Author Topic: Airwolf  (Read 1207 times)

nicklej

Airwolf
« on: August 10, 2021, 01:41:00 AM »
Hi. I am going to be doing my first Chinese build soon as want something I can swap parts onto.

Has anyone used this frame?: https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0eEQP5

I like the geometry and is very much like the Santa Cruz high ball I sold recently.

Thanks
Jake

Gigelz

Re: Airwolf
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 05:36:54 AM »

Boybiskit

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 03:48:50 PM »
I came to the same conclusion as you! Best combo of geometry / boost / price I could find.

Mine arrived yesterday and I'll post more once the build is done. The Airwolf store on Aliexpress was very responsive and sent pics before shipping. In total it took 6 weeks from ordering to delivery. I think painting delayed it quite a bit.

I'd hesitate to recommend it yet because I haven't built it, but experience has been great so far and finish seems excellent. I don't have the issues mentioned in the post above: dropouts are fine and aligned, and my fork (2018 Sid RL) clears the downtube on my size large frame. The 2.4 inch max tire clearance seems conservative. I've test fitted a 2.35 Barzo on a 30mm rim and there is quite a bit of room.

Hope this helps!

nicklej

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 11:46:33 PM »
I came to the same conclusion as you! Best combo of geometry / boost / price I could find.

Mine arrived yesterday and I'll post more once the build is done. The Airwolf store on Aliexpress was very responsive and sent pics before shipping. In total it took 6 weeks from ordering to delivery. I think painting delayed it quite a bit.

I'd hesitate to recommend it yet because I haven't built it, but experience has been great so far and finish seems excellent. I don't have the issues mentioned in the post above: dropouts are fine and aligned, and my fork (2018 Sid RL) clears the downtube on my size large frame. The 2.4 inch max tire clearance seems conservative. I've test fitted a 2.35 Barzo on a 30mm rim and there is quite a bit of room.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the feedback!
I pulled the trigger last night anyway lol so will have to wait for it to come into the UK now.

I have a lot of components to swap and hope to get a build of about 8.5kg when all is said and done

Boybiskit

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 10:47:19 PM »
Fingers crossed yours shows up soon!

I've been fiddling while I wait for wrap to arrive. Frame is 1150g with thru axle and clamp.

I test fitted a 2.6 Rekon on the back and it fits with more space than there was on the Scott the tire came on! Airwold claim a max of 2.4.

The silver bottle cage bolts looked a bit cheap so I've sprayed them matte black.

Very happy with my custom stickers!

The headset fits with no issues at all.

nicklej

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 02:16:12 AM »
Fingers crossed yours shows up soon!

I've been fiddling while I wait for wrap to arrive. Frame is 1150g with thru axle and clamp.

I test fitted a 2.6 Rekon on the back and it fits with more space than there was on the Scott the tire came on! Airwold claim a max of 2.4.

The silver bottle cage bolts looked a bit cheap so I've sprayed them matte black.

Very happy with my custom stickers!

The headset fits with no issues at all.

Thanks for the info. I have ordered all my parts this week and have a spreadsheet of expected weight. I’ll actually weigh the parts when I get them though.

Build will be about 7.8kg with rigid fork and just under 8.8kg with a 100mm fork.

Can you tell me what headset you went with please?

Boybiskit

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 03:28:22 PM »
The frame comes with a headset. I'm using that. It comes with an expanding bolt, but my fork already had a star fangled nut installed so I'm using that.