Author Topic: Lightweight spoke recommendations for XC race wheelset, 70kg rider  (Read 777 times)

noodleshop

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of building an XC wheelset that (I hope) I can ride competitively on. I'm currently at around 1.4kg for a wheelset:

- Lightcarbon AD930GP XC rims
- DT Swiss 350S Hubs
- Sapim Race spokes
- Sapim Polyax brass nipples

I'd like to drop more weight, hopefully into the low 1300g-ish category, without increasing the budget too much. One area I've identified is that the Sapim race spokes seem to be a bit heavy, at around 6g a spoke. Primarily I'm looking for recommendations in this area.

I think another area where it's possible to drop some weight are the nipples. I chose brass nipples for longevity; I ride in the rain, and frequently put my bike exposed on a boat (across the sea) to get to a nearby island to ride. Currently looking at Sapim Polyax brass for corrosion resistance, but I've heard about some alloy nipples with superior corrosion resistance. Would be happy to hear your recommendations too :)

(I'm 70kg without gear, and sometimes ride my XC bike a bit bluntly, going up and down curbs and stairs and that sorta thing. Where I ride is pretty technical. )

Thanks everyone!

carbonazza

Re: Lightweight spoke recommendations for XC race wheelset, 70kg rider
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 04:04:57 AM »
The SAPIM CX-Ray are lighter, but more expensive.
The DT-240s or Carbon Ti too, but... too :)
SAPIM nipples are well anodized, if you oil the spokes when mounting the wheel, they can still be tuned if needed years after.
Well... I don't live by the sea. Salt is not a friend of the steel/alloy interface, so maybe brass is the only option for you.

To give you an idea.
I'm about the same weight, and took the XC925 rims, with dt-240s and SAPIM CX-Ray, Polyax Alloy for a 1216g wheelset.
And ride with 2.35 tires.

wfl3

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 06:48:09 AM »
I've had good luck with the Pillar 1420 spokes, should be a bit cheaper than the Rays. 

I'm about 73kg and generally pretty harsh on my wheels, busted a couple of rims but no 1420s yet.

ETA: I've always heard not to use Pillar nipples and have no experience with those.

bxcc

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 09:48:58 AM »
Hubs: The DT 350 hubs are hard to beat but go with the centerlock version. You'll save a bunch of weight there. You are a bit limited in rotor selection, and you can't get the super light Ashima rotors in centerlock. But an XT centerlock will be lighter than an XT 6 bolt.

Spokes: I've had great luck with DT Aerolite spokes but they aren't cheap. My last set I had built with white ones as I found this deal on them. $2.50 per spoke isn't cheap either but still better than $3.50 and up.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254861762302?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=554702691077&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Also, these CX-Rays are a decent price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/362633234947?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=631774260436&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Nipples: If you go aluminum, DT Swiss and Sapim. Otherwise, go brass. I've read that Sapim and DT have a better anodizing process. My winter bike has CX-Ray spokes, carbon rims, and alloy nipples. It's had a few rides on the back of my car with slushy roads. They are still going strong after 5 or 6 years. There's a couple that have gotten a bit white but nothing concerning. I'll probably pull the rim tape off this fall to reassess.

Nickk2000

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 12:55:30 PM »
Whats the depth of the rims?
Farpsorts has their own cf spoke wheelset, but i dont know where you can get cf spokes.
240 vs 350 sheds some weight, if you get exp probably even more. Brass is heavier than steel/alloy as you know.

tcross

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 09:54:23 PM »
For lightweight change out the hub for a 240/180exp and then either BERD or titanium spokes... The CX-Ray is your best bet though. They are relatively cheap and awesome at what they do. I have them paired to most of my wheels.