight bike would help.
3. Haven’t done any bike fit, current setup is 517 370 stack and reach.

My current options are:
Tantan x21 for aero, lacking reach, slightly heavier
Tantan gr039 no aero seatube, perfect reach, ok weight for gravel frame
Carbonda cfr505 no aero seatube, ok reach, on the heavy side
Carbonda cfr1056 no aero seat tube, reach helped by stack, decent weight
Velobuild vbr99 laero, decent reach for me, decent weight
Workswell wcb r256 no aero seatube, reach is ok, weight also ok
Workswell wcb r357 no aero seatube, ok reach, no weight info.

Looks like I need to sacrifice something here. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 08:39:48 AM by Gowes »

svanimpe

Re: Frame suggestion
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 07:23:59 AM »
Also check out the Carbonda 1056. It has an endurance fit (high stack, short reach), with a more road-like feel (short wheelbase, steeper angles), and it's pretty light weight.

Personally, I recommend against aero seat posts. They don't offer that much of a benefit, they are very uncomfortable, and they are proprietary. What if you want a seat post with a different setback? What if you don't like the clamp design (I hate the two-bolt design most manufacturers use)? What if you got a fancy carbon saddle but the clamp doesn't support oval rails? Too bad, you're stuck with it if it's proprietary and not a standard round shape.

Gowes

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 08:05:08 AM »
Also check out the Carbonda 1056. It has an endurance fit (high stack, short reach), with a more road-like feel (short wheelbase, steeper angles), and it's pretty light weight.

Personally, I recommend against aero seat posts. They don't offer that much of a benefit, they are very uncomfortable, and they are proprietary. What if you want a seat post with a different setback? What if you don't like the clamp design (I hate the two-bolt design most manufacturers use)? What if you got a fancy carbon saddle but the clamp doesn't support oval rails? Too bad, you're stuck with it if it's proprietary and not a standard round shape.

Ah, I forgot the 1056. Was looking at it a moment ago and wondering if I’ve put it here. Thanks for the reminder. You maybe right about the seatpost. As I read somewhere, the differences is about 30+ watts between climbing and aero frame. And seat posts are just one of many factors. At first I inclined towards round standard seat post because of many slipping problems, and also the compatibility you’ve mentioned.

So Iguess I could narrow it down to which has more suitable geometry and lightweight. But a thin fork, head tube and low seat stays would help.   ;D.

That means 4 choices left:
Tantan x21 for aero, lacking reach, slightly heavier
Tantan gr039 no aero seatube, perfect reach, ok weight for gravel frame
Carbonda cfr505 no aero seatube, ok reach, on the heavy side
Carbonda cfr1056 no aero seat tube, reach helped by stack, decent weight
Velobuild vbr99 laero, decent reach for me, decent weight
Workswell wcb r256 no aero seatube, reach is ok, weight also ok
Workswell wcb r357 no aero seatube, ok reach, no weight info.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 08:13:13 AM by Gowes »

Aesch

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 08:47:12 AM »
Most important Aero wise are wheels and handlebar /steerer. Those can be your own choice. (this is materials side, far mor important is the fit so I would suggest starting with a proper bike fit.)
I will never buy a bike with proprietary parts again after the nightmare I had sourcing parts for my current bike.

Gowes

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 09:04:13 AM »
Most important Aero wise are wheels and handlebar /steerer. Those can be your own choice. (this is materials side, far mor important is the fit so I would suggest starting with a proper bike fit.)
I will never buy a bike with proprietary parts again after the nightmare I had sourcing parts for my current bike.

For the wheels, I’m inclined towards Light Bicycle. They seems to have the quality and dedicated brands. I will look into it after the frame. For the bike fit, I think I’m close to get a good fit. No more numbness and pain for more than 2 hours ride from below the hips area. A little weak in the hip area after 3 hours, probably need more train. Numbness in hand after 3 hours ride, a little pain in shoulder and neck after 6 hours ride.
So you’re suggesting to buy the handlebar from the same manufacturer?

Nickk2000

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 09:23:24 AM »
Farsports, yoeleo, ican, light carbon are all good choices for wheels.

