Author Topic: Carbonda FM 1003 / Flybike FM 1266 180mm "Super Enduro"  (Read 27682 times)

casual_build

Re: Carbonda FM 1003 / Flybike FM 1266 180mm "Super Enduro"
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2022, 06:10:57 PM »
Did Carbonda said something about it ?
Not sure what you mean? They did refund me 40$

Jotegr

« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2022, 08:40:59 AM »
Damn what bike parks are open into November? New England's got a secret...

stoveham

« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2022, 03:11:01 PM »
Damn what bike parks are open into November? New England's got a secret...

Highland bike park - they're typically open through veterans day. The weather this fall has been amazing, and we are looking at 70's again this weekend. Thanks, global warming??

The bike was exactly what I was expecting - point and shoot.  Where I had to be more selective of line choice to go fast through rough stuff on the Ripmo,  you can just point downhill and go. Soaked up those late season braking bumps with ease.

It has a longer wheelbase and longer chainstays so of course it doesn't handle as well through tight turns and slow tech but that's to be expected.

Did half my runs with the float x and half with the x2. The float was definitely more fun, but the X2 held up better in the chunk. So far this is exactly what I expected and wanted out of this frame.  We'll see how it holds up long term but for now I'll consider this another win from Carbonda.

Would be interesting to get a comparison against the Transition Spire...the Spire is a well reviewed bike that is more so in the FM-1003's category than the Ripmo.

Jotegr

« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2022, 06:58:48 PM »
Yeah, my brother is in Northern Ontario and somehow he's getting largely the same weather. That's awesome highland stays open so late - I didn't think anyone was later than Whistler at Canadian thanksgiving! Ours was a late fall too but then it flipped from lovely fall (climbed to 7000 feet at the end of October and no snow) to winter in like two days.

Great to hear you're enjoying the bike. I'm going to look at something enduro-y eventually, and Carbonda is a company I'd like to be dealing with as far as direct to consumer chinese bike companies go. Too bad they love their trunnion shocks though - you'll have to keep us posted on how those hold up!

Verbl Kint

« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2022, 09:44:29 AM »
One thing I’ve wondered about is the pivot chainline on the 1003, and how much running a bigger chainring would influence this.

I think an Ochain on this baby would be pure awesomesauce on rock gardens.   8) 8)

zooky

« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2022, 06:44:40 PM »
Good to see more people getting into this frame  ;D ;D

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2022, 12:59:56 AM »
Good to see more people getting into this frame  ;D ;D

I’m pretty excited to get one, as much as it might be overkill for a lot of my current pedal-up trail networks…because the one mild weakness of my FM1002 is the linkage flex. It’s reasonable for a trail bike like the 1001 which it’s also used on, but starts to get more noticeable at times when attacking gravity trails at high Gs/speeds. Not so much an issue of handling as one of ride feel, but one of the things I’ve been craving with this bike is a rear end more like the tank-y aluminum linkage of my previous GT Force LTS.

The FM1003 would seem to be able to deliver that, with the solid rear triangle. And it’s so capable that I could see myself riding more park next season. It would be a very interesting day on the hill if a bunch of us New England riders with 1003s ran into each other at Highland in the spring…
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 05:19:29 PM by FullCarbonAlchemist »

endo.alley

« Reply #112 on: November 25, 2022, 02:34:00 PM »
Are you saying it is the chainstays flexing? Or the shock linkage? I don't know why shock linkage would be a problem. Also what size FM1002 frame. And how big a rider are you? Does flex cause the bike to shimmy at high speeds? Or the tire to hit the sides of the stays?  I am on a medium, and I don't notice abnormal flex. Bummer. Now I am going to get anal and fixate on this with my recent fm1002 build when I ride it.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #113 on: November 25, 2022, 07:41:18 PM »
You really don’t need to. It’s nothing at all like we’re talking about with the AM831.

Firstly, I’m making a comparison to my last bike, a GT Force (LTS V1) there, which has one of the most overbuilt aluminum 4-bar linkages out there. Even that has some movement in it which I always felt was a little uneven side to side in that way almost all 4-bars are asymmetrical to accommodate the chainring and guide/bash mounts. The 1002 is much more even in the movement it has.

The 1002 uses the same linkage as the 1001, so it’s built a little bit on the lightweight side for an AM bike. The rocker arm in particular is daintier than I would’ve designed if I was engineering a 153mm bike of this caliber. When you lean the bike over hard on intense high speed/high-G trails, for someone like me at ~200lbs without gear, that’s mild but noticeable versus a giant hunk of aluminum like the Force LTS V1’s rocker arm. The Force V2 (current model, high pivot 4-bar) actually shed a ton of material from the linkage while keeping it aluminum even though the front triangles are now exclusively carbon.

Now, I was also talking about my 1002 at the end of the season with 725mi on the original bearings which have never been opened up or greased. I suspect they have at least a little rust and play in them by now, which made apparent rear end “flex” more noticeable. It was never a bad problem, or significantly affected handling though I did sometimes find myself wishing I had the money for fresh Enduro Max bearings sooner to see how much it helps.

