Author Topic: Lexon "Riot 10"  (Read 40638 times)

Flummox

Re: Lexon "Riot 10"
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2022, 04:38:35 AM »
another nice feature, usually found on high-end frames, is guided cables in the swingarm.
As usual, I insert a piece of pipe insulator to avoid any noise or cable rattling inside downtube

Nice trick! What kind of insulator cable did you use? In my 258 frame it rattles a bit and am due for some upkeep. When I take it apart, I might add a piece of insulation!

marq3z

« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2022, 10:24:07 AM »
Hi all, i just received today my lexon frame. I purchased with dnm shock but i cannot install the remote lock. Have any idea.? I cannot insert the wire directly. It seems to need an L addapter.
Thanks in advance
FB: Lexon MTB Riders

RongGearRob

« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2022, 10:31:14 AM »
Finally got the build completed and took it out for a ride yesterday...unfortunately on gravel due to a lot of recent rain.  While I wasn't able to pedal on miles of singletrack I did manage hit a few short rocky descents and climbs along with some wet roots and the bike handled it all very well (I set 3 new PRs without even trying).  On these features the bike felt very secure and the rear wheel really planted, I'm coming from a hardtail so this is one of the riding aspects I was looking forward to in a full suspension bike.  On the gravel trails it felt exactly like how an XC bike should feel, quick and snappy. 

On that point, based on current categorization the Riot is an XC bike, however when compared to my 2014 Specialized Crave with its 71.5 degree headtube angle, to me the Lexon Riot felt down right "Downcountry"  with its 68 degree HTA and longer fork travel (120mm vs 100mm).

My build is a couple pounds heavier than what I was shooting for weighing in at 27 pounds, than the targeted 25 pounds. However I don't think this will be too much of hinderance for the trails I ride along with the 2-4 races per year I compete in (CAT 2 middle of the pack).  I've never been overly concerned with weight, I like having a dropper post and BIG flat pedals, therefore if I wanted to shed some weight I could, change out the seat post, pedals, go with carbon rims, etc.  For now I think I'm set. By the way, I ended up mounting the new Mavic rear wheel and e13 cassette, the DT Swiss rear wheel that I was planning on using during the winter needs some new bearings in the hub. 

Below are all of the components:

Frame: Lexon Riot 10
Shock: Rockshox Monarch RL - Purchased with the frame
Fork: Rockshox Reba 120mm travel with Charger 2 damper - I upgraded the internals on old 100mm Reba
Wheels: Mavic Crossmax (142mm rear with spacers to conform to boost)- The wheels are a warranty replacement and Mavic wouldn't upgrade it to boost, the new front wheel hasn't been mounted yet but fits the fork without any need for spacers
Tires: F - Maxxis Ardent / R - Continental CrossKing - I like this set up, Ardent grips the corners well and the CrossKing is very efficient, good traction and rolls well. 
Cassette: e*13 11 speed, 9x46 - New and doubtful I'll be using the 9t cog too much, but the 46t granny gear is nice
Crank and Chainring: Sram dub 32t (non-boost) - This pairs well with the non-boost rear wheel, drivetrain shifting is spot on. (Never used before, I had purchased it for my old bike)
Pedals:  Pedaling Innovations Catalyst (I like big flat pedals, my 5/10 shoes really stick to these pedals) and from my old bike
Shifter: Sram GX 11 speed - From my old bike
Derailleur: Sram GX 11 Speed - From my old bike
Dropper Seat Post: PNW Loam 150mm travel - New
Dropper lever: Wolftooth - From my old bike
Saddle: Fizik Gobi M5 - From my old bike
Handlebars: Nukeproof  Horizon (carbon) - New, 780mm seems a little wide but want to ride them for awhile before making any adjustments
Stem: Ragley 50mm - New, It seems to be the right length
Brakes & Rotors: Shimano Deore (older reservoir version)  F - 180mm, R - 160mm - From my old bike
Grips: ODI waffle (old) - Switching up to PNW loam grips once they arrive
Cables: Jagwire - Also used the Jagwire foam in the downtube to keep the cables and brake hose from rattling
Wrap: Ride Wrap Covered - Help protect the frame from scratches along with some mastic tape in a couple of spots

