Author Topic: Carbonda FM 1003 / Flybike FM 1266 180mm "Super Enduro"  (Read 27554 times)

FullCarbonAlchemist

Re: Carbonda FM 1003 / Flybike FM 1266 180mm "Super Enduro"
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2022, 01:06:18 AM »
I emailed Wing at Carbonda and she said the FM1003 is still available in M and L. Not sure about other sizes.

If I’m reading between the lines of what she said correctly, it’s still being actively produced.

zooky

« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2022, 09:55:59 PM »
There’s a somewhat similar issue with the FM1002 (and I assume 1001) where if you rinse off the bike, you have to tilt it really far both forward and backward to drain water out of the linkage and frame from the pivot points. I wonder if it’s possible to get water out of the FM1003 the same way or the only option really is to remove the BB (which is obviously not great).

Interesting!  I'll try it out after the next wash and let you know

promoto

« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2022, 02:50:07 AM »
Ive just drilled a 3mm hole in the Centre of the bottom bracket on my 831 frame works a treat

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2022, 10:26:13 AM »
Interesting!  I'll try it out after the next wash and let you know

Basically, you tilt the bike 90 degrees or more forward (leaning on the front wheel) and then even further back, almost upside down. This usually causes any water in the frame or stays to come out of the pivots on the stays or on the rocker arm.

Since your rear triangle is solid, it may be a different story there but hopefully this helps. Let us know if you do find any way to drain the water other than removing the BB, whether it’s this or something else….

Dave TN

« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2022, 05:15:09 PM »
Just got the initial paint proofs back from Katie at Carbonda. Zooky, I appreciate you taking the plunge first. At 100 kg, I should be able to give you some idea of durability though am really just getting started with local enduro runs and tend to shy away from huge drops and jumps. I went with pastel orange. Maybe a little lighter in color than I was envisioning but I think it'll look good with some dirt on it. Will keep you posted.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 05:17:22 PM by Dave TN »

Silverado123

« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2022, 12:49:03 AM »
This frame looks awesome! If I were in the market for something like this it would definitely be on the top of my list!

Jotegr

« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2022, 08:40:07 AM »
If these ever make it into XL I might need to pick one up. Did an enduro race this weekend on my 2018 140mm bike. I had one of the oldest, smallest bikes there at apparently one of the most technical and demanding stops in the series. I did well enough on the little bike but it sure makes me want one of these, haha.

Denys

« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2022, 12:42:48 PM »
Im also waiting for XL frame size to be finished. Will see in upcoming month if I can retire my Ican p9 for FM1003 or maybe the FS838. For the second option, I lost the hope they will finish it until next season. Will see.

zooky

« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2022, 08:23:31 PM »
Just got the initial paint proofs back from Katie at Carbonda. Zooky, I appreciate you taking the plunge first. At 100 kg, I should be able to give you some idea of durability though am really just getting started with local enduro runs and tend to shy away from huge drops and jumps. I went with pastel orange. Maybe a little lighter in color than I was envisioning but I think it'll look good with some dirt on it. Will keep you posted.

Looks good!  Let us all know how the paint job holds up for you please.

I've been doing a few drops lately (around hip to chest height) and bike has been flawless!  You shouldn't have any issues

zooky

« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2022, 08:25:14 PM »
Basically, you tilt the bike 90 degrees or more forward (leaning on the front wheel) and then even further back, almost upside down. This usually causes any water in the frame or stays to come out of the pivots on the stays or on the rocker arm.

Since your rear triangle is solid, it may be a different story there but hopefully this helps. Let us know if you do find any way to drain the water other than removing the BB, whether it’s this or something else….

