Author Topic: Just another Og-Evkin CF-025 Build  (Read 7058 times)

markchia

Just another Og-Evkin CF-025 Build
« on: September 04, 2021, 06:36:42 AM »
Finally built the 100% Aliexpress bike I've been wanting to do for a while. Or at least, it would have been 100% if not for a couple of broken parts. Specs and a mini review below:

Specs:
Frame - Og-Evkin CF-025 Superlight T800
Wheelset - Og-Evkin Battle C45 45mm deep clincher | Ultralight Novatec FS61/62 Carbon Hubs
Tyres - Continental GP5000
Handlebars - Carbon Og-Evkin HB-011
Stem - FSA Omega 80mm
Groupset: Shimano 105 R7000
Pedals - Knockoff Shimano SPD's
Seatpost - Carbon Og-Evkin SP-008
Saddle - Og-Evkin

Weight: 7.3kg, if my Aliexpress weighing scale is to be believed

Compared to some of the chiner frames i've seen on the internet, the finishing on this frame is superb. The fork steerer was somewhat uneven but I don't think it's a big issue. My only complaint regarding the frame would be the front mech hanger screws. Mine rounded the first time I tried tightening them, and they only give spares for the rear hanger. I'd request for extras or get some better ones in advance. I bought the og-evkin wheelset mostly for convenience, but I'm actually quite happy with it. Braking feels better than my elitewheels set, and unlike the latter, these actually arrived true.

- I actually ordered the Og-Evkin SM-004 Stem but one of the threads came stripped. Thats the 2nd carbon stem I've ordered on Ali and the 2nd that has arrived like that.

- The saddle is just a random saddle being sold by a bunch of other stores as well, and its definitely not worth it. Feels really cheap and isn't particularly comfortable.

- The Ultegra SPD replicas broke literally within the first 2km, despite the decent reviews. I suppose its good that they broke fast while I can still get a refund.

I'm too casual a rider to comment on the technical aspects i.e stiffness, etc, and I haven't done a proper ride with it yet, but it does feel a bit more nimble than my old Merida Scultura, thought thats probably because it's lighter and smaller.

I was gonna ride to a nice place to take some nice photos but the crazy weather didn't allow it, so, apartment hallway it is

GilardiRT

Re: Just another Og-Evkin CF-025 Build
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 06:56:42 AM »
beautifull! that was my firt choice before i bought velobuild 168 frame
why did you get a second pair of wheels if you already had the elitewheels?

markchia

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 07:49:27 AM »
beautifull! that was my firt choice before i bought velobuild 168 frame
why did you get a second pair of wheels if you already had the elitewheels?

Ah I sold them together with my previous bike. I considered getting elitewheels again but they've bumped up their prices by $200usd since last year

bremerradkurier

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 06:35:16 PM »
My older OG.

SCassa

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 08:15:36 AM »
Mark, good looking build. I'm interested in more comparison to your past bikes as for ride quality. Do you think there has been improvements over the years?
What size did you get and did you weigh the frame by it self. Fork? Frame-fork-rear derailleur and headset together?

douglasseattle

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 10:10:35 PM »
UNO stems are CHEAP and the lightest.  I have been using one for years. 

markchia

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 11:47:03 AM »
Mark, good looking build. I'm interested in more comparison to your past bikes as for ride quality. Do you think there has been improvements over the years?
What size did you get and did you weigh the frame by it self. Fork? Frame-fork-rear derailleur and headset together?

I can't say I have a whole lot to compare to since i've only tried a handful of road bikes over the years, but it feels good. I'd say it feels stiffer than my merida scultura 2016. I'm 172cm and got the XS, no complaints so far. And no I forgot to weight individual parts

Velovelo

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2022, 04:36:47 AM »
How is this frame holding up so far?
Looks like a good contender for a light weight rim brake build in Q1 2023.
I know Velobuild has similar frame but it will be nice to try OG-EVKIN for change.

markchia

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2023, 01:50:51 AM »
How is this frame holding up so far?
Looks like a good contender for a light weight rim brake build in Q1 2023.
I know Velobuild has similar frame but it will be nice to try OG-EVKIN for change.

I don't ride on the roads as much now so I haven't been using it a whole lot but overall I'm still happy with it. Nothing really to complain about.

As a side note for anyone considering the Og-Evkin wheelset: I switched to a tubeless setup with Pirelli Cinturato Velos and they are very loose. They do hold air, but I've had a few cases where they randomly start deflating mid ride. If you're like me and you forget to top up sealant regularly I'd go for a tighter fitting tyre.