Author Topic: New Wheel Day - Elite Wheels BWT Disc  (Read 4662 times)

1Sigma

New Wheel Day - Elite Wheels BWT Disc
« on: July 12, 2021, 05:05:21 PM »
Received new wheels today - Elite Wheels BWT Disc
Pillar 1420 spokes F24, R24
RD13 34T star ratchet hubs, center-lock disc
Purchased direct from manufacturer and not through Elite's retail channel, so no branding

Sine wave pattern ala Princeton Grit 4540

Comes in at a respectable 1519g for the pair.

Price, including shipping and duties: $615USD

Better than average - Extra Average

RobertRinAustin

Re: New Wheel Day - Elite Wheels BWT Disc
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 10:07:00 PM »
Those look good. Keep us updated on how they ride and hold up.

Nickk2000

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 10:12:51 AM »
Can you shoot the link where you got them? Love the sinusoidal.

curvenut

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 03:07:43 PM »
Nice !
How much cheaper when you buy directly to the manufactorer ?

1Sigma

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 08:09:49 PM »
Here is the link for the wheel, although they have some other nice sets, like a natural carbon lightweight set

https://xmcarbon.en.alibaba.com/product/1600247326063-815335396/New_arrivals_BWT_road_disc_wheelset_45mm_rim_depth_29mm_width_tubeless_700c_carbon_wheelset.html?spm=a2700.shop_plgr.41413.37.64296d3emYFFnw

Available with DT Swiss hubs, for a price of course.

Here is the same wheel on their retail site (Elite Wheels)
https://www.elite-wheel.com/elitewheels-bwt-aerodynamics-wheelset-45mm-rim-depth-tubeless-compatible-p3119055.html
$833 with Elite (RD) hubs and shipping. So, not including a potential duties hit $218 cheaper buying direct

I'll let you all know how they ride - apparently they hold up better under cross-winds.  Of course, I won't know until my dang frame arrives!

RobertRinAustin

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 08:41:37 PM »
I need some new MTB wheels for my AM831 coming soon I hope. Might give these guys a try.

carbonazza

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 01:15:47 AM »
Received new wheels today - Elite Wheels BWT Disc...

What is the offered advantage of that rim shape?

1Sigma

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2021, 01:54:14 PM »
Apparently reduced drag, especially at different yaw angles, and less buffeting during cross-winds relative to standard toroidal shaped aero wheels.
Other knock on effects, the shallower areas use less material because they are shallower and apparently because less reinforcement is necessary resulting in thinner walls in the shallow areas, resulting I weight savings.... apparently

Haven't seen any independent studies, so it could all be baloney.

Nickk2000

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2021, 03:56:33 PM »
Apparently reduced drag, especially at different yaw angles, and less buffeting during cross-winds relative to standard toroidal shaped aero wheels.
Other knock on effects, the shallower areas use less material because they are shallower and apparently because less reinforcement is necessary resulting in thinner walls in the shallow areas, resulting I weight savings.... apparently

Haven't seen any independent studies, so it could all be baloney.

The sin shape does have benefits, princeton cw did release some numbers, this is just copying it.

As for weight, im gonna call bs on that. Weight is 1530 with dt350. You can get that with the normal shape at 50mm. I was hoping to see the 1400’s for them, then id be impressed. So right now theres a slight performance benefit but mostly looks, and those wheels are sure as hell pretty.

1Sigma

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2021, 04:41:07 PM »
The sin shape does have benefits, princeton cw did release some numbers, this is just copying it.

As for weight, im gonna call bs on that. Weight is 1530 with dt350. You can get that with the normal shape at 50mm. I was hoping to see the 1400’s for them, then id be impressed. So right now theres a slight performance benefit but mostly looks, and those wheels are sure as hell pretty.

In fairness to Elite, they make no specific claims to weight savings due to the shape. I think Princeton makes that claim (or someone reviewing the Princeton time said that. I don't remember) 

I think the UNC model gets into the 1400s

curvenut

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2021, 09:55:41 PM »
Here is the link for the wheel, although they have some other nice sets, like a natural carbon lightweight set

https://xmcarbon.en.alibaba.com/product/1600247326063-815335396/New_arrivals_BWT_road_disc_wheelset_45mm_rim_depth_29mm_width_tubeless_700c_carbon_wheelset.html?spm=a2700.shop_plgr.41413.37.64296d3emYFFnw

Available with DT Swiss hubs, for a price of course.

Here is the same wheel on their retail site (Elite Wheels)
https://www.elite-wheel.com/elitewheels-bwt-aerodynamics-wheelset-45mm-rim-depth-tubeless-compatible-p3119055.html
$833 with Elite (RD) hubs and shipping. So, not including a potential duties hit $218 cheaper buying direct

I'll let you all know how they ride - apparently they hold up better under cross-winds.  Of course, I won't know until my dang frame arrives!

I just check the alibaba vendor,  it says  Type: Tubeless

but is it clincher compatible too ??   I am confused.

1Sigma

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2021, 07:17:56 AM »

I just check the alibaba vendor,  it says  Type: Tubeless

but is it clincher compatible too ??   I am confused.

TLDR: It's a tubeless ready(TR)/tubeless compatible(TC) rim (these terms are interchangeable)
Meaning that it has a rim profile capable of accommodating a tubeless tire, but will still take a clincher as well. 

In reality, most tubeless rims are actually TR
In fact, the difference between TR rim and a standard clincher is pretty small. To the point where some have success converting a clincher rim to tubeless.  YMMV.
The rim profile on the TR just helps a tubeless tire mate better with the rim for a tighter seal.

However, there are dedicated tubeless rims where the spoke holes are covered, and they have a special rim profile to mate with special tubeless tires to create a seal with tape or sealant  (eg UST tubeless).
This is not that type of wheel.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 07:28:31 AM by 1Sigma »

Nickk2000

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2021, 08:21:25 AM »
To piggy back this, tubeless compatible wheels are hooked. You can get tubeless rims that are unhooked (hooked are called crotchet i think). Hookless tubeless rims can not fit a standard clincher. So make sure it contains a hook.

1Sigma

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2021, 02:15:16 PM »
Short review. 

The RD13 hub is noisy as all hell!  I know some people love this, and I can see some cases where it is useful, but Elite was not lying when they gave the hub a sound score of 4/10
Had to install 6-bolt to centerlock adapters.  It would not fit over the rear wheel.  Can't tell if it was the machining on the adapters, or the hub.  Default logic says it was the cheaper part (the adapter)

This was my first time mounting tubeless, but it was super easy.  I am also the Michelin Power Road tire, which is apparently one of the easiest tubeless to mount. 

I have not had a chance to run these in crosswinds, so I cannot report on stability.

GilardiRT

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2021, 03:41:03 PM »
Short review. 

The RD13 hub is noisy as all hell!  I know some people love this, and I can see some cases where it is useful, but Elite was not lying when they gave the hub a sound score of 4/10
Had to install 6-bolt to centerlock adapters.  It would not fit over the rear wheel.  Can't tell if it was the machining on the adapters, or the hub.  Default logic says it was the cheaper part (the adapter)

This was my first time mounting tubeless, but it was super easy.  I am also the Michelin Power Road tire, which is apparently one of the easiest tubeless to mount. 

I have not had a chance to run these in crosswinds, so I cannot report on stability.
I've ordered a set of ent disc, hope my hubs will be loud as yours, I would love that