Author Topic: Help a Clydesdale pick a new frame?  (Read 985 times)

Help a Clydesdale pick a new frame?
« on: July 13, 2021, 09:55:51 PM »
Hi all,

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

I built up a carbon 29er XC hardtail over the pandemic as my first foray into mountain biking. I've been absolutely loving it, and think I want to make the step up to a full suspension bike next season. There are an overwhelming number of options and I'm hoping I could use some of the community's expertise.

I'm a bigger guy, 6'2" and 240lbs (187cm and 110kg), and looking to build something that's more of a trail/all mountain bike. I've looked at a few options, FM1001 from Carbonda, LCFS713 & LCFS958 from LightCarbon, and CS-821 from XMCarbonSpeed. I don't know if these frames suit me and I'm not sure what exactly I should be looking for aside from front and rear travel in the 130-150mm range. I'm wondering if there is anything I should take into consideration because I'm a heavier rider?

I know technology in the bike world has really progressed the last few years. I was set on a 2x system and noticed there seems to be a lack of front derailleur mounting options on many frames. I'm not opposed to going 1x, as I know many people that love it, but having the flexibility to do both would be nice to have. I would just like to buy a frame that is current and not an obsolete style or geometry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time!

--VU

darius72

Re: Help a Clydesdale pick a new frame?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 11:47:35 PM »
I am or I was in the same situation as you: in 2013 I built a chinese XC bike with frame and wheels from carbonality: I am still riding the bike and happy with it.
Now I've decided to start a full suspension project (not the best time as due to covid there is lack of components and shipping rates from China skyrocketed).
I fell in love with with the Haideli 831 santa cruz clone and I ordered the frame: it covers my idea for a bike good downhill but that you can still pedal up; for sure this frame is a bet, nobody has received it yet, so no reviews so far, except that Haideli has a good reputation.
After reading a lot I understood that the most used/reliable full of reviews (even youtube) is ICAN P9: personally I don't like the geometry, too old for me.
The lightcarbon frames have good reviews here, so they are another option; this page (in russian use google translate) sinthetizes the situation:  https://alibuy.biz/2021/04/24/chidurro/
Concerning your weight I don't see  problems except suspensions tuning, if you , like me, don't do extreme jumps and such  things seen on youtube ;D:
Good luck with your next bike!

cybrsrce

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 09:27:45 AM »
Hi all,

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

I built up a carbon 29er XC hardtail over the pandemic as my first foray into mountain biking. I've been absolutely loving it, and think I want to make the step up to a full suspension bike next season. There are an overwhelming number of options and I'm hoping I could use some of the community's expertise.

I'm a bigger guy, 6'2" and 240lbs (187cm and 110kg), and looking to build something that's more of a trail/all mountain bike. I've looked at a few options, FM1001 from Carbonda, LCFS713 & LCFS958 from LightCarbon, and CS-821 from XMCarbonSpeed. I don't know if these frames suit me and I'm not sure what exactly I should be looking for aside from front and rear travel in the 130-150mm range. I'm wondering if there is anything I should take into consideration because I'm a heavier rider?

I know technology in the bike world has really progressed the last few years. I was set on a 2x system and noticed there seems to be a lack of front derailleur mounting options on many frames. I'm not opposed to going 1x, as I know many people that love it, but having the flexibility to do both would be nice to have. I would just like to buy a frame that is current and not an obsolete style or geometry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time!

--VU

I started poking through older topics and saw that you were thinking about jumping on the AM831 group buy.  That is a good choice. The medium has the same specs as a Santa Cruz Hightower 2 large so keep that in mind.
I'm about 6'1 1/2" and 215lbs (I ordered a medium AM831) and my only real recommendation is skip carbon rims unless the only thing you will be riding is flow trails with no jumps.  I'll take the combination of compliance and durability from a good old alloy wheel with a downhill casing rear tire.  You can't bang carbon back into place on the trail, ask me how I know...
If you're concerned with cadence due to gear jumps of a 1x then maybe a short travel 100-120mm rear travel bike that either has a direct mount or band capable option for a front derailleur. They're going to have steep head tube angles and are meant for XC or light trail.  2x for all-mountain and enduro has left the industry and long may that continue.

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 10:47:41 PM »
I started poking through older topics and saw that you were thinking about jumping on the AM831 group buy.  That is a good choice. The medium has the same specs as a Santa Cruz Hightower 2 large so keep that in mind.
I'm about 6'1 1/2" and 215lbs (I ordered a medium AM831) and my only real recommendation is skip carbon rims unless the only thing you will be riding is flow trails with no jumps.  I'll take the combination of compliance and durability from a good old alloy wheel with a downhill casing rear tire.  You can't bang carbon back into place on the trail, ask me how I know...
If you're concerned with cadence due to gear jumps of a 1x then maybe a short travel 100-120mm rear travel bike that either has a direct mount or band capable option for a front derailleur. They're going to have steep head tube angles and are meant for XC or light trail.  2x for all-mountain and enduro has left the industry and long may that continue.

Thanks for the input! Appreciate it