Author Topic: City/Hyper Cycling Carbon Soled Shoes  (Read 795 times)

1Sigma

City/Hyper Cycling Carbon Soled Shoes
« on: July 14, 2021, 07:19:04 PM »
Continuing to post parts and gear as they come in, for informational purposes

For practical reasons (stop and go, high traffic commuting) SPD shoes always worked better for, historically. 
The new build have the Titanium Speedplay-like pedals, so needed new shoes.
In the vein on trying all things Chiner, I sprung for the City Cycling C3.
Cost - about $115 to $120 USD

Build quality is ok.  The edges could be finished better where the upper meets the heel, and around the tongue area.
I am an 11.5US size, and their 45 fits comfortably snug.

Comes with 2 ATOP (Chiner BOA) fasteners. Sole can be remolded using heat (in the oven, or boiling in a bag) to match your foot shape while pedalling.

Surprisingly light a 595 grams.  Comparable to upper mid range shoes.

Generally well reviewed, but I have a knack for destroying apparel. Let's see if they fall apart!

Better than average - Extra Average

Nickk2000

Re: City/Hyper Cycling Carbon Soled Shoes
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 07:57:16 PM »
Continuing to post parts and gear as they come in, for informational purposes

For practical reasons (stop and go, high traffic commuting) SPD shoes always worked better for, historically. 
The new build have the Titanium Speedplay-like pedals, so needed new shoes.
In the vein on trying all things Chiner, I sprung for the City Cycling C3.
Cost - about $115 to $120 USD

Build quality is ok.  The edges could be finished better where the upper meets the heel, and around the tongue area.
I am an 11.5US size, and their 45 fits comfortably snug.

Comes with 2 ATOP (Chiner BOA) fasteners. Sole can be remolded using heat (in the oven, or boiling in a bag) to match your foot shape while pedalling.

Surprisingly light a 595 grams.  Comparable to upper mid range shoes.

Generally well reviewed, but I have a knack for destroying apparel. Let's see if they fall apart!

Please update this. Really interested in it! Tracevelo’s was a complete disaster but that was then, this is now, and his wasnt a carbon sole. Can you shoot the link over and how much did they cost?

bremerradkurier

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 04:40:58 PM »
I bought these around a year ago in the black/yellow combo in 42.5 at foot length of 263mm and the weight was around 520 grams for the pair; fit is snug.

Arch support is very good and the soles are super stiff and well contoured to SPD-SL cleats.  Upper fabric somehow manages to not be very breathable but soaks through quickly in rain at the same time-would really like to see a version with more mesh fabric in the upper.

No issues with stitching coming loose so far and heel pad wear has been minimal

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 10:13:25 AM »
I see you got those AliExpress speedplay pedals,How'd you find them? I had take mine off, found them an absolute nightmare to get clipped into

carbonazza

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 12:52:10 PM »
I see you got those AliExpress speedplay pedals,How'd you find them? I had take mine off, found them an absolute nightmare to get clipped into

I tried and it didn't work for me either.
I've read the cleats need to be perfectly flat, but I didn't try again.
I look forward to his reply too.

1Sigma

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 04:41:46 PM »

Going to have to wait and see.  Maybe I can test them on my current bike first.
I just have an irrational dislike of SPD-SL

zilcho

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2021, 04:57:38 PM »
I tried and it didn't work for me either.
I've read the cleats need to be perfectly flat, but I didn't try again.
I look forward to his reply too.

This is the case for real speedplays as well.  The key is to shim any gaps that would cause the plate to flex when tightened down, but small gaps between the shoe and plate are fine if it's still flat.  Also double check the 'C' clips in the cleat, on the real ones they are directional with a small bevel that should face out/away from the shoe.  I've installed them incorrectly before and clipping in was extremely difficult, followed by accidental unclipping.

1Sigma

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 02:01:39 PM »
So, I heat molded these shoes 2 ways. 
1) in a toaster over, using an external thermometer as a redundancy, and
2) the steaming method

In both cases, the soles were barely moldable.  In both cases the glue started coming undone. 
I was able to have the seams stick together, but I am not really sure anything happened with the shoe. 
I asked the vendor what the remedy is, and they replied "Use shoe glue"

The Fitgo (BOA) buckles work well so far, and tighten the shoe nicely.

The Speedplay cleat adapter plates did not sit flush against the sole, but that did not seem to affect using the cleats.
To me it just seemed like the cleats simply needed a breaking in period.  I used a bit of Fluid Film on it and simply clipped in and out until it became easier.
No issues clipping in now, and no accidental clipping (although I haven't tried them on a steep climb or sprint yet)

Also, I bought 1 size too small it seems.  I know road shoes should be more snug, but we'll see how the feet feel after a long ride.