As for frames, people have had issues about dishonesty with tantan in the past through their aliexpress store but youre probably fine if you go on their website. Workswell, for disc brakes, people have also had poor disc lineup but those that have bought from them seem to really like the frame if everythings fine. Carbondas a good choice too.

Speaking quality assurance and customer support, didnt look at geo.

Aesch

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 03:33:56 PM »
I have a Carbonda 696,perfect frame. Light bicycle wheels, good too. 1056 Carbonda on order and farsports wheelset too. Service and contact were great so far.
Carbonda sells a matching handlebar for 1056.

cme

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2021, 10:54:19 PM »
Haven't assembled it yet, but I'm delighted both with the 1056 frame and Carbonda's customer service. Everything worked in the test fit. Full internal cable routing is nice (i.e., through handlebar into headset/headtube then frame). Weights were also on point, though the website publishes only weights for the bare carbon parts, so hardware, such as seat clamp (28g), handlebar top cap (35g), & screws (3g each) added a bit more.

Bonpensiero

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 04:05:04 AM »
Workswell seems to have long delivery times at the moment.

carbonazza

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 03:53:47 AM »
...I'm delighted both with the 1056 frame...Full internal cable routing is nice...

Did you post some pictures of the internal routing?
I quickly scanned the forum but couldn't find any.
I'm thinking moving the components of my Canyon to that frame next season, and do the internal routing.

Gowes

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 10:25:12 AM »
Farsports, yoeleo, ican, light carbon are all good choices for wheels.

As for frames, people have had issues about dishonesty with tantan in the past through their aliexpress store but youre probably fine if you go on their website. Workswell, for disc brakes, people have also had poor disc lineup but those that have bought from them seem to really like the frame if everythings fine. Carbondas a good choice too.

Speaking quality assurance and customer support, didnt look at geo.

I guess people can have good and bad experiences. Workswell seems have slightly more prices. Or rather, I heard all chinese manufacturer are raising their prices lately?

I have a Carbonda 696,perfect frame. Light bicycle wheels, good too. 1056 Carbonda on order and farsports wheelset too. Service and contact were great so far.
Carbonda sells a matching handlebar for 1056.

1056’s geometry is more to my preference. (Shorter reach) will look into those you mentioned later, thanks.

Workswell seems to have long delivery times at the moment.

Maybe all global shipments are affected. I purchased a seatpost and took more than a month to arrive, which usually only took about 2 weeks.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 10:28:16 AM by Gowes »

Gowes

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2021, 10:47:43 AM »
The more I look into, the more choices I have. But they’re all still between endurance or gravel geometry’s.

Tantan gr039 perfect reach, slightly less weight
Carbonda cfr1056 higher stack, medium reach, decent weight
Velobuild gf001 acceptable reach, high stack, abit weight
Vbr066 light weight
Hongfu fm088
Lightcarbon 071sd

I think my choice would still between endurance and gravel frame. Has anyone compare have those 2? (Chiner frame, of course). How are their compliance and stiffness with the same wheelset?

OlieSimpson

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 12:53:00 AM »
Hi guys,

Would also like some recommendations on frames if possible? OP, hope this is okay!!

I average around 800km's per month with most rides being between 1 hour to 2 hours (30km to 60km's), with a 3 hour+ ride thrown in when time permits. I'm based in Amsterdam so all of my rides are flat with little to no elevation change and are done solo.

I don't race and my only real goal is to try and increase my avg. speed from around 31km/h to 35km/h. so I can go further in my 1 to 2 hour riding window.

I'm 170cm tall, weigh about 67kg and ride a Triban RC 520 in size Small https://www.decathlon.com/collections/road-bikes/products/road-bike-disc-105-rc-520?

So far I've upgraded the wheels to some 50mm Farsports carbon rims and changed the seat post for a 0mm offset carbon version with carbon seat. This has reduced the weight from around 10.5kg's to 9.1kg's, and I'll be transfering as many parts as possible from my current bike to the new frame.

