Author Topic: Elite Wheels ENT vs Elite Wheels SLT vs Velobuild VB-RC  (Read 8960 times)

simonk

Elite Wheels ENT vs Elite Wheels SLT vs Velobuild VB-RC
« on: July 30, 2021, 02:41:37 PM »
I'm currently planning a build around a VB-R-168. When it comes to wheels, I've seen a lot of people opt for Elite Wheels, probably because of Trace Velo recommending them on Youtube.

Since I'm focused on reducing the total cost of my build, I currently have my eyes on the Elite Wheels ENT which are the cheapest option.

However, I would like to know if anyone has an opinion on whether the SLT might be worth the extra price. 

I'm also tempted to purchase the wheels from Velobuild since I believe they would arrive much faster than the Elite Wheels and they are only slightly more expensive. I have however no idea how they compare to the Elite Wheels ENT or SLT. I'm also not sure how the different hub choices compare (Novatec vs Powerway).

So I guess my question would be how would these four options compare:

Elite Wheels ENT 60 mm - 370 USD, 30 USD Shipping
Elite Wheels SLT 60 mm - 560 USD, 50 USD Shipping
Velobuild VB-RC-50 Novatec Hub - 360 USD, 100 USD Shipping
Velobuild VB-RC-50 Powerway Hub - 440 USD, 100 USD Shipping

Keep in mind I am shipping to Canada

Cheers, I love this community btw, super helpful and not snobbish!

1Sigma

Re: Elite Wheels ENT vs Elite Wheels SLT vs Velobuild VB-RC
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 08:38:51 PM »
I am in Canada as well
I went with Elite wheels (BWT Series)

Reason is simple.  Maybe VB wheels are good, maybe not but Elite is a dedicated wheel and hub manufacturer.
Also Elitewheels has a better selection of hubs (not the ENT), as well as lightweight spoke options.

If you are price conscious, get the wheels direct from Xiamen YuanAn Conposites on Alibaba
This is the name of the company that owns the Elite Wheels brand

I paid $715 CAD for the BWT wheel set with the Pillar 1420 upgrade, and RD13 hubs
This price includes shipping, but not duties, which you will likely get dinged with.
Compare to the price of the same wheels from the Elite site before shipping:
https://www.elite-wheel.com/elitewheels-bwt-aerodynamics-wheelset-45mm-rim-depth-tubeless-compatible-p3119055.html?currency=CAD

Elite also has an AliX store which is a bit cheaper than their retail site
Better than average - Extra Average

Matt_C

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 05:45:27 AM »
Elite ENT with upgraded pillar 1420 spokes for $50 is the best bang for your buck.

jokage

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 05:55:07 AM »
How's Elite's hubs? Are they reliable?

1Sigma

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 01:17:42 PM »
How's Elite's hubs? Are they reliable?

If I had a frame to put them on, I’d tell you.  Lol

I can tell you the RD13 model  is a 36T ratchet design, lighter than the DT Swiss 350, slightly heavier than the 240. 

Since it is ratchet, they do not hide the fact that they are noisy.
They also have hubs 6 pawls and ceramic bearings.

The ENT uses their default RD07 hub which is also 6 pawls. This is the one on Trace’s bike before he was gifted the newer farspeed wheels

Better than average - Extra Average

Yunglord

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 06:25:27 PM »
Hey!

I've been using this pair of Elite Wheels - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002657695655.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4cf24c4drhwYhE

They come with their low resistance rd-16 hubs laced with sapim cx-rays spoke weighting in at 1438g without tape.

Have done 1000km with them so far and no issue except they might not be the stiffest wheels ever.

simonk

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 09:03:47 PM »
Thank you everyone for your insights. I ended up going with the Elite Wheels ENT: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000033583741.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2f384c4duaWjnh

The production time is said to be around 10 working days and about a month for shipping to Canada. It'll take a while but I believe its the best option for my budget build.

Yunglord

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2021, 11:44:28 AM »
I waited 10 days for the production and then shipping ended up being by DHL to Montreal so I received my wheels in less then 3 weeks,

simonk

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2021, 12:58:57 PM »
I waited 10 days for the production and then shipping ended up being by DHL to Montreal so I received my wheels in less then 3 weeks,

Wow that's great to know! I'm in Quebec also, hopefully the same happens to me.

Thanks

failstone

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2021, 06:01:00 PM »
That’s great. I’m in Ontario. Did you order through their website or aliexpress? They messaged me to extend shipping time on aliexpress so they can manufacture.

simonk

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2021, 07:51:49 AM »
That’s great. I’m in Ontario. Did you order through their website or aliexpress? They messaged me to extend shipping time on aliexpress so they can manufacture.

I ordered using Aliexpress. They messaged me the same thing and I extended my order. They sent me a shipping confirmation a few days ago.

failstone

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 07:41:57 AM »
Just got my shipping confirmation. Likely the last component to show up now.

GilardiRT

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2021, 01:47:59 PM »
Just got my shipping confirmation. Likely the last component to show up now.
Do I have to extend it as well?
I've ordered a couple of wheels a week ago, they already got manufactured and are ready to be shipped, I'm in italy

failstone

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2021, 09:18:02 PM »
Do I have to extend it as well?
I've ordered a couple of wheels a week ago, they already got manufactured and are ready to be shipped, I'm in italy

Yes I had to extend. Ordered 19 August shipped 1 September. We’ll see on delivery time.

failstone

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2021, 08:10:31 AM »

What sort of shipping notification did you get. I'm thinking my shipping will take 2-3 weeks based on what I've seen.

Who knows though, my frame and brakes took a week.