Author Topic: Disk Brake Centerlock Lock Rings  (Read 719 times)

jstrawks

Disk Brake Centerlock Lock Rings
« on: August 11, 2021, 07:30:37 AM »
Do these typically come with wheels, with brakes, or need to be purchased separately?

In my case, the wheel vendor would be Farsports (with a Bitex 312 hubs and an XDR freehub), and the brake set would be SRAM Force.

carbonazza

Re: Disk Brake Centerlock Lock Rings
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 07:41:51 AM »
You need to buy them.
Usually they come with Shimano brakes, because it is their invention, but for other brands you need to insure one of the provider, hub, disc, or wheelbuilder provide you with some.

There are two types of rings.

Inside lockring, you tighten with a cassette lockring tool. Usually for 12mm axles.
However, some front hub, need a cassette lockring tool that is thinner.
As the endcap may not leave enough room for some tools.
DT-Swiss 240, some Novatec have this issue.
Unfortunately I do not have experience with Bitex.

Outer lockring, you tighten with a BSA hub tool. Usually for 15 and 20mm axles. And for the unlucky 12mm axles above too.
In that case, you need to insure your frame provide clearance as it is thicker, and may interfere with the frame.

Nickk2000

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 03:03:37 PM »
I own force axs and i just bought a set from trp. Like another $20. I bought the ones that use a cassette lockring tool, because the outside threaded ones are sometimes meant for 15mm axles.

Annoying that you have to buy them on top of the grouppo but it is what it is.
You have to buy them separatey.

1Sigma

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 09:11:11 PM »
Hi all,

I am trying to fit the centerlock adapters now, and find them extremely tight.
Like, "need a mallet" tight .

Before I take a mallet to it, just want to confirm that this is not normal, and that they should just slide on.  Is that correct?

Edit: either the adapter was machined a fraction too small, or the hub was machined a fraction too large.  Used a hacksaw blade to file between the splines of the adapter just enough to make it fit.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 04:11:18 PM by 1Sigma »
Better than average - Extra Average

jstrawks

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 07:12:01 AM »
Hi all,

I am trying to fit the centerlock adapters now, and find them extremely tight.
Like, "need a mallet" tight .

Before I take a mallet to it, just want to confirm that this is not normal, and that they should just slide on.  Is that correct?

Edit: either the adapter was machined a fraction too small, or the hub was machined a fraction too large.  Used a hacksaw blade to file between the splines of the adapter just enough to make it fit.

What 'adapter' are you referring to? The lock rings? What brand hub and lock ring were you having this trouble with?

1Sigma

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 09:30:14 AM »
What 'adapter' are you referring to? The lock rings? What brand hub and lock ring were you having this trouble with?

This one.  My rotors are 6-bolt. My wheels are centerlock.
The adapter allows you to mount 6-bolt to center lock.

The splined part of he adapter was a fraction too tight.

The lock ring was fine, and threaded perfectly.  Tightened in place with a BB wrench, as opposed to a cassette tool

jstrawks

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 11:20:52 AM »
Ahh, I see. Thanks for explaining.

zilcho

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 12:35:50 PM »
This one.  My rotors are 6-bolt. My wheels are centerlock.
The adapter allows you to mount 6-bolt to center lock.

The splined part of he adapter was a fraction too tight.

The lock ring was fine, and threaded perfectly.  Tightened in place with a BB wrench, as opposed to a cassette tool

The splined part has very tight tolerances in my experience and takes some effort to install but never needed a mallet for it.  Did you try just a small amount of grease on the splines?

1Sigma

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 02:40:33 PM »
The splined part has very tight tolerances in my experience and takes some effort to install but never needed a mallet for it.  Did you try just a small amount of grease on the splines?

Thanks Zilcho,
One of the 2 adapters worked like you said: very tight, and with some effort.
The other one wouldn't work with grease.
I tried heat expanding the part, which got it to go part way.  Then I had the problem of it cooling and firmly locking on to the hub half way.

After carefully shimmy it off, I just started sanding away at it little by little with a hacksaw blades between each spline until it just barely fit.

I suppose at the prices we pay for some AliX stuff, this is bound to occur from time to time