Since last post i have washed my bike a few times.  I've tilted 90 deg back and forward.  I did see a few drops come out but nothing major.  Next wash i'll tilt more

Dave TN

« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2022, 07:18:39 AM »
Just barely had light enough at the end of the day to get it out and try our local trails last night. I can only compare it with my 2017 Diamondback Release aluminum framed bike (similar to a Santa Cruz 5010 in geometry). The FM 1003 definitely did what I needed it to. It climbs at least as well as my diamondback and just smashes through EVERYTHING on the descent. I took a couple of bad lines that put me into rocks that I normally try to avoid and found that I could just ride over them with impunity. I've had more pedal strikes on this bike than with my Diamondback, but I think it's mostly been my line choices. If I can get out of work early enough this afternoon, I'll give it some more seat time. I'm pretty pleased with it and the paint looks great so far.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 07:23:45 AM by Dave TN »

Draz

« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2022, 10:31:33 AM »

Just barely had light enough at the end of the day to get it out and try our local trails last night. I can only compare it with my 2017 Diamondback Release aluminum framed bike (similar to a Santa Cruz 5010 in geometry). The FM 1003 definitely did what I needed it to. It climbs at least as well as my diamondback and just smashes through EVERYTHING on the descent. I took a couple of bad lines that put me into rocks that I normally try to avoid and found that I could just ride over them with impunity. I've had more pedal strikes on this bike than with my Diamondback, but I think it's mostly been my line choices. If I can get out of work early enough this afternoon, I'll give it some more seat time. I'm pretty pleased with it and the paint looks great so far.

Such a nice build man, tell us more about the shock linkage if you can.

casual_build

« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2022, 11:42:25 PM »

I'm jealous that your paint turned out well, I have the exact same color on my FM1002 and let me tell you, paint from Carbonda is a roll of the dice.

If pedal strikes are an issue, I would consider putting a 29 wheel on the front. Your BB is 19.05mm (0.75in) lower on 27.5s than 29s and that makes a noticeable difference.
You can swap your Zeb lowers to accommodate a bigger front wheel and start riding a mullet. That'll raise the BB 10mm or so.

carbonazza

« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2022, 11:49:53 PM »
I'm jealous that your paint turned out well, I have the exact same color on my FM1002 and let me tell you, paint from Carbonda is a roll of the dice...

What was bad in your painting?

Dave TN

« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2022, 09:26:31 AM »
I got out again briefly last night. I climbed out of the valley on the main paved road that I've taken on my Diamondback many times. The idea was to compare climb times and effort expended on Strava. Mind you, my legs weren't fresh and I'm pushing 2.6" tires (instead of the Diamondback's 2.35" Hans Dampfs). Despite the differences, the climb times are almost identical. The real shocker was the descent. It actually felt like I was moving much slower than normal. I was losing daylight and not pushing hard because I couldn't see well enough to make out spacing for some of the jumps, so it was kind of a lackluster run. BUT when I checked Strava, I'd PR'd all of the downhill sections. I thought it might be harder to steer in switchbacks, but it was actually pretty composed and effortless. I get the feeling that when I figure out what input it needs from me, the FM 1003 is going to be very fast. I'm still fiddling with the rear shock settings and could really just use an entire day to get to know the bike. I really like the Rockshox Superdeluxe Ultimate and was pleased that the frame takes such a modern suspension component. Speaking of, the derailleur hanger appears to be Carbonda's version of the SRAM universal derailleur hanger system--except at a fraction of the cost. It's robust, I can't complain a bit about it, and htere should be replacements readily available anywhere. 

Draz: I'll try and get a picture of the rear suspension at full travel this weekend and post it for you. From my experience with the bike so far, it is a super-efficient linkage system. When I lock out the shock, it actually stays locked out and puts power to the ground. You can definitely tell you're pushing a steeper head-tube angle up hill but the suspension seems to make up for it. I may try some lighter trail tires on it at some point for a comparison--probably not this year yet though.

Casual_build: Agreed on the mullet build. I think I may actually be able to sneak a 29" wheel in the existing fork. My plan is to build up some 29" wheels this winter and see how it rides in spring. For now I'm just trying to be more mindful of my pedaling (and sharp cornering while pedaling on pavement). As for paint, I was hoping the gloss might make cleaning easier. It's only had two short rides so there's plenty of time to be let down. I should have it out again this weekend, weather permitting.