Final thoughts, I'm pleased with Lexon Riot.  I've always done my own bike maintenance, but building a bike from the ground up was quite an experience and took a lot of patience.  The challenging part was using some old bike parts for the build and figuring out how to make them fit the latest standards.  Also, be prepared to buy the necessary tools if you don't already own them: torque wrench, headset press, brake line cable cutter and barb driver are the tools that I purchased during the build.  I'm going to need to get a bearing press sometime as well for future maintenance.

I have named my bike...The Rocket!

Many thanks to this site and those who contribute, I don't think I could have researched, purchased and built a mountain bike without Chinertown.com.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 11:41:02 AM by RongGearRob »

RongGearRob

« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2022, 10:19:13 AM »
Hit some proper XC single track trails yesterday that were snow and ice covered so I couldn't send it as hard as I would normally ride.  That said, so far I am very pleased with the frame and bike build overall: ride, feel, feedback, climbing, downhills, responsiveness, the ability to hammer through rock gardens, everything that I was looking for in a modern XC bike. The only area I haven't had the opportunity to test is hard cornering, the trails were just to slippery yesterday. 

A few comments on the components:

- The drivetrain with the e13 cassette is running great, I like having the 46T cog for the hill climbs.
- PMW Loam post is solid and works great.
- The upgraded Reba fork to 120mm travel works well with the frame.
- The Charger damper upgrade in the fork is really nice and much better than the crappy Rockshox motion control damper.  It is expensive but I'm glad I splurged.
- Nukeproof Horizon handlebars feel great, I did scrape a tree so I'm still thinking I will cut them down from the 800mm width to at least 780, maybe even down to 760.

I do have one question, early on in this thread someone indicated that you could add a second water bottle.  I don't see how this is possible inside the front triangle, the only way I can see is adding to the underside of the downtime via a strap, which would end up covered in dirt or mud...no thanks.  Does anyone have any other recommendations on how to accomplish a second water bottle on the frame?

I tried posting another photo but I kept getting an error message that the photo was too big, I reduced the size several times and finally just gave up.

RongGearRob

« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2022, 08:27:08 PM »
Quick update - I've had the chance to get in a few more rides on singletrack trails (albeit the trails are frozen rock hard) and the Lexon Riot has performed well.  Very good at descending, especially with the 120mm travel fork, I've managed to pick up several PR's. Nimble enough for corners and getting over rocks and roots while being solid on drops and jumps. It climbs well, even better after I swapped out the 32T chainring for a 30T to go with the E*13 9-46 11 speed cassette.   I can see maybe even dropping to a 28T chainring to go with the cassette. 

Danzer

« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2022, 10:54:26 AM »

My brazilian version of "Lexon RIOT" assembled with:
  • Sid Ultimate SL 100mm
  • SRAM xx1 AXS complete.(34T)
  • Sram Level Ultimate
  • Cockpit FSA Kforce
  • Chinese seatpost (700gms) with cable and lock.
  • Fabric Scoop carbon saddle.
  • DNM rear shox
  • Maxxis Ikon Tyres
  • DT Swiss 240 + Ztr Crest Rims
  • crankbrothers eggbeater 3

To lock the DNM rear suspension together with the Sid Ultimate I used the rockshox twistloc.
On the wheels, I mounted DT240 32H hubs because I have 110kg with zrtcresk mk3 rims.
(no one wants to take the weight off the cyclist, since the weight of the bike...  ;D )
The bike was 10.5 kg in its size "L"

About day to day use, the rear shock did not like, it reacts in different ways in different obstacles, it is difficult to adjust a perfect rebound. About the bike, as I said before, I'm pretty heavy, but I use it and abuse it on descents and climbs, the internal cables knock and make noise, the headset at first scares a little (I used it with 70 before) but with 2 or 3 laps around the xc circuit, I got used to it and had better times than with my hardtail.