I'm curently looking at a few frames from VeloBuild (VB-R-099, VB-R-168 and VB-R-177) as they seem to have a good reputation for build quality, customer service and price point and it would be great to get some thoughts on which frame and size may suit me best, or if there are any alternative recommendations.

A geo comparisson of these frames vs what I currently have is here: https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/triban-rc520-2019-s,velobuild-2020-vb-r-099-2020-49,velobuild-2020-vb-r-099-2020-52,velobuild-vb-r-168-2021-49,velobuild-vb-r-168-2021-52,velobuild-vb-r-177-2021-xs,velobuild-vb-r-177-2021-s

Looking at the numbers, the VB-R-099 in 49cm size seems to be a best match with a slightly lower stack (expected as it's aero vs endurance geo), and shorter reach. The shorter reach of the VB-R-099 is offset by the fact the shortest stem option that comes with the frame is 90mm vs my current 80mm stem. The proprietary bars seem to have a forward sweep that further increases the reach, and the proprietary seatpost also has a 20mm offset.

My ideal choice would be the VB-R-168 but would like to be able to run a standard bar, stem and seat post which would help with bike fit and replacement parts if needed, however this doesn't seem to be an option.

Anyway, very long post but would be great to get thoughts :)

adriaanm

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2021, 01:10:21 AM »
I believe you can run a normal stem and handlebar on the VB-R-168 with the right headset.

You could try this  ohne

https://www.bike-discount.de/de/kaufen/ritchey-comp-logic-e-cartridge-drop-in-1.5-steuersatz-oberteil-1016601

Here’s another option: https://www.bike24.com/p2422400.html

I haven’t looked in depth, so best to double check.

Gowes

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2021, 01:20:49 PM »
Hi guys,

Would also like some recommendations on frames if possible? OP, hope this is okay!!

I average around 800km's per month with most rides being between 1 hour to 2 hours (30km to 60km's), with a 3 hour+ ride thrown in when time permits. I'm based in Amsterdam so all of my rides are flat with little to no elevation change and are done solo.

I don't race and my only real goal is to try and increase my avg. speed from around 31km/h to 35km/h. so I can go further in my 1 to 2 hour riding window.

I'm 170cm tall, weigh about 67kg and ride a Triban RC 520 in size Small https://www.decathlon.com/collections/road-bikes/products/road-bike-disc-105-rc-520?

So far I've upgraded the wheels to some 50mm Farsports carbon rims and changed the seat post for a 0mm offset carbon version with carbon seat. This has reduced the weight from around 10.5kg's to 9.1kg's, and I'll be transfering as many parts as possible from my current bike to the new frame.

I'm curently looking at a few frames from VeloBuild (VB-R-099, VB-R-168 and VB-R-177) as they seem to have a good reputation for build quality, customer service and price point and it would be great to get some thoughts on which frame and size may suit me best, or if there are any alternative recommendations.

A geo comparisson of these frames vs what I currently have is here: https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/triban-rc520-2019-s,velobuild-2020-vb-r-099-2020-49,velobuild-2020-vb-r-099-2020-52,velobuild-vb-r-168-2021-49,velobuild-vb-r-168-2021-52,velobuild-vb-r-177-2021-xs,velobuild-vb-r-177-2021-s

Looking at the numbers, the VB-R-099 in 49cm size seems to be a best match with a slightly lower stack (expected as it's aero vs endurance geo), and shorter reach. The shorter reach of the VB-R-099 is offset by the fact the shortest stem option that comes with the frame is 90mm vs my current 80mm stem. The proprietary bars seem to have a forward sweep that further increases the reach, and the proprietary seatpost also has a 20mm offset.

My ideal choice would be the VB-R-168 but would like to be able to run a standard bar, stem and seat post which would help with bike fit and replacement parts if needed, however this doesn't seem to be an option.

Anyway, very long post but would be great to get thoughts :)

Sure, go ahead. The most aero with fully integrated cockpit would be the best if I may add. Or maybe a TT frame. But As far as I know, no open mould frame have been build on a wind tunnel. Winspace said it was tested on one, but still need more reviews from real user.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 10:50:13 AM by Gowes »