Chinese Carbon MTB > 26er & 27.5 (650b)

Chinertown's first IP-156 build

<< < (2/3) > >>

Jotegr:
I'm not sure what you mean. If you get a shimano with a seized piston you put the caliper In the garbage. If you get an avid with a seized piston you can replace the piston.

Carbon_Dude:
I think what 325racer means is it doesn't matter if you cannot rebuild the Shimano caliper because they generally don't need to be serviced.

I never had to rebuild either Avid or Shimano brakes, but the Avids were troublesome in that they would make more noise under braking and did not have the stopping power or modulation that my Shimano XT brakes have.

When I built my Chiners, I tried the latest from Avid at the time which were the SRAM Guide Trail brakes and those brakes had about 90% of the brake feel and power of the Shimano XT.  They are a good brake, but not quite as good as the Shimano XT.

Jotegr:
Update time: all the bits that are going on the bike are now on the bike. Still gotta cable up and do the high limits of my derailleurs, as well as sort out some sort of frame protection for cable wear areas. Pretty good idea of what it'll look like when built up. And yes I'm aware the carpet and walls in my basement are disgusting.

Sometime over winter I hope to swap to grey fork decals, but maybe de-sticker entirely. 

I also need to raise my fork's travel to 120. An easy enough task normally but they've changed how the system works on 2014 forks so I'm just waiting on an e-mail back from X-fusion before I give that a whirl.

And on the brakes stuff- I have little issue with running the avid 5's on my XC bike. They've always been quiet for me. I've never had a single piston shimano seize, but I've seen their double piston line (Zee, Saint) seize more than maybe they should. It's just annoying as someone who's comfortable rebuilding calipers that you can't with all the current gen shimano stuff.

PS. It's likely there will never be a non-potato pic of this bike.

Carbon_Dude:
Looks like a really nice FS 27.5 build.  Glad to see it is getting near complete.

P.S.  Your pics looks a bit squashed to me making the bike look a bit longer (left to right) than it probably should.  What gave it away was the wheels look more oval than round, maybe just the result of a camera phone lens  :).

Look forward to hearing how you like the ride performance.

Oolak:
Love the paint scheme.

Also, curious your impressions of the Velvet fork?.. It's been on my list of maybes for quite some time now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version