I’ll be doing that next spring.

In conclusion, all this was as by way of comparison, both to my last bike and to what I’m considering as a second bike to go with the 1002 — the 1002 is an AM bike with a trail bike rear end and I’ve really enjoyed that in most ways but I think a 1003 will be inherently stiffer with only a single pivot and one piece, enduro-weight rear triangle. It will become my big mountain enduro & park weapon with some of the current 1002 parts like a Fox 38, while the 1002 will get new/refreshed bearings, a 36mm fork, and be my daily driver light-AM bike for local trails.

There’s no inherent problem with the 1002 of any kind, it’s just firmly an AM bike and the OEM bearings are probably not quite up to the level of punishment I dished out this year…whereas I’d like to add a really stiff enduro tank to my stable, and this time I will give the bearings a thorough examination/greasing before the build. Might even just install Enduro Max on the main pivot at least.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 07:47:37 PM by FullCarbonAlchemist »

Andrew Burns

« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2022, 04:38:22 PM »
I see that Sherpa appear to be selling this frame as the Olympus and some build options use a coil shock. Looking at the linkage plots in the first post I would have thought that this frame wouldn't suit a coil shock as the leverage ratio drops pretty linearly throughout the travel, wouldn't a frame designed for a coil shock have a progressively increasing leverage ratio throughout the travel? I suppose you could use a progressive spring on the coil shock, but I have no idea how well these work?

EDIT: Also I'm ~170cm tall and currently riding a medium giant with 435 mm reach and it feels ok but on the larger end (I'm generally right between small and medium frame sizes). The FM1003 geo shows reach for the small frame is 432 mm and the medium is 455 mm, which seems really long! Based on that would I be better off on the small FM1003 frame? The small looks larger in every dimension than my current medium-frame trail bike.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 05:06:52 PM by Andrew Burns »

Julian

« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2022, 05:52:31 AM »
I see that Sherpa appear to be selling this frame as the Olympus and some build options use a coil shock. Looking at the linkage plots in the first post I would have thought that this frame wouldn't suit a coil shock as the leverage ratio drops pretty linearly throughout the travel, wouldn't a frame designed for a coil shock have a progressively increasing leverage ratio throughout the travel?

Not at all. You can find plenty of heavy hitting frames with pretty linear leverage drops fit for running coils, including VPPs like the Santa Cruz V10/Nomad or horst links the Specialized Demo/Enduro.

And then you have frames with decreasing progressivity like the YT Capra or the Canyon Sender, perfectly fine running coils as well.

Increasing progressivity will mean diving through the mid travel and lower dynamic ride height, so definitely not only beneficial.

But as ever, it all depends on your personal preference and riding style. Numbers will only take you so far :)

Jotegr

« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2022, 10:38:25 AM »
I see that Sherpa appear to be selling this frame as the Olympus and some build options use a coil shock. Looking at the linkage plots in the first post I would have thought that this frame wouldn't suit a coil shock as the leverage ratio drops pretty linearly throughout the travel, wouldn't a frame designed for a coil shock have a progressively increasing leverage ratio throughout the travel? I suppose you could use a progressive spring on the coil shock, but I have no idea how well these work?

EDIT: Also I'm ~170cm tall and currently riding a medium giant with 435 mm reach and it feels ok but on the larger end (I'm generally right between small and medium frame sizes). The FM1003 geo shows reach for the small frame is 432 mm and the medium is 455 mm, which seems really long! Based on that would I be better off on the small FM1003 frame? The small looks larger in every dimension than my current medium-frame trail bike.

Well, you get all kinds out there. People swore up and down that a coil on the gen 3 Trek Slash was brilliant but the leverage ratio of that bike really wasn't meant for one.  That said, the leverage ratio is quite similar to a lot of 2018-2021 Enduroy bikes, most of which worked fine with a coil - it's nearly bang on the Instinct BC edition, for example.

Don't look at reach as the sole determining factor to bike fit. Look at (E)STA, ETT, Front center, and reach in combination to get an idea. There's a good chance your medium giant has a slacker STA than the 1003s, putting their ETT numbers pretty similar.

zooky

« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2022, 04:29:03 AM »
 :'( :'( :'(. Bit devo guys!

Had a fall today and just my luck where it happened, a rock was sticking out and has damaged the rear triangle brake calliper side just below it (see pics - sorry left pics full res to get full detail)

Is it bad (I feel like it is)?  Should I be concerned?

:'( :'( :( :(

carbonazza

« Reply #118 on: December 20, 2022, 08:07:14 AM »
Hit with a coin the area around and on the hit.
If the sound remains clear, not muted, ride it happily

chriton

« Reply #119 on: December 20, 2022, 09:50:20 AM »
No, it's bad but repairable.  Don't ride that until your can repair or replace.   You can see the cracks beyond jus the surface abrasion