I liked the frame.

Jotwoo

« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2022, 12:15:09 PM »
I’ve built a BXT hardtail before with full deore 12 speed as a first try and am now ready to build something serious! 

So I’ve also pulled the trigger on a Riot frame, the white edition with rockshox shock. I’ve also ordered at the Everjoy shop and got the integrated handlebar. Delivery should be in April at latest

The idea to build it with GX Eagle AXS, SID 120mm and my carbon elite wheels.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 12:49:12 PM by Jotwoo »

marq3z

« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2022, 04:56:11 PM »

My brazilian version of "Lexon RIOT" assembled with:
  • Sid Ultimate SL 100mm
  • SRAM xx1 AXS complete.(34T)
  • Sram Level Ultimate
  • Cockpit FSA Kforce
  • Chinese seatpost (700gms) with cable and lock.
  • Fabric Scoop carbon saddle.
  • DNM rear shox
  • Maxxis Ikon Tyres
  • DT Swiss 240 + Ztr Crest Rims
  • crankbrothers eggbeater 3

To lock the DNM rear suspension together with the Sid Ultimate I used the rockshox twistloc.
On the wheels, I mounted DT240 32H hubs because I have 110kg with zrtcresk mk3 rims.
(no one wants to take the weight off the cyclist, since the weight of the bike...  ;D )
The bike was 10.5 kg in its size "L"

About day to day use, the rear shock did not like, it reacts in different ways in different obstacles, it is difficult to adjust a perfect rebound. About the bike, as I said before, I'm pretty heavy, but I use it and abuse it on descents and climbs, the internal cables knock and make noise, the headset at first scares a little (I used it with 70 before) but with 2 or 3 laps around the xc circuit, I got used to it and had better times than with my hardtail.

I liked the frame.

Hi friend, could you tell me how did you install the wire of the remote lock of dnm shock? I used an "adapter" piece because i cannot install between the frame and shock

Thank you in advance
FB: Lexon MTB Riders

uraberg

« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2022, 06:38:44 PM »
The more I ride it, the more I like it  :)

The only issue I'm having is the 9-50 ZTTO cassette. The first one I got skipped on the smallest 5 cogs, the replacement still skips on the 9 tooth cog....

I was also interested in the headangle penalty for running a 100mm fork (505mm axle to crown), and lo and behold, I measured right at 67 degrees.

chetosmachine

« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2022, 01:51:17 AM »
@Danzer in which point do you have your rebound set? In the middel of the range, or very close to the limit?
I am also a heavy rider, even heavier than you, and i run high pressure in my shocks and high rebound and i find the rebound inconsistent. I believe it is just because we run the higher spectrum of the rider’s weight and we would benefit from custom tuned shocks, so we are not in the limit of the hydraulic range.

Zomb1e

« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2022, 03:24:27 AM »
The only issue I'm having is the 9-50 ZTTO cassette. The first one I got skipped on the smallest 5 cogs, the replacement still skips on the 9 tooth cog...
Nearly all people who tried using this cassette reported about problems with it. I've ordered Sroad 10-50T cassette (http://m.en.flysroad.cn/product/74.html) which seems to be much more suitable option for Sram drivetrain, but haven't tested it yet (still waiting for some small parts to start building a new bike).

RongGearRob

« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2022, 11:20:30 PM »
My experience as well with the ZTTO from a few years ago, I could never get it to shift right and gave up on it. 

saintrider

« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2022, 12:10:24 PM »
Ztto 9-50t...no problems....only mistery o had to sort out was afterr changing it to my new fiberin carbon wheels. The cassete was never fully thightened even with the correct torque so i had To include a spacer( which was not suposedly needed as my driver is XD not XDR.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 12:12:02 PM by saintrider »

Zomb1e

« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2022, 02:58:48 AM »
The cassete was never fully thightened even with the correct torque so i had To include a spacer( which was not suposedly needed as my driver is XD not XDR.
Does this cassette have plastic washer inside, like Sram ones?

saintrider

« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2022, 08:19:34 AM »
not that i remember no.